ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   using mobile to pay at a drive thru..........think again (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1056400-using-mobile-to-pay-at-a-drive-thru-think-again.html)

the shreksta 04 October 2018 06:28 PM

using mobile to pay at a drive thru..........think again

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...id=mailsignout

markjmd 04 October 2018 06:35 PM

Quite frankly, people who use their phones to pay for things are asking to have all their money taken from them anyway. It's a system that's just begging to be hacked.

andy97 04 October 2018 08:28 PM

Its probably more secure than using your card. The debit card number is changed on the phone, require the phone to be unlocked before using payment app.

dpb 04 October 2018 09:13 PM

I dont quite understand why people buy this ****e in the first place

Afaik apple pay is more secure

dpb 04 October 2018 09:14 PM

I always pay cash for 2,50 burger from the burger van guy , parked 20 m from Macdonalds

urban 05 October 2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12029395)

I think that would be difficult to enforce in reality.
You're already stopped, probably with the car in neutral, or in park/hold mode when driving an automatic, and most likely the engine will be off due to stop/start when a modern car.

robby 07 October 2018 09:06 PM

I always thought if the car was out of gear with handbrake on it was ok to use a phone? didn't know the engine had to be stopped as well - how many taxis could be caught at taxi ranks, etc

NOSSY_89 07 October 2018 10:38 PM

Wait a minute in the article it says on private land. I thought normal traffic laws didn't apply. If you are on private land normal speed limits do not apply and you don't even need a license. Admittedly car parks etc are slightly different but being on your phone to pay for something shouldn't apply. Its like they don't understand texting vs mobile pay. They are two very different things even though they are on the phone. Have the police seriously got nothing better to do.

pimmo2000 08 October 2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 12029397)
Quite frankly, people who use their phones to pay for things are asking to have all their money taken from them anyway. It's a system that's just begging to be hacked.

Compared to normal bank card, online banking, phone banking, etc the mobile pay is surprisingly secure and less abused. If someone with the skills wants your money, they're going to get it. created by man can be beaten by man ..

markjmd 08 October 2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 12029861)
Compared to normal bank card, online banking, phone banking, etc the mobile pay is surprisingly secure and less abused. If someone with the skills wants your money, they're going to get it. created by man can be beaten by man ..

There are so many problems with the above, I almost don't know where to start:
1. The majority of people who use phone-pay services will also still possess bank cards, so in reality all they're doing is multiplying the possible attack vectors open to fraudsters to get at their money.
2. If they don't also still possess bank-cards, they're now in a position of being reliant on:
a. Merchants actually supporting their chosen phone-pay service,
b. Constantly having to carry their phone with them,
c. Constantly having to make sure their phone is charged
etc, etc

Bottom-line, who cares if it's more secure, if it means becoming surgically attached to your phone, just to enjoy the benefits of that extra security?

(and yes, I am playing Devli's Advocate slightly here, but there are times when that's very well justified)

The Trooper 1815 08 October 2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 12029898)
1. The majority of people who use phone-pay services will also still possess bank cards, so in reality all they're doing is multiplying the possible attack vectors open to fraudsters to get at their money.
2. If they don't also still possess bank-cards, they're now in a position of being reliant on:
etc, etc

Bottom-line, who cares if it's more secure, if it means becoming surgically attached to your phone, just to enjoy the benefits of that extra security?

(and yes, I am playing Devli's Advocate slightly here, but there are times when that's very well justified)

People become MoZo's - Face glow Mobile Zombies.

urban 08 October 2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 12029898)
etc, etc

I don't use mobile for payments, but my mobile goes everywhere with me, and its always charged.
I can't think of the last shop I went into that didn't have contact less payments either, I'm sure some of the smaller places probably don't offer it, but its only a matter of time
The only issue with it is the £30 limit

dpb 08 October 2018 03:44 PM

Hadnt noticed ..

RobsyUK 08 October 2018 03:45 PM

It’s bolloxs scaremongering.
drive thru’s are private land and the law doesn’t apply.

Wurzel 08 October 2018 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12029912)
It’s bolloxs scaremongering.
drive thru’s are private land and the law doesn’t apply.

I am guessing you missed this part.

"As to whether you're safe on private land - sadly any road the public has free access to is covered by the laws. "

RobsyUK 08 October 2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 12029925)
I am guessing you missed this part.

"As to whether you're safe on private land - sadly any road the public has free access to is covered by the laws. "

I doubt the police would ever do someone in a drive thru

matt-c 09 October 2018 10:52 AM

All this moaning about people being on their phones, show's how the average age of scoobynetters (me included) is going up.
Apple pay is secure to a reasonable degree as of now, therefore safe to use. Yes, it's another vector but not one that your average thief will be bothering with.

Moan about tech at our peril, it's fast becoming literally the only hope we have to defeat our problems like climate change and others.