ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Opinions on www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1057887-opinions-on-www-jandrcvjoints-co-uk.html)

jason7579 29 January 2019 08:54 AM

Opinions on www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk

Has anybody got any mid / long term reviews of driveshafts from jandrcvjoints? My car is knocking at the front passenger side, I have to investigate a bit further but I think that either the inner or outer n/s CV joint may be the culprit.

I have done a little search and have noticed them mentioned by @john_d and @ScottyPPP a few years ago but can't see anything recent. The reviews seen very mixed after a Google but there do seem to be more negative than positive. I am aware that people ususally speak up with negative experiences though and are less likely to feedback on the positives.

Thanks

davemar 30 January 2019 09:25 AM

With things like driveshafts, you're not going to notice a good one as they just work and you forget about them. You'll only realise they are good after not needing to change it for years, and by that time you'll forget to do a review about it. But I was put off buying one of these driveshafts by the quantity of negative reviews, and also people commenting on the build quality of them.

BTW, I've got knocking from my front right side, and replaced the driveshaft (not a J&R one), but the knocking didn't clear up. Either I got an equally bad driveshaft, or it is something else which I've yet to work out.

jason7579 30 January 2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by davemar (Post 12043136)
With things like driveshafts, you're not going to notice a good one as they just work and you forget about them. You'll only realise they are good after not needing to change it for years, and by that time you'll forget to do a review about it. But I was put off buying one of these driveshafts by the quantity of negative reviews, and also people commenting on the build quality of them.

BTW, I've got knocking from my front right side, and replaced the driveshaft (not a J&R one), but the knocking didn't clear up. Either I got an equally bad driveshaft, or it is something else which I've yet to work out.

There do seem to be a few horror stories about the shafts and the companies customer service in general, but I'm sure most companies experience the same. However I do generally think if something is too good to be true it generally is (or buy cheap but twice).

I really don't need to spend more than I have to do might see if i can get the knock diagnosed and get a garage quote before forking out for the wrong parts.

Thanks for the reply.

joe v3sti 31 January 2019 12:43 PM

Just buy a used Oem one/pair

SouthWalesSam 31 January 2019 01:46 PM

^^^ What he said.
I've 200k miles coming up soon and I've always got my replacements from breakers on here or eBay.

jason7579 31 January 2019 03:02 PM

Cheers for the advice all. I'm going to get under the car Saturday and have a good play about to see if I can pin the noise down. If not I'll try a couple of second hand shafts

RetroPug 31 January 2019 07:33 PM

If you haven't got one, a large pry bar is good for this. Leverage every moving part in every direction you can and sometimes you'll find something which moves in a way you wouldn't expect, or more one way than the other etc.

Alby203 21 February 2019 06:09 PM

Subscribed! I have the same knocking noise on full lock at low speeds and have had it a while now and cabt figure it out.. iv bought new driveshafts from JandR and when my garage inspected my old ones the inner/outter cv joints were absolutely fine so I returned them and they were happy to do so. If you ever find out what the source of the knocking is please post!

jason7579 21 February 2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alby203 (Post 12045597)
Subscribed! I have the same knocking noise on full lock at low speeds and have had it a while now and cabt figure it out.. iv bought new driveshafts from JandR and when my garage inspected my old ones the inner/outter cv joints were absolutely fine so I returned them and they were happy to do so. If you ever find out what the source of the knocking is please post!

I still need to investigate fully, I'm thinking of wrong the old ones off for an investigation, and maybe a regrease.

I just can't work it out and keep changing my mind as to what it could be. I'm hoping it isn't the diff 😒. I want to find a nice honest garage near my house to see if they can diagnose.

Alby203 21 February 2019 06:49 PM

Im going to jack the car up over the weekend and check the diff bushes as they can be the problem so iv heard..then wheel bearings and if i still have no luck looks like il have to get hunting for a diff 😒

jason7579 21 February 2019 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alby203 (Post 12045601)
Im going to jack the car up over the weekend and check the diff bushes as they can be the problem so iv heard..then wheel bearings and if i still have no luck looks like il have to get hunting for a diff 😒

Let me know if you work anything out and I'll do likewise. It's quite possibly the most annoying sound in the world

Alby203 21 February 2019 06:59 PM

Will do mate.

Alby203 06 March 2019 09:15 PM

Right. Took the car to enginetuner today and as I pulled in it did the knocking noise. Got Alan to take it for a drive and he came back and told me he was certain its the rear diff.. apparently there’s nothing you can really do to cure it and there’s no substantial damage IF ANY that it will do to the car if you never replaced it. Its either put a new diff in or just live with the noise as it wont fail or affect the car at all..

jason7579 06 March 2019 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alby203 (Post 12046894)
Right. Took the car to enginetuner today and as I pulled in it did the knocking noise. Got Alan to take it for a drive and he came back and told me he was certain its the rear diff.. apparently there’s nothing you can really do to cure it and there’s no substantial damage IF ANY that it will do to the car if you never replaced it. Its either put a new diff in or just live with the noise as it wont fail or affect the car at all..

Thanks for the update, I'm hopeful mine is the same then. Do you get the slight whistle at around 2500 revs too?

I'm planning on replacing the gearbox and diff fluid at the weekend to see if that helps at all

Alby203 06 March 2019 10:22 PM

No whistle at all on mine mate. Im getting alan to change diff oil tomorrow so maybe that’ll help

jason7579 06 March 2019 10:36 PM

If nothing else at least you have piece of mind that all is OK mechanically.. I hope the oil change helps reduce the knocks for you

Gambit 08 March 2019 11:12 AM

do you have DCCD? if so set it to fully open and see does it still clunk. Widetrack Blob & Hawk always snatched when in auto mode on full lock, more so when reversing. funnily the same issue doesnt occur in my hatch

jason7579 08 March 2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 12047051)
do you have DCCD? if so set it to fully open and see does it still clunk. Widetrack Blob & Hawk always snatched when in auto mode on full lock, more so when reversing. funnily the same issue doesnt occur in my hatch

Standard wrx so no DCCD on mine. However the left front wheel does seem to skip in reverse.

davemar 08 March 2019 11:24 AM

So despite you thinking the sound was coming from the front, it was actually the rear diff?

Did it still sound like it comes from the front now you've been told it is coming from the rear (just thinking of mental confirmation bias now you've got a diagnosis)?

jason7579 25 May 2019 10:23 PM

Finally got around to replacing both driveshafts, which has helped with most of the noises especially when cornering. But now I have discovered a similar but different noise - another knock, only when warm (after driving for about 15 minutes), appears to happen when not on power, in all gears and changes with road speed. I'm wondering if its the diff or if I just have a dodgy driveshaft. Think it is time to get it into a garage to diagnose before I throw more good money after bad!