ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   cant disconnect crank sensor..........another way of not starting needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1057827-cant-disconnect-crank-sensor-another-way-of-not-starting-needed.html)

the shreksta 26 January 2019 01:44 PM

cant disconnect crank sensor..........another way of not starting needed

so my car has been sitting for around 6 weeks and its now time to get her started so i can use her again, my hands are that of king-kongs and i cannot get them in to the crank sensor to unplug it so i can build up the oil pressure. is there another way of not starting the car but turning it over?

a fuse perhaps or another sensor?

its a hawk 2007 sti

cheers

JDM_Stig 26 January 2019 01:55 PM

cant you just ask someone else to unplug it for ya

the shreksta 26 January 2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12042528)
cant you just ask someone else to unplug it for ya

no

Henrik 26 January 2019 02:28 PM

I have the same problem.

I just take the alternator off now. You don't have to take it off fully either, just enough to be able to rotate it up to the right.

Basically, the method is:

Get a 12mm socket.
slacken off the bolts on the top right a turn or two.
Slacken the belt off (vertical bolt head on left).
Undo the bolt that goes horizontally on the left hand side, that locks the alternator to the tensioner you've just slackened off.
​​​​​​rotate alternator up to the right.

Should have enough space now.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it takes literally a minute when you've done it once, and it's better than swearing at the crank sensor.

the shreksta 26 January 2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 12042531)
I have the same problem.

I just take the alternator off now. You don't have to take it off fully either, just enough to be able to rotate it up to the right.

Basically, the method is:

Get a 12mm socket.
slacken off the bolts on the top right a turn or two.
Slacken the belt off (vertical bolt head on left).
Undo the bolt that goes horizontally on the left hand side, that locks the alternator to the tensioner you've just slackened off.
​​​​​​rotate alternator up to the right.

Should have enough space now.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it takes literally a minute when you've done it once, and it's better than swearing at the crank sensor.

thanks for that buddy, i should have also said that ive recently dislocated my shoulder and broke my shoulder blade along with other injuries so im living life with my left hand and im right handed so ideally looking for a easier option. if there isnt one then will try this

ZANY 26 January 2019 02:38 PM

6 weeks I would just turn the key pal unless it’s been forged up etc I’ve started mine up after 8 to 12 weeks I just put the negative terminal back on and start her up

the shreksta 26 January 2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 12042533)
6 weeks I would just turn the key pal unless it’s been forged up etc I’ve started mine up after 8 to 12 weeks I just put the negative terminal back on and start her up

what difference would it make if its forged or not mate?

mine has done 11k since forged build/acl bearings/mahle pistons etc

ZANY 26 January 2019 02:46 PM

What oil in there mate?

im running 10/50 cfs millers so nicely coated allready so no probs

dont know if it’s same for the forged engines just saying as mine isn’t

in my ownership only time I take that plug off is when I change oil

1509joe 26 January 2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042534)
what difference would it make if its forged or not mate?

mine has done 11k since forged build/acl bearings/mahle pistons etc

Just start it boss it'll be 100% no revs till the oil circulates. Filter and all will be full already.

the shreksta 26 January 2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 12042535)
What oil in there mate?

im running 10/50 cfs millers so nicely coated allready so no probs

dont know if it’s same for the forged engines just saying as mine isn’t

in my ownership only time I take that plug off is when I change oil

fuchs 10/50 or 15/50 i cant remember

may even be 10/60

the shreksta 26 January 2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12042536)
Just start it boss it'll be 100% no revs till the oil circulates. Filter and all will be full already.

ok will give it a shot

1509joe 26 January 2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042539)
ok will give it a shot

:thumb:

Turbovin 26 January 2019 04:14 PM

I never bother to disconnect the crank sensor, far easier to remove the fuel pump fuse.

