ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Rear NS wheel not turning. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1058085-rear-ns-wheel-not-turning.html)

Fiasco 15 February 2019 03:29 PM

Rear NS wheel not turning.

Hi all.

I have to turn to you for some pearls of wisdom again.

After standing for a couple of days, the car won't move either forward or backwards. On the application of some power, thinking it might be just the pads rusted on, I can get the car to move but only a few inches and my wife noticed that the wheel was not turning just sliding.

Has this happened to you? And if so, what was the cause?

I do hope that you can help.

T5NYW 15 February 2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fiasco (Post 12044815)
Hi all.

I have to turn to you for some pearls of wisdom again.

After standing for a couple of days, the car won't move either forward or backwards. On the application of some power, thinking it might be just the pads rusted on, I can get the car to move but only a few inches and my wife noticed that the wheel was not turning just sliding.

Has this happened to you? And if so, what was the cause?

I do hope that you can help.

Did you wash it before parking up? as normal to stick

normally go back and fro and bangs free

or

caliper stuck road salt or rusty
handbrake mech stuck
cooked brakes parked and contracted tight in drum

​​​​​​​

Fiasco 16 February 2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by T5NYW (Post 12044846)
Did you wash it before parking up? as normal to stick

normally go back and fro and bangs free

or

caliper stuck road salt or rusty
handbrake mech stuck
cooked brakes parked and contracted tight in drum

​​​​​​​

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have tried your suggestions, mostly before writing this post, nothing worked.

I think that you are probably right and that either the calliper or the hand brake has stuck onto the drum. Usually that free's with a bit of rocking under power back and fourth, but not this time.

ALi-B 16 February 2019 08:19 PM

Well, what i’d do is jack up, Wheel off, remove caliper. If its the caliper it’ll be obvious as it’ll be tight. If it’s the handbrake shoes then that’s going to be a headache.

Russell38 16 February 2019 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12044923)
Well, what i’d do is jack up, Wheel off, remove caliper. If its the caliper it’ll be obvious as it’ll be tight. If it’s the handbrake shoes then that’s going to be a headache.

what he said ☺

tarmac terror 16 February 2019 11:14 PM

Had this on both rear wheels and it was brake shoes locked to the drums - had to resort to brute force to get the disks off and replaced the shoes afterwards. Put two 30ft long tyre marks down my driveway trying to force them to free off. Resorted to a block of wood and a lump hammer to get them opened.

Fiasco 17 February 2019 11:35 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I jacked up the car this morning, it does not seem to be the brakes that are binding. I can rotate the wheel back and forth freely, but only a small amount, perhaps 30mm at the rim, it won't move more than that.

Any ideas?

JDM_Stig 17 February 2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fiasco (Post 12044953)
Thanks for your replies.

I jacked up the car this morning, it does not seem to be the brakes that are binding. I can rotate the wheel back and forth freely, but only a small amount, perhaps 30mm at the rim, it won't move more than that.

Any ideas?

You have your answer in post 4

Fiasco 17 February 2019 03:52 PM

I certainly hope so Stig.:-0

That would be a nice outcome. Although I know that these rear disks are not easily removed, it is still more welcome than a new Dif,,

No one has mentioned that, so hopefully the dif is not to blame.

T5NYW 17 February 2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fiasco (Post 12044953)
Thanks for your replies.

Any ideas?

unless snapped halfshaft and jammed in diff one side. BUT would notice the noise before parked up

90% from description as stig, ali b and tarmac terror above have have all alluded to.

if caliper seized normally 5 mm ish max (play in pads) with 30mm more likely culpit is the drum handbrake. An arse to fix

although easier to diagonse by seeing and feeling, than reading text.

Are you ina local car group? Perhap more heads sre better than one !!!!!!
​​​​​​​
Tony

T5NYW 17 February 2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fiasco (Post 12044983)
, it is still more welcome than a new Dif,,No one has mentioned that, so hopefully the dif is not to blame.

whoops mentioned in my previous post.

Very broadly speaking

if shatters and jams up diff, you would know, could completely jam one side and opposite wheel twice speed or no effect (dubious though)

if sheared haftshaft no drive to one wheel and free, maybe not that much noise.

Tony

Fiasco 17 February 2019 04:51 PM

Thanks Tony.

I have just had a minor operation so am limited in what I can do. ```But from the replies I have had from you lovely people, it does seem that most of my problem will be in accessing the hub by removing the disk and taking a look.

Going to need a major puller it would seem.

Fiasco 18 February 2019 02:33 PM

Thanks guys for your help and advice.
I asked my son to do the heavy work, the hub came off surprisingly easily, once that was off everything turned as normal. On the inside of the drum you could clearly see where the shoe had stuck.
A quick test drive this morning to Tesco's for fuel reveals all is good again.
Many thanks to all for your spot on advice.

Russell38 18 February 2019 02:38 PM

Glad you got it sorted 👍

T5NYW 19 February 2019 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fiasco (Post 12045091)
Thanks guys for your help and advice.
I asked my son to do the heavy work, the hub came off surprisingly easily, once that was off everything turned as normal. On the inside of the drum you could clearly see where the shoe had stuck.
A quick test drive this morning to Tesco's for fuel reveals all is good again.
Many thanks to all for your spot on advice.

Great news, a pint or two for your son me thinks :thumb:

Tony

Fiasco 19 February 2019 09:35 AM

Believe me, he was well fed and watered Tony. :hjtwofing