ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Oil Smell (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1057561-oil-smell.html)

mus1 05 January 2019 09:10 PM

Oil Smell

Hi
I have a burnt oil smell on my classic impreza.
Had both rocker cover gaskets replaced a few months ago and no sign of any leaking oil since. But even on a short drive the car smells and I can't see any leaks, except for some oil residue on the intercooler hose.
There's no smoke on startup or on boost.

Any ideas anyone ?

ZANY 06 January 2019 09:34 AM

Takes ages if oil is still on the header/exhaust pipes from previous leak
also not cleaned off when replacing gaskets can be cause as it can get messy if proper prep work not done when replacing

it’ll burns for ages if not taken off unfortunately

mus1 06 January 2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 12039976)
Takes ages if oil is still on the header/exhaust pipes from previous leak
also not cleaned off when replacing gaskets can be cause as it can get messy if proper prep work not done when replacing

it’ll burns for ages if not taken off unfortunately

Cheers Zany
i'll look at trying to clean the previous leak

semih 07 January 2019 06:55 AM

did you remove timing cover and check again? also check front main seal and oil cooler modine hoses.

Cambs_Stuart 07 January 2019 08:59 AM

Other possibilities are exhaust cam sensor, camshaft seals or a leak from the power steering pump. Worth checking while you're there.

mus1 07 January 2019 06:32 PM

Cheers Semih & Cambs Stuart

I'll take another look, although I did partially remove the undertray today and couldn't see anything obvious. Had a look on the top near the power steering reservoir and still nothing obvious.
Where about's is the exhaust cam sensor ?
I've booked it into Arden Bridge Garage next week but i'd like to try and find the problem before hand.

Appreciate the advice.

mus1 13 March 2019 11:19 AM

Hi All

Well I still have the oil fumes/smell even after having the rocker cover bolts re-torqued and a cv boot replaced after splitting.
So now I have more grease residue to be burnt off, will this ever end.
I did notice last night that the smell only seems to appear after the car has been driven, just idling the smell doesn't appear.
Whether that's due to no boost pressure or PCV pressures I don't know.

Anyone have any more ideas or advice, as i'm getting tired of people asking what that smell is from the car !!!!
Thanks in advance

Cambs_Stuart 13 March 2019 09:47 PM

Grease from a split cv does take a long time to burn off.
To be honest, I'm at a loss what to suggest.
Hope you get it resolved.

mus1 14 March 2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart (Post 12047558)
Grease from a split cv does take a long time to burn off.
To be honest, I'm at a loss what to suggest.
Hope you get it resolved.

thanks cambs_stuart appreciate the response. Going to try and give it a good clean in that area.

RobsyUK 21 March 2019 01:37 PM

How’s it going op

mus1 21 March 2019 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=RobsyUK;12048255]
How’s it going op
[/QUDegreased area where cv boot had split and sent grease onto downpipe. Still smells. Drive to work today very very gently i.e. no turbo boost. Still smells. Thinking of changing pcv but no idle issues. So cant see that sorting it. There is oil in intercooler just wondering if that's where
the fumes coming coming from

mus1 06 April 2019 10:36 AM

I managed to locate the burnt oil smell, its coming from below the turbo area.
It only appears when the car has been driven.
I revved the engine using the throttle cable/body and that's when I saw a small amount of smoke appear.
After the engine had cooled down I felt under the turbo and found some oil but not much, even tried to use my phone the video under there !!
Shame I haven't got a ramp so another trip to the garage beckons.

Cambs_Stuart 06 April 2019 11:17 AM

Good to hear you've found it. Is the oil from the turbo, or coming out from the turbo to intercooler pipe?

mus1 06 April 2019 12:00 PM

Hi Cambs Stuart
Appreciate the reply.
I'm not really sure, trying to feel for it.
Possibly from a oil return pipe area. Been trying to find a pic of the turbo and it's pipe work etc so I can 'relate' to what i'm trying to feel for. If you know what I mean.
Annoying thing was the split cv joint boot throwing grease in that area didn't help. lol

Work in progress
thanks again

mus1 06 April 2019 09:21 PM

A fair amount of old oil gunge underneath drivers side cam cover. No sign of 'fresh' oil but noticed oil residue on link pipe/up link heat shield.
The uplink pipe's heat shield is also loose.
Thinking about removing undertray then thoroughly clean underneath and keep an eye on it.