ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   DCCD diff binding when reversing (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1057761-dccd-diff-binding-when-reversing.html)

Dan1 23 January 2019 07:27 PM

DCCD diff binding when reversing

So from time to time I'm having issues with the diffs apparently binding in my 2003 jdm STI during low speed maneuvering and parking.
The diff is set to fully open, so it's not the typical 'clunking noise' behaviour that happens when the diff is locked or semi-locked, but rather tension building up in the drivetrain to the point where im quite literally unable to drive further.

This happens mostly when reversing with close to full steering lock. At some point you can feel the resistance starting to build up to the point, where the car is having trouble reversing any further. It's kinda like a rubberband effect where if you then let off the gas and disengage the clutch, the built-up tension in the drivetrain will push the car forward again for a few inch. If you then try to reverse again, the same problem arises.

One could obviously ignore it and just give it more gas to try and overpower the binding, but I'm sure this can't be healthy.

Has anyone here encountered an issue like this before? I know that a lot of things and noises get brushed off as being 'normal' for DCCD, but surely a binding so strong during reversing that it quite literally forces me to cancel my parking midway, can't be normal or intended.. especially, since the diff is in fully open setting too when this happens.

Any pointers or ideas? One person told me a faulty neutral switch may be causing this issue?

Bryan Gallacher 23 January 2019 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1 (Post 12042144)
So from time to time I'm having issues with the diffs apparently binding in my 2003 jdm STI during low speed maneuvering and parking.
The diff is set to fully open, so it's not the typical 'clunking noise' behaviour that happens when the diff is locked or semi-locked, but rather tension building up in the drivetrain to the point where im quite literally unable to drive further.

This happens mostly when reversing with close to full steering lock. At some point you can feel the resistance starting to build up to the point, where the car is having trouble reversing any further. It's kinda like a rubberband effect where if you then let off the gas and disengage the clutch, the built-up tension in the drivetrain will push the car forward again for a few inch. If you then try to reverse again, the same problem arises.

One could obviously ignore it and just give it more gas to try and overpower the binding, but I'm sure this can't be healthy.

Has anyone here encountered an issue like this before? I know that a lot of things and noises get brushed off as being 'normal' for DCCD, but surely a binding so strong during reversing that it quite literally forces me to cancel my parking midway, can't be normal or intended.. especially, since the diff is in fully open setting too when this happens.

Any pointers or ideas? One person told me a faulty neutral switch may be causing this issue?

Jesus, Surely the holy grail dccd isnt experiencing difficulties

Rock god 30 January 2019 04:36 PM

Just read this and I’ve just realised that since changing oil on both diffs it doesn’t do it anymore,mine did it a little bit but no more maybe it could do with a change of oil,which asks the question is there only one way to get the oil in the front ie the slow way,it took bloody ages