ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Priming oil system (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1056167-priming-oil-system.html)

emlclcy 17 September 2018 05:41 PM

Priming oil system

I've an ej205 engine that's been sat a number of years. It's had the oil drained and the crank has not seized, turned it about 10deg. Is there a way to prime the oil system without spining the crank? The old rover v8 engines you could pull the dizzy and spin the oil pump

emlclcy 18 September 2018 01:15 PM

I've looked at a schematic of the oil flow and it goes from the sump pickup to the pump then to the outer part of the oil filter then through the centre of the oil filter to the rest of the oil galleries.
So as I wont be starting the engine for a month or two I could make a header tank for the engine oil above the engine, then with an adapter in place of the oil filter, back fill the sump relying on the clearances in the oil pump, I could leave it like that for a few weeks. Then if that works, fill the oil filter and spin the engine over without plugs and with some oil (someone suggested diesel) down the bores.
think it might work?
cheers
carl

edsel 19 September 2018 01:47 AM

This is my method of priming after oil changes and initial start up after rebuild.

Fill the oil filter with recommend oil, this oil will be absorbed after a minute or two and will need topping up a couple times.
Follow oil filter fitting and fill engine with oil.
Disconnect crank position sensor (above crank pulley) and crank engine until satisfied oil has circulated or pressure gauge shows oil pressure. Reconnect crank position sensor and with a bit of luck will fire up.

Edit: just re read your post, I'm not aware of anyone priming the pump before start up. Probably because the oil pump is driven off the crank. The pressure relief valve can be taken out and I guess filled with oil to prime the pump but have never heard of anyone needing to do so.

emlclcy 19 September 2018 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by edsel (Post 12027389)
This is my method of priming after oil changes and initial start up after rebuild.

Fill the oil filter with recommend oil, this oil will be absorbed after a minute or two and will need topping up a couple times.
Disconnect crank position sensor (above crank pulley) and crank engine until satisfied oil has circulated or pressure gauge shows oil pressure. Reconnect crank position sensor and with a bit of luck will fire up.

Edit: just re read your post, I'm not aware of anyone priming the pump before start up. Probably because the oil pump is driven off the crank. The pressure relief valve can be taken out and I guess filled with oil to prime the pump but have never heard of anyone needing to do so.

Interesting idea about using the pressure relief valve, ive not take the oil pump apart, is it the sort of diagonal part of the casting? just a piston spring and screw?
This would be the idea place to pump oil into the oil galleries, both priming the pump and getting the shell bearings wet.
My engine has been standing for about 6-7years untouched

edsel 19 September 2018 12:20 PM

Unless the oil is filled under pressure there would be little chance of it getting to the crank. The only way to be sure the bearing surfaces are lubricated would be to remove the oil pan and windage tray and lube with an oil can.

merlin24 19 September 2018 09:20 PM

The oil pump has a built in reservoir to hold the oil in the pump ( the 2 chambers at the bottom of the pump ) but after that amount of time being stood
and not turned over, you may have internal corrosion due to moisture on the bores,cam's etc.

emlclcy 19 September 2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by merlin24 (Post 12027503)
The oil pump has a built in reservoir to hold the oil in the pump ( the 2 chambers at the bottom of the pump ) but after that amount of time being stood
and not turned over, you may have internal corrosion due to moisture on the bores,cam's etc.

yes i'm hoping its all okay. I turned the crank about 10 deg ant it didn't offer resistance. Its in a kit car so access is very limited so i'll make an adapter for where the oil filter goes and inject oil that way

TECHNOPUG 19 September 2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by edsel (Post 12027389)

Why would prime after an oil change?

edsel 19 September 2018 11:44 PM

After draining the oil why not? As the filter is fitted vertically under the engine that oil will be circulated before initial start up and oil pressure built up.
Essential, probably not. Good practice, definitely.

TECHNOPUG 20 September 2018 08:34 AM

That's the same scenario every time you start the engine though - all the oil has drained to the sump.
I can understand after a fresh engine build but no value when changing the oil. Won't do any harm but seems like a waste of time.

emlclcy 20 September 2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 12027535)
That's the same scenario every time you start the engine though - all the oil has drained to the sump.
I can understand after a fresh engine build but no value when changing the oil. Won't do any harm but seems like a waste of time.

ive always primed the oil filter, pain in the ass on my transit van as its side on and you cant see. getting on for a pint of oil in a filter I recon.
back to the original post, as the engine is in a kit car, the timing cover is totally inaccessible so the plan now is to machine a 'filter' that I can pump oil into, this will hopefully push oil around the galleries and the pump, we'll see

1509joe 20 September 2018 12:34 PM

Think your making a big deal over this if your worried as said fill oil filter plugs out and push it. Or turn over on starter. I'd be more worried over an old timing belt.

MOTORS S GT 20 September 2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by emlclcy (Post 12027536)
ive always primed the oil filter, pain in the ass on my transit van as its side on and you cant see. getting on for a pint of oil in a filter I recon.
back to the original post, as the engine is in a kit car, the timing cover is totally inaccessible so the plan now is to machine a 'filter' that I can pump oil into, this will hopefully push oil around the galleries and the pump, we'll see

You need to be very care full back priming oil systems, as the pick up pipe to oil pump will be empty, your filling the system from the pressure side, trapping air that normally gets let out through the system, you will end up not letting out the air & it not allowing it to pick oil up from the sump.

emlclcy 21 September 2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 12027587)
You need to be very care full back priming oil systems, as the pick up pipe to oil pump will be empty, your filling the system from the pressure side, trapping air that normally gets let out through the system, you will end up not letting out the air & it not allowing it to pick oil up from the sump.

not sure I understand what you are saying. If I pressure fill from the oil filter side, resistance should be met by the oil pump one way and the rest of the bearings the other. The oil pump has clearances so oil will pass through slowly filling the pickup strainer and then the sump. as there has been no oil in the engine for a number of years the pickup strainer would be empty at the moment