ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   WR1 unused for 6 years - how to get it on the road? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1056562-wr1-unused-for-6-years-how-to-get-it-on-the-road.html)

Nick 16 October 2018 02:29 PM

WR1 unused for 6 years - how to get it on the road?

Hi

My WR1 has been sat in my garage with a dehumidifier & connected to a battery conditioner for about 6 or 7 years. A few months ago, I started her up to go out for a run, thinking it was only 2 years since I used it. (Yes, I now know that was very stupid.) The battery condition failed to start the car - the engine barely turned over. Reading up, I probably have dead fuel which is now in the injectors. I definitely need a new battery, I assume the fuel needs pumping out (Shell V-Power). Would the fuel filter have saved the injectors? Will I need to replace the fuel tank? Anything else? Can anyone recommend a pump suitable for pumping out the tank?

the shreksta 16 October 2018 03:10 PM

cambelt kit and water pump
brake fluid
discs/pads
tyres
check all lights
coolant
oil and filter change

hackisfun 16 October 2018 03:36 PM

Agreed. Being off the road for so long id replace all oils, coolant. Might be worth while even doing spark plugs, disks and pads. if you aren't on budget replace hoses with samco as they will perish over time, but they aren't cheap. Cost me around £600 for radiator, ancillaries, intercooler and power steering hoses and clips (customer red)

Nick 16 October 2018 05:30 PM

Thanks guys

I was going to do a full service after getting it running. So the fuel does need to be removed?

the shreksta 16 October 2018 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 12030931)
Thanks guys

I was going to do a full service after getting it running. So the fuel does need to be removed?

i would say so yeah.

also crank the engine over without letting it start so it builds up oil pressure 1st, you have to remove the crank sensor i believe for this, let the oil light go out then re-connect and start normally

jaygsi 16 October 2018 10:46 PM

Is your garage heated? Id replace the fuel and oil change spark plugs and go. Then get cambelt replaced. Wouldn't waste money on replacing coil packs. A coolant change wouldn't be a bad idea soon after.

Cambs_Stuart 17 October 2018 06:55 AM

As above a coolant change would be a good idea. I'd also check the power steering fluid and brake fluid as they've been sitting for a long time.
Again, as mentioned I'd definitely do the cambelt, rollers and water pump.

Nick 17 October 2018 10:59 AM

Thanks. The garage is not heated, the dehumidifier keeps moisture away.

What sort of pump can I get to pump out the fuel tank?

Cambs_Stuart 17 October 2018 01:46 PM

Something like this:

Be careful of static and anything that can spark.
No smoking.

bustaMOVEs 17 October 2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart (Post 12031046)
Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-.../dp/B003G2E0ZA

Be careful of static and anything that can spark.
No smoking.

they **** mate, cheap flimsy crap, I bought one for my gc8 and the pipe won't even get to bottom of tank or pump any fuel out, think it stops at a kink in the tank tunnel,

the shreksta 17 October 2018 07:47 PM

could you not fill the tank with fresh fuel which in turn would dilute the old fuel?

1509joe 17 October 2018 08:15 PM

Remove return pipe at the manifold. Get a piece of fuel hose into a 5 gallon drum off the steel pipe on the manifold start and wait till the tanks empty or the drums full. The fuel might be off but its not going to eat anything ticking over.

TECHNOPUG 18 October 2018 12:50 PM

Does the tank not have a drain plug?

1509joe 18 October 2018 02:12 PM

No.

stockcar 18 October 2018 04:33 PM

new-age car will almost certainly have a drain plug on the underneath of the fuel tank...

1509joe 18 October 2018 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12031223)
new-age car will almost certainly have a drain plug on the underneath of the fuel tank...

Go home you your teas ready. Now I'm going to have to go and investigate :confused:

stockcar 19 October 2018 09:00 AM

had my tea and very nice it was too, did you enjoy your humble pie for supper................:norty:

Nick 25 October 2018 10:57 AM

Sorry I missed all the recent replies guys, for some reason I'm not getting an email notification.

My friendly mechanic has gone off on a cruise for a month, so I'm stuck until he's back. Still trying to figure out a pump & I'm told different things about the fuel. Some people say leave it, some scream with horror. The fuel in there is Shell V Power. The cooling hoses all look good. So I'm looking at:

Replace fuel?
New water pump
New battery
Replace coolant
New cambelt
Replace brake fluid
Air con charge?
Check pads & disks, the pads are after market things which squeal horribly when hot. I'll go back to Prodrive.
Full service with oil change + filter

Is that it?

the shreksta 25 October 2018 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 12032019)
Sorry I missed all the recent replies guys, for some reason I'm not getting an email notification.

My friendly mechanic has gone off on a cruise for a month, so I'm stuck until he's back. Still trying to figure out a pump & I'm told different things about the fuel. Some people say leave it, some scream with horror. The fuel in there is Shell V Power. The cooling hoses all look good. So I'm looking at:

Replace fuel?
New water pump
New battery
Replace coolant
New cambelt
Replace brake fluid
Air con charge?
Check pads & disks, the pads are after market things which squeal horribly when hot. I'll go back to Prodrive.
Full service with oil change + filter

Is that it?

make sure its a full cambelt kit not just the belt
forget the aircon until you have a clean bill of health
check tyres for cracks on sidewalls
change gearbox oil and rear diff oil
spark plugs and air filter
fuel filter
coolant

how much fuel is in there? i would be tempted to dilute it with fresh fuel if there isnt alot in it

TECHNOPUG 25 October 2018 11:48 AM

All fluids and filters, plugs etc. I'd probably replace the fuel pump also.

Cambs_Stuart 25 October 2018 12:44 PM

Power steering fluid.
And a through inspection of bushes, drop links, suspension struts, engine mounts etc.

lockheed 26 October 2018 04:28 PM

Im only new here but id turn the car over with out the fuel pump running to stop excess fuel washing the bores ?

poffer1 26 October 2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12032020)
make sure its a full cambelt kit not just the belt
forget the aircon until you have a clean bill of health
check tyres for cracks on sidewalls
change gearbox oil and rear diff oil
spark plugs and air filter
fuel filter
coolant

how much fuel is in there? i would be tempted to dilute it with fresh fuel if there isnt alot in it

Wish I could find a WR1 in my garage....all I get is spiders.....
I wouldn't leave out the aircon recharge. It contains lubricants that get transferred to the seals each time you run the aircon. If it hasn't been run for 6 years the seals will be dry. Run it like that and there is a fair chance it will rip the seals up. Not worth it for £40. (It is possible some parts are compromised anyway, but since they are £££ it is worth a go with just a fluid change).

And I would simply use the tyres for low speed manouvres whilst fettling the car, then chuck the tyres.

Nick 30 October 2018 11:56 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a WR1 parts list?