ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   WRX STI 2014 onwards (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1057756-wrx-sti-2014-onwards.html)

MatrixProtein 23 January 2019 01:29 PM

WRX STI 2014 onwards

Hi guys,
my very first post here! I have my heart set on the WRX STI 2014 onwards (last model) but have read so many horror stories about the engine.

It's really somewhat put me off but unfortunately there's not much else that appeals to me. I've lost taste of hatch backs and really want a performance saloon and it was either between the WRX STI and the Evo X. But of the two, I'd prefer the WRX STI.

Does anyone have any experience of this particular model of the car and how there's is holding up? Initially I'd keep the vehicle stock but eventually go for a remap and exhaust upgrade provided it's safe to do so.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
MatrixProtein

sivo 23 January 2019 05:18 PM

MatrixProtein 23 January 2019 05:43 PM

glad to hear it mate.

i was thinking to go for Tuning Developments stage 1 - which has replacement air filter, exhaust and map for 30 bhp and 70 torques which seem reasonable but havent really heard much from anybody who has used them - they are more popular on the gt86 brz platform.

though yours is stock, who are the more reputable tuners for subarus? travel not an issue!

the shreksta 23 January 2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MatrixProtein (Post 12042117)
glad to hear it mate.

i was thinking to go for Tuning Developments stage 1 - which has replacement air filter, exhaust and map for 30 bhp and 70 torques which seem reasonable but havent really heard much from anybody who has used them - they are more popular on the gt86 brz platform.

though yours is stock, who are the more reputable tuners for subarus? travel not an issue!

scooby-clinic - chesterfield
thwaites - warwick
chevron motorsport - stafford
engine tuner - plymouth
roger clark motorsport- hinckley

sivo 23 January 2019 06:09 PM

sivo 23 January 2019 06:09 PM

MatrixProtein 23 January 2019 06:46 PM

ill probably steer clear from scooby clinic based on reviews.

thwaites looks quite good

the shreksta 23 January 2019 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MatrixProtein (Post 12042134)
ill probably steer clear from scooby clinic based on reviews.

thwaites looks quite good

i thought like that so i went over to have a dyno run and the guys were fantastic,they treated my car like it as one of their own and put my worries to bed. i went home eating humble pie

thwaites are awesome mate only a small team but very very helpful

Don Clark 23 January 2019 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by sivo (Post 12042122)
Fitting a Hayward and scott decat downpipe and an open source map by Andrew Carr should see you around 340 bhp.
Personally i would stick with the stock cat back at this level of tune but thats just me.
k & N panel filter.

On the previous model, MY11 WRX STI saloon, I still have both OEM cats and run 340bhp/360lbft with H&S cat back exhaust, K&N panel filter and Pro-R 340R map - just saying.
No need to go catless at this level of tune and stay MOT compliant.

sivo 23 January 2019 07:43 PM

MatrixProtein 23 January 2019 08:51 PM

Thanks guys for replies. In my budget is probably get a MY14-16 so it's unlikely to have any decent warranty or at least not a very long one.

​I did read slot about hg and ringland problems and ofc at this MY I'll be buying second hand so I wouldn't know how the cars been treated before hand. I thought maybe it would be a good move to upgrade the pistons and/or rods just to be on the safe side.

the shreksta 23 January 2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by MatrixProtein (Post 12042161)
Thanks guys for replies. In my budget is probably get a MY14-16 so it's unlikely to have any decent warranty or at least not a very long one.

​I did read slot about hg and ringland problems and ofc at this MY I'll be buying second hand so I wouldn't know how the cars been treated before hand. I thought maybe it would be a good move to upgrade the pistons and/or rods just to be on the safe side.

If I were you I wouldnt want one in warranty, they will only replace it with another **** 2.5 engine and you will pay a premium price for it aswell. Not much else goes wrong with these cars so I would buy private for less outlay and budget £4k ish for a rebuild at some point. You may get lucky and it will never need one..............

There has also been issues with subaru honouring the warranty so that's also a risk.
I wouldn't want them to replace it with another standard 2.5.

MatrixProtein 23 January 2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12042162)
If I were you I wouldnt want one in warranty, they will only replace it with another **** 2.5 engine and you will pay a premium price for it aswell. Not much else goes wrong with these cars so I would buy private for less outlay and budget £4k ish for a rebuild at some point. You may get lucky and it will never need one..............

