ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   veering off to the right on its own! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1058250-veering-off-to-the-right-on-its-own.html)

Alby203 26 February 2019 07:54 PM

veering off to the right on its own!

On my Uk blob sti non dccd suffers with a couple of symptoms which i just cant figure out...
firstly it has the legendary clunk at very slow speeds ie parking on full lock front the front R/H side but only after the cars been driven for a while and also when the steering wheel is held dead straight on acceleration whether its light or hard it veers off to the right,then when you remove your foot from the pedal it veers back to centre all while the steering wheel is held dead straight.
anyone have any ideas. Iv checkd the driveshafts and cv joints they seem fine??

Russell38 26 February 2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Alby203 (Post 12046166)
On my Uk blob sti non dccd suffers with a couple of symptoms which i just cant figure out...
firstly it has the legendary clunk at very slow speeds ie parking on full lock front the front R/H side but only after the cars been driven for a while and also when the steering wheel is held dead straight on acceleration whether its light or hard it veers off to the right,then when you remove your foot from the pedal it veers back to centre all while the steering wheel is held dead straight.
anyone have any ideas. Iv checkd the driveshafts and cv joints they seem fine??

Lower ball joint ?

Alby203 26 February 2019 09:05 PM

Havent chekced that... is the best way to diagnose have car in the air n check for play up n down and left n right?
Cheers

Russell38 26 February 2019 09:22 PM

Get a pry bar and have a good pry around that area

Alby203 26 February 2019 09:49 PM

Will do thanks for the advice

Hawkeye D 26 February 2019 10:13 PM

OSF (R/H) track rod end? It's attached to the steering rack and goes to the hub. Yes, jack the car up and wiggle the OSF wheel left to right (3 and 9 o'clock) then 12 and 6 o'clock. Check both front wheels like that whilst you're there.

You may hear a knocking ball joint or track rod end. As said have a good pry in that area.
My money is on either or both those joints.....considering you are holding the steering wheel straight, there is obviously some (or a fair bit) of play.
Sounds like it's torque steering and the OSF wheel isn't being kept in alignment under any torque / traction.
I have a Hawk STi, and my steering was twitchy, it favoured to the left on uneven surfaces, like tramlining but different, turned out NSF track rod end.

ZANY 27 February 2019 01:58 PM

I changed the wishbone bushes ball joints etc and it was my crappy tyres in the end

when ever there was more of a camber on the roads it would do it more and less on others