ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   engine knock (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1056102-engine-knock.html)

PugSandwich 12 September 2018 04:09 PM

engine knock

I have a 2003 blob wrx in the two years I have owned the car I have spent a lot of money on it. most recently was getting the head gasket done I brought all the parts took it to a garage had nothing but problems with them. I never used the car much but 6 months later on the first longish drive since having the head gasket done it cut out 2 mins from my house I had a look under the bonnet oil everywhere on the passenger side, nothing on the dip stick and I noticed one of the rocker bolts was sticking out so its been left in my garage while I wait for someone to come look at it. turns out there was 2 lose and so it lost it oil while I was driving and after tightening them and refilling with oil it has a knock and the garage are saying its not their fault and I cant afford to do an engine rebuild. so looks like I'm going to have to get rid of it which I really don't wanna do. I have a quote from webuyanycar but before I go down that route, is there someone on here that buys complete cars and brakes them. :cry:

the shreksta 12 September 2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by PugSandwich (Post 12026573)
I have a 2003 blob wrx in the two years I have owned the car I have spent a lot of money on it. most recently was getting the head gasket done I brought all the parts took it to a garage had nothing but problems with them. I never used the car much but 6 months later on the first longish drive since having the head gasket done it cut out 2 mins from my house I had a look under the bonnet oil everywhere on the passenger side, nothing on the dip stick and I noticed one of the rocker bolts was sticking out so its been left in my garage while I wait for someone to come look at it. turns out there was 2 lose and so it lost it oil while I was driving and after tightening them and refilling with oil it has a knock and the garage are saying its not their fault and I cant afford to do an engine rebuild. so looks like I'm going to have to get rid of it which I really don't wanna do. I have a quote from webuyanycar but before I go down that route, is there someone on here that buys complete cars and brakes them. :cry:

the problem you have there is that its only a wrx so it doesnt really have parts that people are after.

why not drop in an sti engine from mattyb on here who is about the best breaker there is. when my wrx engine failed i had an engine from him and it was 100% reliable.

Nick_Cat 12 September 2018 04:38 PM

Or, if money is an issue, a used WRX engine. Alan Jeffery, much respected, is in Devon,http://www.enginetuner.co.uk/about_us.htm, would be worth giving him a call to discuss options.
Would be a shame to get rid of it as you've spent a lot on it.

Steve Whitehorn 13 September 2018 03:23 PM

Trouble is you need to refresh the bottom end when you get the head gaskets replaced. Perhaps try Matty and see what he has engine wise. He does listen to them and check them carefully.

PugSandwich 17 September 2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat (Post 12026577)
Or, if money is an issue, a used WRX engine. Alan Jeffery, much respected, is in Devon,http://www.enginetuner.co.uk/about_us.htm, would be worth giving him a call to discuss options.
Would be a shame to get rid of it as you've spent a lot on it.

had to wait for Alan to be in, spoke to them this morning and they won’t do a second hand engine and they want £3500 to rebuild. Been told to take them to court but it’s expected to take 2 years what a crappy situation

markb_s1 17 September 2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by PugSandwich (Post 12027115)

had to wait for Alan to be in, spoke to them this morning and they won’t do a second hand engine and they want £3500 to rebuild. Been told to take them to court but it’s expected to take 2 years what a crappy situation

i'm assuming you haven't been told to take alan jeffrey to court?
what you wrote above could be read that way...

PugSandwich 17 September 2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by markb_s1 (Post 12027121)
i'm assuming you haven't been told to take alan jeffrey to court?
what you wrote above could be read that way...

no sorry, the garage that did the work not Alan Jeffery

ZANY 18 September 2018 05:12 AM

What colour is it?

how muc( did we buy any car offer? Any pics?

bugeyestuart 18 September 2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by PugSandwich (Post 12027115)

You may find that the real threat of court action and with evidence pointing against them they could offer to settle out of court. Be a shame to have to let your car go due to poor workmanship.

PugSandwich 18 September 2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 12027202)
What colour is it?

how muc( did we buy any car offer? Any pics?

it’s world rally blue, we buy any car offered 1429 with the engine knock

PugSandwich 18 September 2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bugeyestuart (Post 12027314)
You may find that the real threat of court action and with evidence pointing against them they could offer to settle out of court. Be a shame to have to let your car go due to poor workmanship.

going to try and get my insurance to recover my car and take it to Alan Jeffery so they can have a look. Would be nice but I don’t expect they will some right scumbags there.

matt-c 18 September 2018 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by PugSandwich (Post 12027331)

going to try and get my insurance to recover my car and take it to Alan Jeffery so they can have a look. Would be nice but I don’t expect they will some right scumbags there.

Painful, but if you love the car, bite the bullet and let Alan sort it for you.

TECHNOPUG 19 September 2018 10:02 AM

£3.5k is a lot if you haven't got it but you will end up with a better than brand new engine (presumably with a warranty). You'll end up getting a new turbo and all sorts of other performance parts and spend £5k :lol1:

If money is tight though, a used STi engine and find a decent Indy to fit shouldn't be less than £2k.

I think you'll struggle with going through small claims courts with a failure that happened 6 months after the garage worked on it TBH.