ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Need for a tune after HKS SSQV BoV install ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1058243-need-for-a-tune-after-hks-ssqv-bov-install.html)

fordy520 26 February 2019 03:52 PM

Need for a tune after HKS SSQV BoV install ?

Hi folks, generally new to the forum, I have a new shape 2014 STI completely stock, been waiting to pull the trigger on a HKS SSQV BoV (http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1237) along with an Invidia R400 cat-back.

I've heard two sides of the argument that you need a tune after a BoV install because of MAF readings, creating rich and lean conditions which the ECU tries to counter, resulting in pops and bangs.
So is it safe enough to run a BoV stock tune as PSi I'm running is stock, or do I need a tune also ? If I've missed a forum discussion on this topic let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

The Rig 01 March 2019 02:09 PM

If you are just fitting the BOV you will be fine.
The miniscule amount of affect on the AFR`s to your mpg will be the same as acclerating quickly that 1 extra time off the lights

fordy520 01 March 2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 12046391)
If you are just fitting the BOV you will be fine.
The miniscule amount of affect on the AFR`s to your mpg will be the same as acclerating quickly that 1 extra time off the lights

So you think if I go with exhaust and BoV I would need a tune ? But either or I should be fine stock tune ?

Russell38 01 March 2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by fordy520 (Post 12046393)
So you think if I go with exhaust and BoV I would need a tune ? But either or I should be fine stock tune ?

you won’t need a remap unless you getting a sports cat or decat

The Rig 01 March 2019 03:45 PM

The Invidia R400 cat-back is a more free flowing exhaust compared to stock, you wont "need" a remap but, you may find the better exhaust actually hinders power a bit , maybe not noticable on the road though.

BrownPantsRacing 01 March 2019 04:00 PM

The R400 catback is 3" and the standard system is 2.5" How do you plan to mount the exhaust to the standard downpipe?

You may well need a remap if you're freeing up that much exhaust restriction.

LewisScoob 01 March 2019 04:12 PM

Its a 2.5, its on borrowed time anyway :lol1:

fordy520 01 March 2019 04:16 PM

@BrownPantsRacing I believe there is an adapter from downpipe to 3" mid pipe available, I've researched around and people saying stock tune fine for exhaust, I'm curious if a catback and BoV would be enough to categorize a "Stage 1" remap. I know aftermarket intake and catback would be.
Again, open to advice and opinions :)

BrownPantsRacing 01 March 2019 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by fordy520 (Post 12046405)
@BrownPantsRacing I believe there is an adapter from downpipe to 3" mid pipe available, I've researched around and people saying stock tune fine for exhaust, I'm curious if a catback and BoV would be enough to categorize a "Stage 1" remap. I know aftermarket intake and catback would be.
Again, open to advice and opinions :)

Aftermarket intake is not "stage 1" tune. a typical "stage 1" tune will be an uprated panel filter not CAI system. You can run the standard airbox with an uprated filter happily up to 400bhp.

If I were you I'd get it mapped with the upgrades on anyhow, will transform the car. No point fitting these upgrade parts if you're not going to make the most of them with an ECU tweak.

Also worth upgrading the fuel pump.

fordy520 01 March 2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12046406)
Aftermarket intake is not "stage 1" tune. a typical "stage 1" tune will be an uprated panel filter not CAI system. You can run the standard airbox with an uprated filter happily up to 400bhp.

If I were you I'd get it mapped with the upgrades on anyhow, will transform the car. No point fitting these upgrade parts if you're not going to make the most of them with an ECU tweak.

Also worth upgrading the fuel pump.

I wouldn’t be too sure on remapping from 300 to 400bhp with the only mod being a better filter :wonder:

I’m not looking for upgraded performance or going into the whole Fuel pump, injectors route, just looking to bring out the Boxer rumble and a BoV.

But I do understand where your coming from because I’ve heard 2.5s don’t react well to the smallest of mods without a tune also, but also hearing other side of the story. I guess I might just do one at a time and see how the car reacts and then remap if necessary?

BrownPantsRacing 01 March 2019 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by fordy520 (Post 12046408)

I wouldn’t be too sure on remapping from 300 to 400bhp with the only mod being a better filter :wonder:

I’m not looking for upgraded performance or going into the whole Fuel pump, injectors route, just looking to bring out the Boxer rumble and a BoV.

But I do understand where your coming from because I’ve heard 2.5s don’t react well to the smallest of mods without a tune also, but also hearing other side of the story. I guess I might just do one at a time and see how the car reacts and then remap if necessary?

I didn't say a change of panel filter would take your car from 300 to 400bhp. Blimey.

I was suggesting parts worth upgrading. There are sticky notes on this site that will help you greatly with upgrade paths. You would do well to look at these, they are very helpful indeed.

wrx2005 01 March 2019 05:07 PM

Wtf is a tune....stupid Americanism
it's a remap

fordy520 01 March 2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by wrx2005 (Post 12046410)
Wtf is a tune....stupid Americanism
it's a remap

Ta lad, dead helpful input :thumb:

fordy520 01 March 2019 06:12 PM

@BrownPantsRacing thanks for your suggestions mate, will deffo take on board :)

TheAngryFerret 01 March 2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12046401)
The R400 catback is 3" and the standard system is 2.5" How do you plan to mount the exhaust to the standard downpipe?

Ive fitted a 3inch system to a standard size downpipe using original conical gasket, springs and bolts. I made a 5 mm spacer ring to push the conical gasket forward. It is possible.

BrownPantsRacing 01 March 2019 06:16 PM

Have a look through this thread and read the tuning guide in the link, it's a great starting point.

https://www.scoobynet.com/934398-eng...g-guide-4.html

ZANY 02 March 2019 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12046428)
Have a look through this thread and read the tuning guide in the link, it's a great starting point.

https://www.scoobynet.com/934398-eng...g-guide-4.html

tuning guide!! Don’t you mean remapping guide:lol1:

:facepalm: ffs had to get that one in sir BPR blame the caffeine :thumb:

NAF 08 March 2019 10:22 AM

Tomatoe / Tomatoes ;)