ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MAF/ induction kit issues (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1056855-maf-induction-kit-issues.html)

Gaunty-92 05 November 2018 11:05 PM

MAF/ induction kit issues

Hi all, i’ve recently bought a 2005 Wrx sti Type UK with the 2.5 engine and when I bought it knew that the MAF has seen better days wth the mileage being 81k and it was slightly lumpy on cold starts but once cleaned it would be alright for a week or two.

I bought a new Bremi MAF sensor from GSFcarparts and also a Mishmoto induction kit for it, and fitted the new MAF with the airbox in place and took it for a 15-20 mile drive and it still seems to feel a little lumpy/ hesitant in general driving but thought maybe it will take a bit longer to get used to the fact it’s not knackered anymore.

i fitted my induction kit this evening and taken it for a drive and it’s fine until you give it some and once it boosts it feels like it holding back and stuttering, this doesn’t seem to improve the longer I drive so just wondered if there is anything else it could be, i would say the general feel of the car is worse even just changing to the new MAF sensor on the standard setup.

Sorry about the essay and thanks in advance! :)

ossett2k2 06 November 2018 08:18 AM

I always thought the 2005 wrx uk sti was 2.0,I learn something new every day!
I would be fitting an oem mad sensor,some aftermarket stuff doesn't work on these cars.

LewisScoob 06 November 2018 08:51 AM

I've seen 55 plate hawks so i guess its possible to have a 2005 2.5.

How do/did you know the maf had seen better days? Ialways thought the newage ones were quite reliable.

Have you checked for fault codes? I'd be inclined to look at lambda

Gaunty-92 06 November 2018 11:13 AM

Thanks for the replies! Yeah it’s a very late 2005 :). The guy I bought it off mentioned it when I looked at it and said if you clean it then it’s fine again for a week or two then start again.

i’m going to try the old MAF later and see if it runs any better, failing that I may buy a new Denso MAF then if it runs better! Just strange how the new sensor caused the car to run worse than the old one.

if not I shall have to get it scanned to see whether any codes come up and take it from there. I’ll probs end up taking the induction kit off again to trial it as well

RobsyUK 31 December 2018 10:07 PM

Did you resolve your issue

Bazil_SW 31 December 2018 11:03 PM

For sure if you have fitted an induction kit that presumably the maf fits to, you will need to tweak the map as it changes the airflow over the maf. That changes the relationship between the maf reading in volts and the actual airflow, also called the MAF scaling.

If you don't it will run like ****e and potentially swing lean on boost and can can cause det (knock), which can punch holes in pistons and such, at the higher rpms and boost levels.

Gaunty-92 01 January 2019 04:29 AM

Yeah bought a new Denso MAF and put the old airbox back in with a new Cosworth panel filter and she’s run fine ever since!