ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   My late fiancée's broken Sport Special. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1056284-my-late-fianc-es-broken-sport-special.html)

dark_angel 23 September 2018 08:10 PM

My late fiancée's broken Sport Special.

Hi folks,

I'm hoping for some advice re: the title.

Firstly some background info - my Emma was a renal transplant patient for the last 30 odd years of her life and in November 2015 she fell seriously ill and died in the following January from sepsis at the age of 42.

So to the point - for the last 5 years the car has been sorned and is parked off road in a communal "parking bay" big enough for about 6 cars if everyone parks properly. The land doesn't belong to anyone nor the council and a friendly neighbour has parked his sorned car behind the sport special. The car belongs to Emma's "estate" and her father is the sole executor of the estate - even though I did all the associated admin when Emma passed away. He cut off all contact with me after her funeral (understandable, but his choice) so I left it as it was.

I've been slowly removing the modified parts from the car (lots of them) I've got everything off apart from the unequal manifold, full decat section, brakes, wheels and suspension (all upgraded parts).

So what I want to know is can I arrange for the car to be scrapped even though I'm not the registered keeper (its Emma's name on the V5) ?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Brun 23 September 2018 08:39 PM

What are you asking?

RAGGY DOO 23 September 2018 08:45 PM

Sorry for you loss man all the best with the car

The Trooper 1815 23 September 2018 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by dark_angel (Post 12028025)
Hi folks,

I'm hoping for some advice re: the title.

Firstly some background info - my Emma was a renal transplant patient for the last 30 odd years of her life and in November 2015 she fell seriously ill and died in the following January from sepsis at the age of 42.

So to the point - for the last 5 years the car has been sorned and is parked off road in a communal "parking bay" big enough for about 6 cars if everyone parks properly. The land doesn't belong to anyone nor the council and a friendly neighbour has parked his sorned car behind the sport special. The car belongs to Emma's "estate" and her father is the sole executor of the estate - even though I did all the associated admin when Emma passed away. He cut off all contact with me after her funeral (understandable, but his choice) so I left it as it was.

I've been slowly removing the modified parts from the car (lots of them) I've got everything off apart from the unequal manifold, full decat section, brakes, wheels and suspension (all upgraded parts).

So what I want to know is can I arrange for the car to be scrapped even though I'm not the registered keeper (its Emma's name on the V5) ?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Legally no. You can report the car as abandoned then the registered keeper will be approached by DVLA. What happens after that depends on what the Registered keeper executor does.

dark_angel 23 September 2018 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 12028038)
Legally no. You can report the car as abandoned then the registered keeper will be approached by DVLA. What happens after that depends on what the Registered keeper executor does.

Thank you - it's as I thought but I've had to ask as some of the less friendly neighbours are bitching about it being there.

Thanks again.

Andrew.

dark_angel 23 September 2018 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 12028029)
Sorry for you loss man all the best with the car

thank you.

Andrew

Ayde 24 September 2018 12:12 AM

You can get it transferred to your ownership with or without the logbook, you need to write a letter to the DVLA explaining the death and then once registered to yourself you can get it scrapped.

Ayde 24 September 2018 12:12 AM

https://www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-b...ng-the-vehicle

markb_s1 24 September 2018 10:11 AM

Sorry for your loss. That's really rough.

One thing I don't understand, if the car belongs to Emma's estate, aren't you effectively nicking the bits you're taking off it?
(I appreciate her father is not contactable, which obviously makes things difficult in that respect.)

dark_angel 24 September 2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by markb_s1 (Post 12028067)
Sorry for your loss. That's really rough.

One thing I don't understand, if the car belongs to Emma's estate, aren't you effectively nicking the bits you're taking off it?
(I appreciate her father is not contactable, which obviously makes things difficult in that respect.)

Thanks

I have only took off the upgraded parts which I paid for - I have the documents to prove I paid for them. There is still a number of parts that I paid for on the car - all quite major upgrades.

Thanks.

Andrew.

markb_s1 24 September 2018 10:22 AM

Understood.
Please don't think i was having a go/accusing.. i wasn't. was just curious.

dark_angel 24 September 2018 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ayde (Post 12028047)
You can get it transferred to your ownership with or without the logbook, you need to write a letter to the DVLA explaining the death and then once registered to yourself you can get it scrapped.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew.

