ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What Made You Buy A Subaru And Why? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1057708-what-made-you-buy-a-subaru-and-why.html)

Marky1968 19 January 2019 11:02 AM

What Made You Buy A Subaru And Why?

Hi to all,

I am looking into buying my first Subaru Imprezza, and wanted to know what people's
comments and opinions are as to why they chose this car.

Just wanted to get some views, as I don't honestly know much about ownership yet.

Thankyou

Marc :-)

the shreksta 19 January 2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Marky1968 (Post 12041563)
Hi to all,

I am looking into buying my first Subaru Imprezza, and wanted to know what people's
comments and opinions are as to why they chose this car.

Just wanted to get some views, as I don't honestly know much about ownership yet.

Thankyou

Marc :-)

i am allergic to money so the subaru is the perfect cure for this :)

on a serious note i just love the looks/sound/performance/grip and the attention it gets,to me (other than an evo) there really isnt much that gives you what an impreza gives you for the money. ok some newer hot-hatches will more than keep up with an impreza but look at the cost of those newer cars. a tuned/built impreza will be so much more fun

jaygsi 19 January 2019 11:29 AM

All of the above. And I find the turbo setup on Subaru's a lot more aggressive than other cars I've been in from standard.

Other manufactures seem to make the turbo kick in nice and smoothly. I prefer it to be fast and violent. The JDM models were great for this. If looked after well a very reliable car.

But also you will spend loads on it as you will end up modifying it no doubt.

Hawkeye D 19 January 2019 11:42 AM

As above, a fully forged and mapped STi is very aggressive. Punch up and down the gears all day long, she doesn't give a flying one!

Mine's a 2007 STi Spec D
Beware of non forged 2.5's.....I know from experience, but do make for a fantastic fast road car if built and mapped properly...
342 bhp and 410 ft lbs in a sleeper that to the untrained eye looks like a WRX.

BrownPantsRacing 19 January 2019 12:08 PM

The wife, because she drives too fast.

Vxr2010 19 January 2019 12:23 PM

Forester sti for me , a great sleeper , little lag so leaves loads of cars dead at a set of lights , good mpg up to 35mpg for long trips , great sound fun to drive , four wheel drive , plus it has a forged engine , money wise it is cheap compared to a golf r or an amg merc i think the equal was an a45 which is ££££ , subaru has character merc does not

ZANY 19 January 2019 01:59 PM

The Flat four rumble noise was my first ever reason to choose a scuby

which has now gone out of the window....with equal length headers

micko48 19 January 2019 02:28 PM

Unique rumble unless equal headers 4wd plus wrc drivers and championship won 🤑

Adw330s 19 January 2019 03:04 PM

The sound

The aggressive power delivery - like said above. Modern cars feel boring and tame in the way it comes in

the looks - same again. Most modern cars look boring. Not into sleepers or the “grown up” tame look - for a 2nd car yeah that’s ok

you do seem to spend a lot modding however I enjoy this rather than buying a let’s say GTR which is already ready but has silly running costs

the modifying has been really enjoyable, interesting and addictive

i also like the whole “old school” feel to them. . It just feels right

Hawkins 1995 19 January 2019 03:48 PM

Always wanted one as a kid and thought it would be a great experience for me a my little man to get into working on cars plus you can't beat the nosie haha

​​​​​
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...49eb4e47d7.jpg

G.Mac 19 January 2019 04:44 PM

The syncros on my 6 month old RX8 had gone and it was going to take months to get it fixed and Mazda wouldn't give me a courtesy car.

I was working in the garden and thought feck it im going to trade it in so went round the corner to Glasgow Audi where I was totally ignored for a good half an hr probably because I was a young guy (10 days before my 25th Birthday) and in my old crappy work clothes. Eventually a salesman came over to find out what I wanted and probably try get rid of me. He looked down his nose at me when he asked what I was looking for and I said "something with over 230bhp" He scoffed that that would be rather expensive and did I have anything to trade in to which I then pointed at the almost new RX8 parked outside. His attitude totally changed and immediately got me out in a 3.2 Audi TT that had just come in, I liked it and almost bought it and was waiting for them to give me a price on the Mazda
After 2 days I still had not heard anything back so decided to give the Subaru a look

