ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   What to buy, a BMW or a 14 year old Scooby ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1057391-what-to-buy-a-bmw-or-a-14-year-old-scooby.html)

The Joshua Tree 19 December 2018 02:37 AM

What to buy, a BMW or a 14 year old Scooby ?

I did a thread asking about some opinions on buying a BMW, it was a mixed response, some positives but quite a few negatives. That got me thinking about how much i missed my Scooby, then i thought i'd love a scooby again but one thing puts me a off slightly is the age of a scooby. I don't like any of the new Scoobies, the blobeye would be the last shape i'd go for but that is around 14 years old now.

So my question is, would you buy a used BMW that's just a couple of years old with all the latest tech, i'd go for a low milage one with ideally some remaining BMW warranty or buy a Blobeye Sti which will be around 14 years old now ?

It's not an easy decision to make, my head says a BMW but my heart says a scooby.

stockcar 19 December 2018 09:01 AM

buy what you enjoy and ,makes you happy, lifes too short...............

for me a Subaru every time (currently have FOUR!!)

urban 19 December 2018 09:09 AM

The sensible thing to do is buy the car thats only a couple of years old.
A 14 year old STI will need attention and money

stockcar 19 December 2018 11:19 AM

and the newer car will depreciate for fun............

RRP1STI 19 December 2018 11:34 AM

If it’s used as a daily driver or doing a lot of miles it would be newer car for me-not necessarily BMW,if it’s used as second car go for Sti,I have had mine 10 yrs,used mostly as 2nd car,yes you can tell it’s 14 yrs old when you get out of more modern cars but still great,and as said earlier not depreciating like a 2/3 yr old motor

urban 19 December 2018 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12038468)
and the newer car will depreciate for fun............

Depends on the age though, he says couple of year old, which suggests its already taken the big hit

AndyC_772 19 December 2018 03:42 PM

Fun as they were, I wouldn't touch another old Impreza, and I had four of them back in the day. Service every 6 months / 7500 miles? Sod that, life's too short. My P1 always seemed to need something doing to it, and that's even after it had the full engine rebuild.

I had an E46 330D for about 8 years, and it was great apart from some injector issues. I now drive an F10 530D and really can't fault it.

It's on 75000 miles now, and yes, a few things are starting to break and wear out, but nothing particularly expensive or surprising. Services are about the same as on the old Scooby, but it only needs one every 18 months or so, which makes it a lot less cost and hassle to run overall.

It handles way better than it's any right to given how big and heavy it is, and 400 lb.ft of torque makes getting up to motorway speeds totally effortless. Can't believe how much fuss and racket I used to put up with from the EJ20 in its various incarnations.

The Joshua Tree 19 December 2018 04:22 PM

Thanks for the deefback so far.

You make some good points Andy, if it were a Scooby that was just a couple of years old i wouldn't even hesitate, if i could afford to run a second car i wouldn;t even hesitate again, it's just a 14 year old car as a main car, that will be used daily to go to work and doing the usual run arounds it's not really adding up. My heart is urging me to get one as the feeling of driving a scooby with the sounds coming from the exhaust is superb, as unfortunate as it is i'm leaning towards a BMW around a 2016 or 2017 plate depending on what i can get within the budget i've set myself.

I guess if i ever won the lottery it would be a non brainer to have a scooby as a weekend toy, that aint going to happen lol so i'll have to think practically i guess.

1509joe 19 December 2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 12038495)
Fun as they were, I wouldn't touch another old Impreza, and I had four of them back in the day. Service every 6 months / 7500 miles? Sod that, life's too short. My P1 always seemed to need something doing to it, and that's even after it had the full engine rebuild.

I had an E46 330D for about 8 years, and it was great apart from some injector issues. I now drive an F10 530D and really can't fault it.

It's on 75000 miles now, and yes, a few things are starting to break and wear out, but nothing particularly expensive or surprising. Services are about the same as on the old Scooby, but it only needs one every 18 months or so, which makes it a lot less cost and hassle to run overall.

It handles way better than it's any right to given how big and heavy it is, and 400 lb.ft of torque makes getting up to motorway speeds totally effortless. Can't believe how much fuss and racket I used to put up with from the EJ20 in its various incarnations.