There has also been issues with subaru honouring the warranty so that's also a risk.
I wouldn't want them to replace it with another standard 2.5.

thats a good point actually haha. thanks, ill keep the extra £4-5k in mind when budgeting =D

Don Clark 23 January 2019 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by sivo (Post 12042153)
Excellent, so just a filter and a remap then Don??
Siv :thumb:

plus..
The H&S cat back removes the resonator from the Y pipe and the back boxes are more free flowing than OEM

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ti-saloon.html

BrownPantsRacing 24 January 2019 09:19 AM

Had mine for 6 months now and absolutely love it. Yes mine has had a full engine rebuild already, but don't let that bother you. They are fantastic cars.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...af10675808.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...5aa066356d.jpg

Ste333 24 January 2019 09:44 AM

out of interest. what's the difference between the 6 speed trans and driveline gear on an MY14~ , and the 2.5 engine, when compared to a Hawk for example? Presumably it's still an EJ257? I know turbo different etc.
I know Subaru haven't changed much over the years, but how different is the driving experience? Is the clutch still quite heavy? Is the NVH more refined? I must admit, I do like them.... but I'm leaning toward a more daily (round town) friendly DSG/DCT vehicle next with similar power.

BrownPantsRacing 24 January 2019 09:48 AM

There is no difference in the basic engine block, just some of the ancillaries in the bay have changed a little. The MY15 new shape shares most of it's components with the 08 onwards hatch model to be honest and I believe the gearbox is the same. I was lead to believe the 6 speed setup was slightly different to the hawyeye DCCD version too. Drives fine, clutch not heavy either.

MatrixProtein 24 January 2019 09:49 AM

@BrownPantsRacing you would say that after a rebuild! haha

but yeah i think it'll be ok as long as i budget for this. there are alot of 30k mileage examples out there. seems like people drive em out of warranty and get rid

BrownPantsRacing 24 January 2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MatrixProtein (Post 12042204)
@BrownPantsRacing you would say that after a rebuild! haha

but yeah i think it'll be ok as long as i budget for this. there are alot of 30k mileage examples out there. seems like people drive em out of warranty and get rid

haha. Thankfully I didn't pay for the rebuild, but I am paying for all the upgrades following this.

I've owned modified 2.5 engined Subarus for the last 12 years now and loved every minute. As you say, mentally budget £3.5-£5k for an engine rebuild just in case, but otherwise just enjoy the car. They really are fantastic. You'll love it!

sivo 24 January 2019 10:09 AM

BrownPantsRacing 24 January 2019 10:14 AM

I know someone who still has a pair of very nice rear box deletes for one of these cars!!!!! :D

sivo 24 January 2019 10:17 AM

Don Clark 24 January 2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by sivo (Post 12042208)

Ok, removing the resonator would free up a bit more noise but would it improve flow?

Are you saying that changing the rear boxes ONLY can yield a 40bhp increase with a map tweak?

I’m intrigued, are you sure the standard system will not flow well enough for 340bhp?
would be interesting to see a map/graph of the standard car and one with a cat back?

The OEM system reduces in size at the Y and into the boxes.
The H&S system is a larger diameter.

Post #1 of my thread...........
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ti-saloon.html

The complete Subaru supplied "340R package" has a 2nd cat delete pipe and revised backboxes.

BrownPantsRacing 24 January 2019 11:58 AM

My standard MY15 exhaust system with the Japspeed decat downpipe was running 335bhp & 420lb/ft just fine.

I've now swapped to a full H&S system though.

sivo 24 January 2019 08:55 PM

BrownPantsRacing 24 January 2019 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by sivo (Post 12042358)

Who put the 335bhp map on your car BPR ?

Spoke to Mark at Thwaites and he said there would be no point mapping if both the cats were in place, little to no gain whatsoever I think he said.
His first step would be a decat downpipe with the standard cat back.

Jamie at Evotune in Durham open source mapped my ECU mate. Most mappers don't want to open source these models as it's nowhere near as easy as earlier cars, but he managed it and it's fantastic. Drives 100% perfect, no issues at all.

I'm going Syvecs soon though.

BrownPantsRacing 24 January 2019 11:32 PM

My current decat downpipe will be up for sale soon once I've fitted the new system.

sivo 25 January 2019 06:47 AM

C7 JFW 26 January 2019 07:49 PM

I see quite a lot of questions about the 2015+ VAB STI.

In October 2017 I bought my own, with 15,150 miles on the clock from the local Subaru dealer. I'm currently on 54,000 miles less than 18 months later and the car is doing incredibly well.

I check the oil and coolant levels every other fuel fill. It makes people stare to see a modern man checking under the bonnet, but the car is a dream come true to me. I do predominantly motorway miles and long-distance driving - but the car's taking the miles pretty gracefully.

If I need an engine rebuild in future, then that's part of the course and i'll take it as such.

I intend to start a thread on the car at 100,000 miles and i'll see how it goes from there. That, in my eyes, is when it begins to get interesting.

MatrixProtein 26 January 2019 10:49 PM

Glad to hear yours is doing well! Tempting me haha. What sort of mpg do you get with your travel. Not that it's a car for mpg bit you get what I mean.