ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Decisions (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1056152-decisions.html)

si_pow 16 September 2018 10:17 AM

Decisions

My 07 hawk wrx got remapped last year with a vf48 turbo and supporting mods and on the way home from the tuner the car started putting thick grey smoke out of the exhaust, and there is the same smoke coming out of the breather pipes and the oil filler neck. The catch cans filled with oil almost instantly.
im assuming its piston failure, possible even more.
The car has a whole list of mods and was my baby until this happened at the start of the year and has since been locked away in the garage.

now decisions. Do i
a. Rebuild it? Not sure how much i should expect to spend to have a nice weekend car nothing to crazy
b. Admit defeat and sell up? Ive just bought a house so could really do with the extra money. Is a hawk wrx needing a rebuild still worth anything?

any info or advice would be appreciated

cheers

alcazar 16 September 2018 11:03 AM

Sell up.

A money pit that time has passed by.

I wish I'd sold mine when I had chance. Worth more if I break it now and can't be arsed with that game.

ossett2k2 16 September 2018 11:08 AM

Would blown turbo oil seals give the same symptoms?
Was the engine knocking?

si_pow 16 September 2018 11:18 AM

No theres no engine knock. The car had remap, turbo fitted, new walbro 255, 3" decat, and got 2 catch cans fitted. The air pump was removed to. It didnt feel that much difference considering it should have been 50hp more. Must have drove no more than 50miles ish and it started to loose power as if it was on 3 cylinders and there was thick grey smoke behind me

ossett2k2 16 September 2018 11:20 AM

What turbo was in it? Td04?we're the vf48 coolant&oil lines/banjo bolt used?
also was the pcv still used with the catch cans?

si_pow 16 September 2018 11:23 AM

It was a vf48 that i had fitted. I took it to a reputable place with all the bits and had them fit them for me. I supplied the banjo bolts so assuming they fitted them.
i rang them when i pulled over half way home from remap and explained what had happened and they said it was probably piston failure. I wouldnt of minded if i was kicking its head in but i was doing 50mph in 5th

si_pow 16 September 2018 11:26 AM

Not sure if pcv still used. He said he removed airpump and fitted 2 catch cans. Im sure its 1 for the crankcase and the other for something else

ossett2k2 16 September 2018 11:26 AM

Could well be piston failure,have you dropped the rest of the oil and checked for bits of metal?

si_pow 16 September 2018 11:28 AM

No i was that pissed off i parked it up in the garage and havent been in to check on it since.

assuming it is piston failure what sort of money am i looking to rebuild?

is it worth anything to sell up and move on?

ossett2k2 16 September 2018 11:56 AM

You can buy a used long block from mattyb for around 1400
buy a brand new short block for around 1200
go forged from about 3/4k to 10k plus depending on parts used.
possibly rebuild yours cheaper but depends on state of the block.
just rough prices.

si_pow 16 September 2018 12:27 PM

Cheers for the info mate.

so really even if i want to sell it at the very least im gonna have to put a used long block in?

the shreksta 16 September 2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by si_pow (Post 12026998)
Cheers for the info mate.

so really even if i want to sell it at the very least im gonna have to put a used long block in?

yeah but you still need to find out why the original engine has failed. who mapped it?

ossett2k2 16 September 2018 12:29 PM

You could sell it as it is,couldn't tell you for how much tho,maybe 1k ish?

ossett2k2 16 September 2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12027000)
yeah but you still need to find out why the original engine has failed. who mapped it?

chocolate pistons?
Op you need to confirm engine failure imo before writing it off.

si_pow 16 September 2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12027000)

i was assuming piston failure due to known piston failure in these cars. Its on 80k so im guessing the extra boost from the vf48 killed it?
the turbo and everything was fitted by cams performance and the remap was done by the guy they use down the road. He came highly recommended so i doubt its an error on their part.

i did have a compression check done about 6 months before this happened as i wanted peace of mind and it all come back fine. No leakdown test was done though

si_pow 16 September 2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 12027002)
chocolate pistons?
Op you need to confirm engine failure imo before writing it off.

how should i confirm engine failure? I was hoping it was something little to do with the pcv system and the catch cans but i dont think thats the case mate. Wishful thinking on my part

pjarvis6666 17 September 2018 07:11 PM

so it blew up whilst cruising on the motorway at 50. Seems odd. Had it been running ok prior to this?

si_pow 17 September 2018 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by pjarvis6666 (Post 12027163)
so it blew up whilst cruising on the motorway at 50. Seems odd. Had it been running ok prior to this?

Car seemed to be running mechanically sound. I had a few pulls from 3rd to 4th in it after the remap and new turbo before we come home expecting to feel a difference but felt very little extra power if any. Drove home a bit disapointed

si_pow 17 September 2018 07:38 PM

Actually i do remember i thought it was overboosting. From 3rd gear it nearly went to 1.6bar and having it previously set at 1bar i thought it was too much? Thats why i was driving so careful on the way back as i wanted to ask the opinions of people on here