The Trooper 1815 24 September 2018 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ayde (Post 12028047)

An Executor is in place. Which means unless you contest the Estate through the courts then technically you are taking ownership of someone elses legal property.

dark_angel 25 September 2018 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by markb_s1 (Post 12028069)
Understood.
Please don't think i was having a go/accusing.. i wasn't. was just curious.

No I didn't think that - just putting it out there - I spent a lot of time and money on the car - mainly improving it and making it safer for her to drive and it's just sat there rusting away before my eyes - every time I go outside its there and it's starting me make me feel almost depressed. It's just something else I've failled to do.

Andrew.

dark_angel 25 September 2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 12028180)
An Executor is in place. Which means unless you contest the Estate through the courts then technically you are taking ownership of someone elses legal property.

Thanks again, Ian.

Top advise as usual.

I would like to apologise for any bad feeling and crap comments I've made in the past.

Andrew.

TECHNOPUG 25 September 2018 10:34 AM

Surely the V5 just proves who the registered keeper is, not who the owner is?

I'd contact the DVLA and get the registration changed into your name and get it scrapped. Clearly the father has no interest in it and it seems highly unlikely that he's going to suddenly demand the car back, after 5 years of ignoring it. It sounds like he doesn't want anything to remind him of his daughter's loss.

I have a mate who had an Alfa 156 sat outside his house for months. It was just after the New Year Tsunami and he figured maybe the owner had died. He contacted the DVLA and got the V5 transferred into his name. Then armed with the V5, went to Alfa to get a key cut. Got it cleaned up and working and then advertised it for sale. He then got a call from the “owner”, who turned out to be a trader who had his stock parked all around the local residential roads and had forgotten where he’d left the Alfa. A deal was struck to “sell” the V5 back (mate’s expenses plus a sweetener).

So it can be done. I’d contact the DVLA in the first instance. Alternatively, the land where the car is parked HAS to belong to someone. Find out who and then report the car as abandoned and pressure them to deal with it. Or claim the land as your own and start issuing the father parking fines…..

RAGGY DOO 25 September 2018 10:41 AM

Start issuing the father with parking fines ? What kinda asshole are you in all fairness

TECHNOPUG 25 September 2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 12028204)
Start issuing the father with parking fines ? What kinda asshole are you in all fairness

You think that was a serious suggestion? Wow! Just wow....:Whatever_

RAGGY DOO 25 September 2018 10:59 AM

Why did you post it up then ?

The Trooper 1815 25 September 2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by dark_angel (Post 12028185)

Thanks again, Ian.

Top advise as usual.

I would like to apologise for any bad feeling and crap comments I've made in the past.

Andrew.

Onwards and upwards.I am getting old and forget easily.

funkyrimpler 26 September 2018 09:31 PM

I suppose like with any abandoned car, bits get nicked and nobody knows who, what, where, when, why or how? No face, no case as they say...
Very sorry to hear of your loss and subsequent dilemma mate.

Vxr2010 27 September 2018 02:05 PM

I’ve not read all the post but if you are trying to get ownership of a vehicle , contact the dvla saying it’s abandoned which in effect it is , they will contact the current keeper who ( no disrespect intended ) can’t and won’t respond , they will send you a new v5 out in your name , if no one contests it the car is yours , when you are the new owner the previous owner ( again no disrespect intended ) has a right of civil appeal with in one year , the opening line on a v5 is this is not proof of ownership , the above route is a lawful legal route to obtain a car , i would speak to land owners to make him aware as a matter of courtesy as that is the only twist to the situation but i expect land owner is happy for the car to go too ?

salsa-king 28 September 2018 07:23 AM

that's really sad news :(

but it also shows you the need to be married in these situations as you have no legal say on any thing relating to Emma :(

Jamo 28 September 2018 11:36 AM

hes managing the estate, he needs to sort it

salsa-king 29 September 2018 08:53 AM

yes he does, but not being next of kin means he has no say on what happens, it's out Andrew's hand.