ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Hesitation and lethargic below 3k (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1058101-hesitation-and-lethargic-below-3k.html)

Ste333 17 February 2019 10:17 AM

Hesitation and lethargic below 3k

as per the title really. My 06 Hawk WRX 2.5 had an intermittent issue where it would feel very lethargic and hesitant below 3k revs - mainly off boost driving round town on partial throttle. It seems to be a more regular issue now. Once you plant it, it boosts fine, and drives well with no misfires etc but at lower revs it feels awful and on a couple of occasions the revs have dipped quite low.

its a completely standard car, not even a PPP map.
Only mod is a cosworth panel filter and this was happening before that went in. I’m not quite sure where to start with it. It has no warning lights, no smoke, no odd smells, no noises, oil and coolant seem okay.

Was thinking maybe a snall boost leak leak or a vac leak? Alternatively a maf maybe...

thoughts?

wrx2005 17 February 2019 10:51 AM

Check plugs,probably oiled up due to ringlands failing on the poo.5.

Ste333 17 February 2019 01:33 PM

C

Originally Posted by wrx2005 (Post 12044951)
Check plugs,probably oiled up due to ringlands failing on the poo.5.

was doing it before and after recent plug change. The plugs that came out looked good. No sign of oil or any issue with spark. Also no misfires present.

wrx2005 17 February 2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ste333 (Post 12044970)
C

was doing it before and after recent plug change. The plugs that came out looked good. No sign of oil or any issue with spark. Also no misfires present.

have you had a compression test done??
given the issues with the 2.5 and you have already changed plugs I'd start here.
that's assuming you have had the fault codes read on the car and there aren't any

LiamB 17 February 2019 08:35 PM

I'd also have it checked for boost leaks and have the lambda sensor checked since it seems to be misbehaving when in closed loop.

Ste333 18 February 2019 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by wrx2005 (Post 12044975)
have you had a compression test done??
given the issues with the 2.5 and you have already changed plugs I'd start here.
that's assuming you have had the fault codes read on the car and there aren't any

I'm not ruling out compression. But it seems unlikely given that its an intermittent issue, and when it does occur- it's as if someone has just flicked a switch. Doesn't seem mechanical. That's why I'm thinking electrical - MAF, sensor problem etc

Originally Posted by LiamB (Post 12045026)
I'd also have it checked for boost leaks and have the lambda sensor checked since it seems to be misbehaving when in closed loop.

yep good call on the lambda. Going to get the codes read asap and see what's happening.

Ste333 19 February 2019 01:42 PM

to update. read the codes today - nothing stored, or currently present....

The car is booked in at TDR in a couple of weeks anyway for a few parts to be fitted, so at the same time the lads are going to give it a once over to check for vac/boost leaks. They're also going to do a leakdown test and compression test it for peace of mind. So we shall see....

Ste333 13 March 2019 08:31 AM

To update this further.... for anyone interested who may have similar symptoms.

No codes found in the car.
Compression test and leak down test carried out at TDR - all is good and healthy thank god.... :)
No obvious vac / boost leaks.
Plugs all good - as they're new. No misfires either.

Suggestion now is definitely MAF, so looking to either replace with one of these pups https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...y=&searchPart= or perhaps clean this one first and see how it goes.....

Ste333 14 March 2019 01:44 PM

MAF now cleaned at work today... a good liberal spray with electrical contact solvent cleaner. And reinstalled..... I'll feedback if a clean seems to have done it.... Wasn't immediately obvious if the wires were dirty or not...but I don't think you'd be able to tell anyway unless they were coated in oil.

It I still have problems, new MAF from ICP it is.

MarkColey 13 May 2020 03:03 PM

Hi mate,

Did you ever find the solution ? as I have the same issues on my 07 Impreza GB270

RobsyUK 13 May 2020 09:06 PM

Clean the maf & boost solinoid.

ZANY 14 May 2020 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12080661)
Clean the maf & boost solinoid.

whats best to use in your opinion ?

RobsyUK 14 May 2020 10:37 AM

I used halfords own brake cleaner.

chakko 14 May 2020 01:13 PM

There is a special MAF cleaner from liqui moly