ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Did anyones iPhone on O2 brick itself over the weekend? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1056463-did-anyones-iphone-on-o2-brick-itself-over-the-weekend.html)

ALi-B 09 October 2018 01:33 PM

Did anyones iPhone on O2 brick itself over the weekend?

Mine has :mad:

Woke up, well didn't because alarm didn't work, to find white "Activation Error" on it.

Is it a coincidence that O2 had major outages issues over the weekend or not? The only clue I had of any issue was that iMessages were not sending :wonder:

It won't won't restore or update either, well, not when tethered to a PC.

I guess it's a trip to the phone shop :rolleyes: battery is fecked and screen slightly cracked so I'm probably going to get screwed on that.

​​​​​​​iphone 6s btw

ZANY 09 October 2018 02:32 PM

My 6plus on o2 been fine

RockyRoad 09 October 2018 03:48 PM

My SE on O2 hasn't had any issues.

Have you tried a hard reset? Needs to be connected to iTunes when you hold the home and lock buttons until the recovery menu appears, don't just let off when the Apple logo appears. This will wipe your phone so maybe not ideal if you don't have a backup. Solved a lot of problems a friend was having with her iPad a while ago, including forgetting their passcode :lol1: .

alcazar 09 October 2018 07:51 PM

Wifes i-phone 5 was off. Still sounds awful, crackly etc.

LostUser 09 October 2018 09:07 PM

Had you installed IOS 12? It's possible that your phone automatically updated to 12.0.1 (auto-update is a new feature in IOS 12) overnight and this caused the problem

Pross 09 October 2018 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by LostUser (Post 12030105)
Had you installed IOS 12? It's possible that your phone automatically updated to 12.0.1 (auto-update is a new feature in IOS 12) overnight and this caused the problem

auto updates is a new feature, its OFF by default, and there is no way a phone with ios11 could auto update to 12.

sparrowdclxvi 10 October 2018 09:08 AM

Mine's fine. iOS 12.
iPhone 6 or 6s, not sure which.

dpb 10 October 2018 11:27 AM

All ok after/before this update on this 6s , not on O2 though

plusnet

ALi-B 11 October 2018 01:20 PM

Sorts not got round to looking at it since, I tried to restore it holding the buttons and plugging it in via a USB, But it's still dead.

currently using my old 4S. Love how tiny it is, hate how fecking slow it is....it struggles on almost all websites, he'll im using it now and I can type faster than it appears on the screen! :rolleyes:

Thinking of binning it for a new old stock SE before they run out, this shape of phone is definetly nicer to hold than the 6/7/8 and my thumb reaches the top! :lol1:

ALi-B 11 October 2018 01:23 PM

That should say "sorry" not "sorts", for some reason the edit post window is blank on this thing :rolleyes:

RockyRoad 11 October 2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12030333)
Sorts not got round to looking at it since, I tried to restore it holding the buttons and plugging it in via a USB, But it's still dead.

currently using my old 4S. Love how tiny it is, hate how fecking slow it is....it struggles on almost all websites, he'll im using it now and I can type faster than it appears on the screen! :rolleyes:

Thinking of binning it for a new old stock SE before they run out, this shape of phone is definetly nicer to hold than the 6/7/8 and my thumb reaches the top! :lol1:

Just so you're aware if you weren't, the SE is bigger than the 4S since it uses the 5 chassis. My parents and brother are on 5S's or SE's because we all prefer the size to the larger 6 onwards. I'm likely to get a 7 or 8 when my contract renews though because I would like the water resistance those models offer. If they made an SE sized model with the water resistance, I'd be all over it.

ALi-B 11 October 2018 07:03 PM

Yeah, I used to have a 5S but sold it when I switched to a 6S, the 4 never got sold for some reason (probably too much going on at the time, so got forgotten about).

Being honest, never got on with the 6S's size and shape and its delicate screen, I think pretty much everyone I know has had to have a screen replaced on their 6/7, whereas both my 4s and 5s still have originals and they had their fair share of full height drops.

ALi-B 17 October 2018 06:44 PM

Finally got round to sorting this.

why?

Because restore would only work when connected to a Mac! Do it in iTunes on a PC, nothing, nada, zilch, no matter how you hold the buttons, plug, unplug etc, the phone just turns on. Did it on a Mac (took this long to borrow one) and presto restore mode straight away! Not one single guide or forum on the Internet mentions that restore may not work via a PC but will on a Mac, well for future reference for anyone who has a issue, if you are trying to do it via a PC and get stuck, try borrowing a Mac!

I think the initial bricking may have been caused by o2 and Apple blocking appleIDs on phones with outdated iOS versions, which in turn ‘decativated’ the phone as they upgraded the login security criteria on newer versions of iOS. I was on iOS10 (ain’t broke don’t fix lol...avoided all the slow down fiasco when 11 came out), so I was one of the very few that got bit by this.