ZANY 26 January 2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042538)
fuchs 10/50 or 15/50 i cant remember

may even be 10/60

it’ll be right mate nice thick oil in there
as above just crank it over and idle temp up and take it easy on her let all the oils warp arm up before applying any boost :thumb:

youll know most of that jargon anywY ;)

Gambit 26 January 2019 05:35 PM

If it's running the std ecu (even when mapped). Then just put throttle to the floor and then crank. It won't start as it cuts the fuel. All hawk onwardsdo this.

edit: it was the late JGM who told me about this. First time doing it I was still a bit nervous but works 100%.

the shreksta 26 January 2019 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Turbovin (Post 12042542)
I never bother to disconnect the crank sensor, far easier to remove the fuel pump fuse.

which one is that on a 2007 hawk?

the shreksta 26 January 2019 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 12042547)
If it's running the std ecu (even when mapped). Then just put throttle to the floor and then crank. It won't start as it cuts the fuel. All hawk onwardsdo this.

edit: it was the late JGM who told me about this. First time doing it I was still a bit nervous but works 100%.

lol is that a wind up or you being serious?

the shreksta 26 January 2019 06:58 PM

so i went out armed with my new enigma lithium ion battery booster pack,connected it up and nothing............not even 1 revolution. i feel this battery booster pack may have been a waste of money. it was showing 4 lights (full power) so i assumed it would be ok. i have stuck it on charge over night and will try again 2moro, if it doesnt work then im ****ing returning it and going with old fashioned jump leads.

1509joe 26 January 2019 07:01 PM

Now i'm not being smart here lol but did you turn it on. Alot of them will read fully charged on test but they've still got a little switch on them to turn it on.

Gambit 26 January 2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042554)
lol is that a wind up or you being serious?

no it's not a wind up, it's 100% true.

the shreksta 26 January 2019 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12042557)
Now i'm not being smart here lol but did you turn it on. Alot of them will read fully charged on test but they've still got a little switch on them to turn it on.

yes there is a little button which i pressed which showed the 4 lights/12v indicator

the shreksta 26 January 2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 12042558)
no it's not a wind up, it's 100% true.

ok...................so foot to the floor and just crank for how long?

Gambit 26 January 2019 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042561)
ok...................so foot to the floor and just crank for how long?

you can crank for as long as you like it won't start while throttle is on the floor.bn

For me after an oil change, or if its been parked up a good few weeks I'll just give it about 5-10sec cranking just to get oil moving. Then ignition off, foot of throttle, and start as normal.

but if you're battery is weak it might not be best idea

if I was on the laptop id dig out the jgm post to confirm but I'm on the phone and search is crap on mobile site

the shreksta 26 January 2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 12042563)
you can crank for as long as you like it won't start while throttle is on the floor.bn

For me after an oil change, or if its been parked up a good few weeks I'll just give it about 5-10sec cranking just to get oil moving. Then ignition off, foot of throttle, and start as normal.

but if you're battery is weak it might not be best idea

if I was on the laptop id dig out the jgm post to confirm but I'm on the phone and search is crap on mobile site

my battery isnt weak.............its dead as a dodo :)

Gambit 26 January 2019 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042565)
my battery isnt weak.............its dead as a dodo :)

that won't help then

and one last double check, you said it a hawk yeah? It's not a spec C or anything is it? Only drive by wire cars can do the throttle floor crank. If it's a cable throttle then it won't work

the shreksta 26 January 2019 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 12042566)
that won't help then

and one last double check, you said it a hawk yeah? It's not a spec C or anything is it? Only drive by wire cars can do the throttle floor crank. If it's a cable throttle then it won't work

just a uk hawk 2.5 sti thats been mapped/engine built etc.

so shall i forget the foot to the floor then whilst my battery is dead?

Gambit 26 January 2019 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042567)
just a uk hawk 2.5 sti thats been mapped/engine built etc.

so shall i forget the foot to the floor then whilst my battery is dead?

It'll sap the remaining life out of weak battery doing extended cranking

the shreksta 26 January 2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 12042571)
It'll sap the remaining life out of weak battery doing extended cranking

as soon as ive got it started it will be going on charge on my new battery conditioner for a week or so

Gambit 26 January 2019 08:14 PM

Usually a dead battery won't hold charge for as long after being recharged, and with weather getting colder will just take more out of it. Be as handy getting a new battery for £50odds you can pick up a bosch s4 battery. Cheaper again if you know someone in the trade. Then leaving the conditioner on the new one.

the shreksta 26 January 2019 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 12042580)
Usually a dead battery won't hold charge for as long after being recharged, and with weather getting colder will just take more out of it. Be as handy getting a new battery for £50odds you can pick up a bosch s4 battery. Cheaper again if you know someone in the trade. Then leaving the conditioner on the new one.

yeah maybe, this battery is only 6 months old so will take a gamble with it i think.