ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Human charities v Wildlife Animal charities (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1058279-human-charities-v-wildlife-animal-charities.html)

coolangatta 01 March 2019 07:15 PM

Human charities v Wildlife Animal charities

I'm much more inclined to contribute to animal and wildlife/nature charities than those which support humans. You too? No? Discuss.

the shreksta 01 March 2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 12046445)
I'm much more inclined to contribute to animal and wildlife/nature charities than those which support humans. You too? No? Discuss.

same here. i love animals and hate humans so its an easy choice

coolangatta 01 March 2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12046446)
same here. i love animals and hate humans so its an easy choice

I'm with you. We are very sad creatures. Not enough to survive. Destroy, exploit, ignore polute etc.

RobsyUK 02 March 2019 06:23 AM

I have to a human charity.. they had the nurve to want double a month after a short while.
animals are just greatful but I can’t help but wonder how much really goes to them.

scotty boy 80 02 March 2019 09:51 AM

Neither, I don't believe in giving money to charity unless it's a local organisation giving back to small meaningful set ups

tarmac terror 02 March 2019 03:43 PM

I will not donate a single penny to any charity where its CEO is earning taking the same salary as a counterpart in a FTSE 100 company - that eliminates about 90% of the charities which are household names. There are a very small number of local charities who are doing their best for homelessness - bizarrely where I live there is wealth aplenty, yet a foodbank within half a mile - they get a monthly delivery from me as a means of giving something back.

RSPCA is a despicable charity IMO - do some research into the number of health animals they destroy year on year.

SWRTWannabe 02 March 2019 05:49 PM

I do wonder about charities that look at research into diseases, like cancer. A lot of money must go into these charities, but what do we see in return? To me, it just seems like we see companies that manufacture drugs charging so much for them that the NHS can't afford them. So, through charity, people have paid for the research, and the drug manufacturers are just cashing in on it. I could of course be mistaken - it's purely an impression I have.

Animals on the other hand didn't ask us to destroy their habitat etc.

Pross 02 March 2019 06:48 PM

I donate monthly to the local air ambulance.

urban 04 March 2019 12:29 PM

I agree about the household named charities with directors taking ridiculous salaries.
Even animal charities have problems, there is a big animal sanctuary in Co. Down, Northern Ireland, which also now employees an expensive CEO.

BMWhere? 04 March 2019 01:13 PM

See my post in the NHS thread, at the moment I'm very grateful to any cancer research charities. My dad has a very rare form of cancer that probably wouldn't have been researched if it wasn't for charitable donations as its not something the drug companies would have seen as profitable enough to warrant research funding. The result is a new drug which will prolong my dads life and suppress the symptoms of his cancer.

I do however have a problem with many of the religious based charities such as Christian Aid or CAFOD who bundle their aid with religious propaganda and the whole charity is simply a body for spreading their religious doctrine.