Mmmm not far from the magic 80k when they're designed to disintegrate.

ALi-B 23 December 2018 09:19 AM

Id say it’s more of an age thing rather than miles...I peg it at 8 years before the rubber on the front suspension go sloppy along with other stuff breaking or wearing. Mileage in that time ranges between 80k and 150k miles. The ones that live on motorways as opposed to local roads certainly make the big difference as does the driver; The suspension hates poor roads and getrag manuals don’t tolerate bad habits and the engines don’t tolerate dealer service regimes long term for shorter commutes....hence the N47 timing chain issues. I’ve seen these engines go past 200k before the chain has given up, but likewise seen these fail at 80K ish, nearly all give you warning by a characteristic whirring from the passenger side long before failure if the driver is savvy enough to have the radio and blowers turned off, also a death rattle on cold startup just before they are about to fail.

Over the years our household has had five BMWs and to be honest no worse than any other car. I do work on them though and know there are issues with certain models. The build quality on the new cars has gone downhill and generally its been a gradual decline since the E39 which IMO is the last of the old school BMWs.

Certainly some one of the mid-late 2000 era cars suffered terrible engine issues...Even today I have a panic attack when a petrol 2.0 N43 comes in: BMW’s first direct injected petrol engine. These are terrible and will be guaranteed to give you MOT failures on emissions. Thankfully they only made these lumps of crap for 4 years and most have now died. Hateful things.

1509joe 23 December 2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12038811)
Id say it’s more of an age thing rather than miles...I peg it at 8 years before the rubber on the front suspension go sloppy along with other stuff breaking or wearing. Mileage in that time ranges between 80k and 150k miles. The ones that live on motorways as opposed to local roads certainly make the big difference as does the driver; The suspension hates poor roads and getrag manuals don’t tolerate bad habits and the engines don’t tolerate dealer service regimes long term for shorter commutes....hence the N47 timing chain issues. I’ve seen these engines go past 200k before the chain has given up, but likewise seen these fail at 80K ish, nearly all give you warning by a characteristic whirring from the passenger side long before failure if the driver is savvy enough to have the radio and blowers turned off, also a death rattle on cold startup just before they are about to fail.

Over the years our household has had five BMWs and to be honest no worse than any other car. I do work on them though and know there are issues with certain models. The build quality on the new cars has gone downhill and generally its been a gradual decline since the E39 which IMO is the last of the old school BMWs.

Certainly some one of the mid-late 2000 era cars suffered terrible engine issues...Even today I have a panic attack when a petrol 2.0 N43 comes in: BMW’s first direct injected petrol engine. These are terrible and will be guaranteed to give you MOT failures on emissions. Thankfully they only made these lumps of crap for 4 years and most have now died. Hateful things.

You are 100% correct you've basically said the same as I have on that other thread.

the shreksta 24 December 2018 07:32 PM

i loved my e53 bmw x5 and after selling it ive always said i would have another BUT since owning my jeep grand cherokee (although not loaded with toys like the x5) i have changed brands. the jeep is alot more rugged than the bmw and very easy to work on. spares are readily available and the merc v6 lump up front provides plenty of ftlbs. i will be in the market for a newer suv in the new year for the mrs and myself to travel europe and although i keep looking at x5's througth the approved used scheme i am actually very tempted with a newer jeep grand cherokee. something on a 14/15 plate would be ideal and if im honest its the srt8 6.4 v8 model i fancy the most- just gotta wait for them to drop to £20k

Aman Grewall 25 December 2018 01:33 AM

If it helps I have owned a BMW 430D for over a year now. Remap by NVM 310bhp and a lot of torque is fun, no hassle, great build quality, 40+ mpg, perfect cruiser. For most people it’s a really great all round car to live with daily.

Saying that though, I’m selling it to buy a jdm sti hatchback lol. If you need an all round car imo a diesel bmw will not fail you, the harmon kardon system alone can make a long commute fly by.

For me though I want to go back to petrol. Feeling the change and a subaru is what puts the biggest smile on my face for those moments that matter. Hope that helps.

(Btw pm if interested, fully spec’d, maintained and looked after ;) )

Andycat 25 December 2018 12:28 PM

BMWS seem fine till about 9..10 years then electrical gremlins etc more problems while most japs are fine after then