ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   boot lock not working (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1057503-boot-lock-not-working.html)

john_d 29 December 2018 07:31 PM

boot lock not working

blobeye

so, i cant open ,my boot with the key, it used to be fine but i think i used the cable/lever by the drivers seat and the barrel has seized oven though it has a good 5mm movement in both clockwise and anticlockwise direction, i was moving some xmas rubbish dureing the week and i think ive know the "lock" as the lever no longer works.

how can i open the boot now, am i going to have to be a bit more firm with the key in the barrel? iirc you cant get into the boot from the back, even if i could i dont see how i could open it?

Markyscoob 29 December 2018 07:42 PM

Not easy at all. The lock is housed in a metal surround, specifically to prevent you forcing it. I reckon the best way to solve this is to unbolt the lower seat, removing the plastic covers over the two 12mm bolts on the lower front mounts, then slide it out.

Next, the four bolts that hold the seat back at the bottom. Again 12mm. Lift the back and gently feed out one of the doors. Now you unbolt the two supports, unclipping the rubber sound insulators. Once you remove these, you've got a decent chance of getting to it, once you pull the contents of the boot out.

The lock operates a rod that goes to the boot lock. The remote unlocking also operates the lock separately so basically, just pull the rod retaining clips off one side to pull the rod off then pull the lever and it should pop the boot.

Once it's open, you can undo the small screw and withdraw the plastic retaining lug allowing the boot barrel to come out. Get it to a locksmith to strip, clean and rebuild.

To be fair, once the barrel is off, and the operating rod disconnected, you can put a bit of tape over it as it is really difficult to open from the hole. Just make sure the lever is set to allow you to open it from inside the car!

Best of luck.

the shreksta 29 December 2018 07:49 PM

i have a similar problem, my hawk boot only open via the lever, the boot lock has 0 movement in any direction. ive tried the wd40 trick but no result

jaygsi 29 December 2018 08:15 PM

Mines delocked, just remove it and fill.

john_d 29 December 2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12039332)
Mines delocked, just remove it and fill.

ok, how do i open it to remove it? lol

alcazar 29 December 2018 10:08 PM

Errrrrm, post 2 above?

jaygsi 30 December 2018 08:28 AM

Go in through the back seats.

Markyscoob 30 December 2018 06:40 PM

I described it as easily as I could. Difficult to judge ability from a post. You'll need a 12mm socket and extension, a flat screwdriver to prise a clip or two off and a modicum of common sense. Failing any of these, go see a garage.

john_d 30 December 2018 09:12 PM

got it, i pulled down the central arm rest and managed to get my head, 1 shoulder and arm through, i used an allen key and managed to push the cable lock lever down allowing me to use the cable to open the boot, i'll remove the barrel for a proper clean at a later date