ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Blueprinted engine by Paul finch? ​​​​​​​ (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1056293-blueprinted-engine-by-paul-finch.html)

ossett2k2 24 September 2018 10:52 AM

Blueprinted engine by Paul finch? ​​​​​​​

Been looking for a short block and came across this on fb.
data sheet says nothing about Blueprinted,lists of parts used are oe.

If this is a true Blueprinted engine then would be worth a lot more than £2400? The seller says it 100% is.

scooby kid 24 September 2018 11:13 AM

I saw this, put uses oem parts . Is it stronger?
I was confused why it had half Acl bearings and oem rest ?

ossett2k2 24 September 2018 11:25 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...994369f29d.jpg

ossett2k2 24 September 2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by scooby kid (Post 12028077)
I saw this, put uses oem parts . Is it stronger?
I was confused why it had half Acl bearings and oem rest ?

I'm sure it's a very well built engine by Paul but I can't see it being a True Blueprinted engine??
Would oe parts be used?
The fact it's advertised at over £2700 when a brand new one can be bought for little over £2000 is funny.

peter zippy reid 24 September 2018 12:19 PM

Is that not fb tuning off here thats selling that

stockcar 24 September 2018 12:54 PM

"blue printing" is simply the process of achieving the 'best' tolerance for the mechanical parts and was mostly used for production class competition arenas where aftermarket "uprated" parts were outlawed.............

ossett2k2 24 September 2018 01:46 PM

So all the rods,pistons,pins etc will have been machined to weigh the same,all bores,piston clearance etc exact?
Google throws up quite a few terms for blue printing.

Has this blue printed engine had a lot more work gone into the build when done,do 'top' engine builders go for the 'best' tolerances with all their builds anyway?

stockcar 24 September 2018 02:14 PM

seems like you would be far better to speak to Paul himself and get the actual low down

in terms of the old production classes then you were never allowed to machine to remove weight or indeed clean up castings, etc. - they were all "matched" by have large amounts of std components and carefully selecting the 'best'
was far more relevant a number of years ago because of the inconsistencies and large tolerance range that a lot of the factories applied

BrownPantsRacing 24 September 2018 02:15 PM

There are normally certain areas within blueprinted engines that are acceptable for racing. As mentioned by Stockcar above, this was common in racing series where only standard engines were allowed but people would match rod weights gram per gram, fully balance and in some cases would allow pistons up to +60 thou oversized within the regs. Some of my old race engines have been blueprinted and the difference in power was vast compared to a standard engine.

That said, a well built forged engine would certainly be stronger. At the end of the day the engine uses standard factory components.

BrownPantsRacing 24 September 2018 02:15 PM

You beat me to it!!!! :)

ossett2k2 24 September 2018 02:32 PM

Cheers guys,clears it up a bit.
No doubting the engines built well as from Paul finch,I think I'm questioning is a built Blueprinted engine going to be better than a new engine from factory if both are using oe parts?

BrownPantsRacing 24 September 2018 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 12028118)
Cheers guys,clears it up a bit.
No doubting the engines built well as from Paul finch,I think I'm questioning is a built Blueprinted engine going to be better than a new engine from factory if both are using oe parts?

Oh god yes, I would have that over a standard factory engine any day.

ossett2k2 24 September 2018 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12028119)
Oh god yes, I would have that over a standard factory engine any day.

:thumb: