ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   no compression after tgv delete? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1056298-no-compression-after-tgv-delete.html)

Tom Foster 24 September 2018 07:15 PM

no compression after tgv delete?

hi all a bit of a problem https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/e...1/16/1f61e.png after getting my cars engine rebuilt buy and maped. i started getting tgv problems. so i looked up on how to delete them so i manage to get a delete kit. from icp with all gaskets ect i removed the inlet and got it resprayed thought i might as well seems iv got to remove it to get to the tgvs .and then refitted every thing .for some reason the car wouldn't start very easy when it did it ran crap now wont start at all .so had it towed to local garage they say its got no compression in any cylinders .i just think thats a bit odd .any idears

rsjohn 25 September 2018 08:47 AM

Did you take it back to the garage that did the engine rebuild or even contact them?

JDM_Stig 25 September 2018 10:04 AM

Loads of questions about paint where gaskets fit, were new inlet gaskets used ?
You don`t just loose compression by removing and refitting the inlet manifold.

TECHNOPUG 25 September 2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12028199)
Loads of questions about paint where gaskets fit, were new inlet gaskets used ?
You don`t just loose compression by removing and refitting the inlet manifold.

Everything points to an issue with refitting the inlet manifold/painting, as you suggest, as that is the only part that has been touched.

stockcar 25 September 2018 04:27 PM

was it bead blasted clean by any chance??

if so its possible grit has remained in the manifold and contaminated / damaged the bores when started............

Jay Cartay 25 September 2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12028247)
was it bead blasted clean by any chance??

if so its possible grit has remained in the manifold and contaminated / damaged the bores when started............

Exactly what's recently happened to a friend of mine and my first thought.

imprezagaz 25 September 2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay (Post 12028248)

this happened to me too years ago on a type r. It shot the bores

Tom Foster 25 September 2018 06:19 PM

UPDATE my local garage looked in to the bores with a cam and found that all of them are badly scored ?

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay (Post 12028248)

yes the inlet was blasted and repainted but was cleaned out be for being refitted .and was never run after (coundant get it started thats why i had taken it to the garage )

Jay Cartay 26 September 2018 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Foster (Post 12028255)
UPDATE my local garage looked in to the bores with a cam and found that all of them are badly scored ?

yes the inlet was blasted and repainted but was cleaned out be for being refitted .and was never run after (coundant get it started thats why i had taken it to the garage )

He thought his was clean too... Trying to start it could have scored the bores if media was present, surely?

BrownPantsRacing 26 September 2018 02:53 PM

Ouch. Sorry to hear this, That's rough.

rsjohn 26 September 2018 03:12 PM

Surely if there was media in the inlet it would only be a small amount and would still start initially
And surely it wouldnt loose all compression just like that or does it have some still?

JDM_Stig 26 September 2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by rsjohn (Post 12028358)
Surely if there was media in the inlet it would only be a small amount and would still start initially
And surely it wouldnt loose all compression just like that or does it have some still?

Exactly

Tom Foster 26 September 2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by rsjohn (Post 12028358)

I did manage to get it started advenchaly after I fitted the inlet but was trying for ages to start it just kept turning over .there is some compression not a lot between 10 to 20 psi

rsjohn 26 September 2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Foster (Post 12028375)
I did manage to get it started advenchaly after I fitted the inlet but was trying for ages to start it just kept turning over .there is some compression not a lot between 10 to 20 psi

Even if the bores are scored, i cant see how it would lose compression unless there was that much media in there its clogged the rings - and even then i think its highly unlikely.

Have you checked the cam timing is correct?

merlin24 26 September 2018 10:05 PM

Good chance the blast medium is stuck around the inlet valves/seats and not allowing the valves to close onto the seats,hence almost zero compression.

rsjohn 09 October 2018 12:49 PM

Did the OP ever get to the bottom of this?