ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Bugeye Options/advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1056275-bugeye-options-advice.html)

medmick 23 September 2018 12:10 PM

Bugeye Options/advice

I have an 02 Bug Impreza WRX STI prodrive style. The only upgrades I have done are panel filter/ RCM fuel pump/100 cell cat and 3" exhaust. I was thinking of a remap, but as the car has done 115k miles, would this cause old engine parts to fail?
I want to keep this car for sentimental reasons, and would really appreciate your opinions on my options.
Do I go for the remap?
Do I go for the 2.1 stroker rebuild before the engine goes?
Or do I leave as is, and wait for the engine to go before I look at the above?
Any other options that I have missed?

scooby kid 23 September 2018 12:26 PM

If the car is all full serviced, all fluids and filters you could up the grade of the plugs to 7s. And have it remapped this should see around 330hp. If the car is in good health there should be no reason for it to go pop. The bug sti engines where very strong. The clutch may start to feel tired if it's still the original item.

medmick 23 September 2018 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by scooby kid (Post 12027963)
If the car is all full serviced, all fluids and filters you could up the grade of the plugs to 7s. And have it remapped this should see around 330hp. If the car is in good health there should be no reason for it to go pop. The bug sti engines where very strong. The clutch may start to feel tired if it's still the original item.

Thanks Scooby kid, car is all fully serviced, forgot I had the clutch and lightweight flywheel changed last year!

Russell38 23 September 2018 03:02 PM

Shouldn't it be remapped if it's running a sports cat anyway?

medmick 23 September 2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Russell38 (Post 12027982)
Shouldn't it be remapped if it's running a sports cat anyway?

Ita all running ok without a remap

the shreksta 23 September 2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by medmick (Post 12028005)
Ita all running ok without a remap

how do you know?

subaru's need the map adjusting for pretty much every engine related modification thats done to it. you wouldnt want it to run lean now would you?

get it mapped by a reputable mapper and feed it good fuel like shell v-power

yabbadoo4 23 September 2018 08:10 PM

get it mapped bud. my bug sti made 340 bhp and has just turned 105k. it still scares the pants off most things around town :norty:

medmick 25 September 2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 12028026)
get it mapped bud. my bug sti made 340 bhp and has just turned 105k. it still scares the pants off most things around town :norty:

Haha, that's it, it's going in for a remap, thanks for all your help