ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine coolant (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1058277-engine-coolant.html)

Matty81 01 March 2019 01:53 PM

Engine coolant

im going to be changing my oem coolant hoses to samco hoses tomorrow and what I wanted to ask was what coolant fluid people are using as a replacement ?. I’ve always had green Granville in mine and used prestones as a top up if needed. I’ve been looking at Evans powercool 180, and was wondering whether this could be used on top of any Granville coolant that may be left in the pipes/tanks after I’ve changed them ?.

Cheers

Gambit 01 March 2019 05:45 PM

Unless you intend flushing out everything I wouldn't be putting different in on top of remains of another

Matty81 01 March 2019 06:12 PM

Prestone is a universal coolant which is suitable for all coolants, but I’ve only ever put a tiny amount in if I’ve needed too. Next time I see my mate I’m gonna ask him to flush it all out and use a product that’s a bit easy to buy. Might try comma next time.

RobsyUK 02 March 2019 06:33 AM

Comma - this is what I used.
my import came with green in so I bought a bottle of green labelled comma. (They has all sorts of coloured labels)
poured this what looked like terquise colour in and then asked questions - turns out comma green label is their BLUE coolant!
And I needed pink..

emptied the blue and filled wkth water - run the heating and dropped it.

Started again with pink and now I have a dark pink / purple colour.

I will flush it again at 3,000 miles when I do the oil but I was surprised how much was still left in the system.

Matty81 02 March 2019 06:53 AM

When I spoke to opie oils yesterday I was told by one of the tech guys that they normally recommend millers red because Subaru coolant needs to be OAT based. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I’ll get the system drainedamd I will use some of that.

Matty81 02 March 2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12046491)
Comma - this is what I used.
my import came with green in so I bought a bottle of green labelled comma. (They has all sorts of coloured labels)
poured this what looked like terquise colour in and then asked questions - turns out comma green label is their BLUE coolant!
And I needed pink..

emptied the blue and filled wkth water - run the heating and dropped it.

Started again with pink and now I have a dark pink / purple colour.

I will flush it again at 3,000 miles when I do the oil but I was surprised how much was still left in the system.

wouldn’t it be easier if they just labelled it up blue green or pink!. I know Halfords well the pink labelled comma. Is the pink one definitely the green coolant then ?.

RobsyUK 02 March 2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 12046551)

wouldn’t it be easier if they just labelled it up blue green or pink!. I know Halfords well the pink labelled comma. Is the pink one definitely the green coolant then ?.

the green is blue and the pink is pink - pink is in a clear bottle and the rest are in a dark grey.
they do a violet too just to confuse more