After the crap I had put up with at the Audi dealership I did exactly the same thing again except with S&S services, I was literally in the lot for 2 mins and the dealer principal came over and started chatting, within 20mins I was on a test drive in a 2005 STI demonstrator and within an hr we had agreed a price on my RX8 and the demonstrator was mine and I have been skint ever since haha

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...227fbcbcc1.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...f5315278a3.jpg

Graeme

dpb 19 January 2019 05:15 PM

Back in 2004 my Original Sti seemed like a perfrmance bargain

they even looked ok back then

rossyboy 19 January 2019 08:33 PM

Colin McRae

RAGGY DOO 19 January 2019 10:15 PM

I was drunk and started the night bidding on evos
the more red wine I drank the worse the bids
woke up on Sunday morning hungover and a proud owner of a jdm hatch

cuprajake 19 January 2019 10:22 PM

The sound. The looks ..the drive
there such a great alrounder.

Yes there not fast but as a package there superb..

Drive down the rd in a golf r no one bats and eye lid .Drive down in a scoob and they look .

domino46 20 January 2019 07:18 AM

the sound made me buy one

the community made me stay

ZANY 20 January 2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 12041631)
I was drunk and started the night bidding on evos
the more red wine I drank the worse the bids
woke up on Sunday morning hungover and a proud owner of a jdm hatch

:lol: u funny guy!

ZANY 20 January 2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by G.Mac (Post 12041613)
The syncros on my 6 month old RX8 had gone and it was going to take months to get it fixed and Mazda wouldn't give me a courtesy car.

I was working in the garden and thought feck it im going to trade it in so went round the corner to Glasgow Audi where I was totally ignored for a good half an hr probably because I was a young guy (10 days before my 25th Birthday) and in my old crappy work clothes. Eventually a salesman came over to find out what I wanted and probably try get rid of me. He looked down his nose at me when he asked what I was looking for and I said "something with over 230bhp" He scoffed that that would be rather expensive and did I have anything to trade in to which I then pointed at the almost new RX8 parked outside. His attitude totally changed and immediately got me out in a 3.2 Audi TT that had just come in, I liked it and almost bought it and was waiting for them to give me a price on the Mazda
After 2 days I still had not heard anything back so decided to give the Subaru a look

After the crap I had put up with at the Audi dealership I did exactly the same thing again except with S&S services, I was literally in the lot for 2 mins and the dealer principal came over and started chatting, within 20mins I was on a test drive in a 2005 STI demonstrator and within an hr we had agreed a price on my RX8 and the demonstrator was mine and I have been skint ever since haha

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...227fbcbcc1.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...f5315278a3.jpg

Graeme

wow what a transformation any more pics would be nice

do you have a thread for it?

jaygsi 20 January 2019 08:46 AM

Forgot that one samehere.

Originally Posted by ZANY
The Flat four rumble noise was my first ever reason to choose a scuby

which has now gone out of the window....with equal length headers

seanvx 20 January 2019 09:13 AM

A bit off topic but the pic above you removed the front Subaru badge how do you go about doing this

Bazil_SW 20 January 2019 09:34 AM

My wife actually! She said she'd always wanted one cos of the exhaust noise and whoosh when changing gears.

Then once you drive one, you're hooked! They quickly become a passion and hobby for tuning and tinkering, for me at least. :luvlove:

And to top it, there are not that expensive to buy, running mind you is a different matter... !

V-Lim Jim 20 January 2019 10:48 AM

A few reasons for me! I bought my STi wagon because of:

The way (on a standard car) that the nose lifts when you hit boost.

The fact you can see the bonnet scoop all the time when driving it.

The combination of sounds from under the bonnet, from the recirc whoosh, the loud cold starts and the burble of course! Decat has also unleashed an incredible roar higher up in the rev range.

Gold wheels and blue paint and big exhaust, because rally car.

Steering feel was another thing I was surprised by when I first drove one. It really talks to you - even on the tiny 16 inch wheels!

Toughness - I'm still amazed that so many of the classics are on original suspension and motors! That is testament to the overengineering employed in the design.

I also think the EJ20 and EJ207 are amazing engines. So smooth and powerful.