ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   What's your opinion on the Mercedes A class, A180, A200, A250 AMG models ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1057468-whats-your-opinion-on-the-mercedes-a-class-a180-a200-a250-amg-models.html)

The Joshua Tree 25 December 2018 01:26 PM

What's your opinion on the Mercedes A class, A180, A200, A250 AMG models ?

Merry xmas everyone.

I have to say, looking for a car isn't easy, My mind was virtually made up that i wanted a BMW, either a 300 series or 400 series but i then accidentally came across the Mercedes A class which look great. The only shape and models i like are the A180, A200 and A250 AMG range which appeal, i currently have a focus which is a similar size but this would be a huge step up in spec and comfort.

I know nothing about Mercedes cars, how are the A180, A200 and A250 viewed, are Mercedes generally considered as reliable, more reliable than BMW ? What are the servicing and parts like compared to BMW ? I'd be looking for a petrol non automatic model unless someone could convince me different to maybe go automatic. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.

urban 28 December 2018 02:06 PM

My wife has an A200(2017 car), its a lovely car inside, but we got the premium pack version, leather seats, electric seats/mirrors with memory function, panoramic roof etc.
I don't understand why you'd want manual over an automatic, its so much more convenient when in traffic, which lets face it, is most of the time.
Mercedes parts are very reasonable in my experience, put it this way, I replaced the front discs and pads on my old C63AMG, for approx £460 - genuine Mercedes items.
Servicing, main dealer will be expensive, but you can take out a service plan which is pretty good value if you time the schedule right, i.e. get a big service, small service, then a big service.
Her's is diesel, averages around 50mpg from memory.

As for reliability, this is the second A200 she's had, and neither have had anything other than routine servicing, except one safety recall for something which I can't even remember now.

The Joshua Tree 01 January 2019 12:12 PM

Thanks Urban

I've pretty certain it's an A class i want as i really like the look of them and the size, i've been doing a bit of research on them, in a way i wish i hand't as i'm leaning towards the A45 AMG model which is obviously going to push the budget up, it's so easy for your budget to get out of control when you see and hear something like the A45 AMG with it's popping and banging in Sport+ mode. Obvouisly the fuel economy is going to be pretty much none existent as you buy a car like that to enjoy and use it to it's potential the same as you do with a Scooby and Evo etc, not that it's in the same target market as those cars. From the research i've done on the A45 AMG it seems to be best if you can get the facelift version which i think is from 2016 onwards, again obviously that will push up the budget quite a bit. Hopefully at some point i'll post what i've bought, its just a game of patience waiting for the right car to come along with the right mileage and year, and in the right colour as i want the grey version and at the right price.

Thanks again, all the best for 2019.

urban 06 January 2019 12:49 PM

About fuel economy on AMG cars, I can't speak for the A45, but if I was to compare my current E63 to my last Impreza STI I owned, the E63 is way more economical than the STI in normal daily driving, and a hell of a better place to be in than the STI.
Having said that, if you're concerned about MPG, then an AMG is not the right car for you.

The A45 is lovely to drive, and very nice inside, I've been to MB world, and driven the A45, C63 & E63 on both their tracks, get a day bought as a birthday present

Littleted 17 January 2019 09:08 AM

My A45 was great, in fact so much so im waiting for the A45S on November to revisit it again, that being said the BMW i just sold even though a 440 the fuel was amazing, i did Leeds Heathrow and back on 1 tank thats over 400 miles and still had a 1/4 left, wouldnt have got that in the 45, but overall the BMW was a much duiller place to be over the Merc, You can get some good deals on the 45 at the moment.

For economy, though no brainer M140 would be the 1 to go for, but for everything else A class