ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Replacement Shock Recommendations (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1056238-replacement-shock-recommendations.html)

hackisfun 20 September 2018 08:58 AM

Replacement Shock Recommendations

Hi All

Looking Recommendations on replacement front and rear shocks for my 2006 wrx sti (hawkeye) impreza.

2Pot has said "If you are only doing low mileage, you can use the inverted KYB ultra sr rear strut kyb 321004 & 321005. Most change to KYB ultra sr non-inverted strut 324030 & 324031. This style of damper rod is bathed in oil"

However after checking these part codes are not listed on KYB catalogue for the STi models, they only list for the WRX.

I'm looking at replacing all 4 struts. Can anyone give me good recommendations and (to help me out provide part numbers)

SmurfyBhoy 20 September 2018 09:10 AM

I have those rears here sent you pm :) 004&005

2pot 20 September 2018 09:20 AM

The KYB excel-g WRX struts couldn't control an STI rate spring.
The Ultra sr struts can control an STI spring rate.
The non-inverted Ultra SR strut is listed against the WRX, because it is not an inverted strut.

Your front strut is a problem:
You can install a Koni insert.
You can buy new from Subaru.
You can buy Pedders - the widetrack STI struts are having issues, so far, which is a shame. Plus, imo, their ride height is too low for their spring rates.

I've had a preliminary meeting with Bilstein about designing some STI inserts (the Koni inserts, due to their diameter, are not straightforward, in the widetrack housing). I'll drop off some empty strut housings this week.

hackisfun 20 September 2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2pot (Post 12027544)
The KYB excel-g WRX struts couldn't control an STI rate spring.
The Ultra sr struts can control an STI spring rate.
The non-inverted Ultra SR strut is listed against the WRX, because it is not an inverted strut.

Your front strut is a problem:
You can install a Koni insert.
You can buy new from Subaru.
You can buy Pedders - the widetrack STI struts are having issues, so far, which is a shame. Plus, imo, their ride height is too low for their spring rates.

I've had a preliminary meeting with Bilstein about designing some STI inserts (the Koni inserts, due to their diameter, are not straightforward, in the widetrack housing). I'll drop off some empty strut housings this week.

I don't believe I've got an issue on the fronts. Just my OCD if replacing all springs and bumpstops and rears might as well do the front struts at the same time. Using my Reg/VI the KYB catalogue shows 0 part listings which is annoying

2pot 20 September 2018 10:29 AM

Subaru-wise, the KYB catalogue has many errors.

Strut performance tails off over 50k. Or, significantly less with a damper/spring mismatch.

The bump stops are awkward to change, when using inverted struts

hackisfun 20 September 2018 10:47 AM

The suspension issue seems more complicated than I first anticipated. part of me might just take the risk with Tein Flex z or Miestrr coilovers. Will be after Christmas before I've got all the cash. So i'll hold off incase theres a development on the Bilstein inserts.

Croney 20 September 2018 10:19 PM

Iv got an 03 blob and i carnt decide between pedders or eibach peo street coilovers