ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   mot decat issues (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1055993-mot-decat-issues.html)

scoobydooooo 06 September 2018 10:42 AM

mot decat issues

bought a 2004 STI in January , just took it for the MOT and failed on emissions , had it on the ramp and it was due to a decaf centre pipe , had to get a standard pipe fitted to pass , anyone else had this problem ??? apparently it due to new rules this year is that so ???

JDM_Stig 06 September 2018 10:55 AM

Always been the same, it is why I run a sports cat.

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 11:01 AM

Just find one of the rare friendly testers :)

jaygsi 06 September 2018 11:48 AM

Cars have never been allowed to run a decat. Most people swap at mot or run a sport cat.

Cambs_Stuart 06 September 2018 01:37 PM

Was it a full decat or just a centre section, leaving the down pipe cat in place?

BrownPantsRacing 06 September 2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo (Post 12025500)
bought a 2004 STI in January , just took it for the MOT and failed on emissions , had it on the ramp and it was due to a decaf centre pipe , had to get a standard pipe fitted to pass , anyone else had this problem ??? apparently it due to new rules this year is that so ???

Yep, those decaf downpipes can be a real bitch. Can be swapped over in a cuppa-la hours though. We've all bean there. :D

99greenwagon 06 September 2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12025537)
Yep, those decaf downpipes can be a real bitch. Can be swapped over in a cuppa-la hours though. We've all bean there. :D

two words...….heat seize

scoobydooooo 06 September 2018 03:54 PM

the thing was I didn't know it had been done , the dealer never mentioned it :) I think the previous owner must have put the decal on after the last MOT , , the reason I say that is it looks new compared to the rest fo the system , ah well live and learn :)

scoobydooooo 06 September 2018 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart (Post 12025536)
Was it a full decat or just a centre section, leaving the down pipe cat in place?

just the centre section :)

Ash Webster 06 September 2018 04:05 PM

friendly tester. no problem.

SAM-UK300 06 September 2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo (Post 12025556)

I was under the impression that so long as the downpipe cat was still in place you were ok?

The Trooper 1815 06 September 2018 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12025512)
Cars have never been allowed to run a decat. Most people swap at mot or run a sport cat.

Older cars do not have catalytic converters therefore do not need them to pass.

BrownPantsRacing 06 September 2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SAM-UK300 (Post 12025560)
I was under the impression that so long as the downpipe cat was still in place you were ok?

That's correct.

WRX (pre-hawkeye) has 3 cats, one in up-pipe, one in downpipe and one after downpipe. You can get rid of the up-pipe and second cat leaving the downpipe cat in place and it will still pass MOT.

STI's only have 2 cats as there is no cat in the up-pipe, you can remove the second cat and it will still pass MOT.

Or remove them all and fit a sports cat downpipe.

Or find a friendly MOT station.

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 04:28 PM

Not sure if there is any truth in this but i am gona put it out there,

When i owned my Glanza i was told that if i fitted it with a GT-Turbo pre 1992 engine it wouldn't need Cat as wasn't law back then,

Could you use this grey area to rebuild and fit and older EJ20 and get away with it ?

I was under the impression that if it is a legit engine swap DVLA notified then engine is tested to rules of its year and not the chassis its fitted to

Any MOT testers able to Debunk this with legit reasons, rules why ??

Vxr2010 06 September 2018 04:33 PM

My understanding was the centre pipe on an sti is just a silencer and not a cat , i have two fsti and it’s definitely just a silencer , the down pipe i think is the only cat , which can be changed to a sports cat and still pass an mot or is the impreza different ?

BrownPantsRacing 06 September 2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12025568)
Not sure if there is any truth in this but i am gona put it out there,

When i owned my Glanza i was told that if i fitted it with a GT-Turbo pre 1992 engine it wouldn't need Cat as wasn't law back then,

Could you use this grey area to rebuild and fit and older EJ20 and get away with it ?

I was under the impression that if it is a legit engine swap DVLA notified then engine is tested to rules of its year and not the chassis its fitted to

Any MOT testers able to Debunk this with legit reasons, rules why ??

No that's balls. Someone was pulling your plums there. It's on age of vehicle not age of engine.

BrownPantsRacing 06 September 2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12025571)
My understanding was the centre pipe on an sti is just a silencer and not a cat , i have two fsti and it’s definitely just a silencer , the down pipe i think is the only cat , which can be changed to a sports cat and still pass an mot or is the impreza different ?

newage impreza's had a downpipe in 2 sections with 2 cats before the centre section.

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12025573)
No that's balls. Someone was pulling your plums there. It's on age of vehicle not age of engine.

Handy to know,

Also glad i didnt go to all that hassle for nothing :)

Guess this has always been the case and nothing new :)

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12025573)

You sure about that ??

Attachment 72338

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 04:53 PM

From how i interpret those rules i can in a classic or early Bugeye :)

BrownPantsRacing 06 September 2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12025580)
You sure about that ??

Attachment 72338

Yep

https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing

I also own old cars and have tested many a vehicle that didn't need emissions testing, always by age of vehicle on the number plate. Never by engine age.

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12025584)
Yep

https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing

I also own old cars and have tested many a vehicle that didn't need emissions testing, always by age of vehicle on the number plate. Never by engine age.

Thats not really a reason tho.

the rules state that test to oldest engine/chassis if pre 2002

and i didnt say it would get no emmissions test.

it would be tested to the rules that were out when engine was new.

that snippet i took was from the rules so clearly must have been true at one point whether u personally did or did not ?

BrownPantsRacing 06 September 2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12025586)
Thats not really a reason tho.

the rules state that test to oldest engine/chassis if pre 2002

and i didnt say it would get no emmissions test.

it would be tested to the rules that were out when engine was new.

that snippet i took was from the rules so clearly must have been true at one point whether u personally did or did not ?

Any vehicle built after 1975 must be emissions tested, but is not required to have a cat fitted and will have to pass pre-cat levels. I have a 1963 beetle, so it doesn't get checked at all. :)

Any vehicle built after 1992 must have a catalytic converter present and CAT must be tested as part of the MOT test.

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12025589)
Any vehicle built after 1975 must be emissions tested, but is not required to have a cat fitted and will have to pass pre-cat levels. I have a 1963 beetle, so it doesn't get checked at all. :)

Any vehicle built after 1992 must have a catalytic converter present and CAT must be tested as part of the MOT test.

ok trying to keep this relevant to what i originally asked and u says was nonsense.

if i fit a 1992 engine to my pre 2002 car then it would be tested to 1992 rules ?

so what i says was correct.

before 2002 u test to whichever is older.

and therefore is this a loophole we couod use to rebuild older engines and pass emissions.

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 05:25 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...432b47311b.jpg
Rules may have changed since i looked but thot was 1994 for certain cars too

BrownPantsRacing 06 September 2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12025592)
ok trying to keep this relevant to what i originally asked and u says was nonsense.

if i fit a 1992 engine to my pre 2002 car then it would be tested to 1992 rules ?

so what i says was correct.

before 2002 u test to whichever is older.

and therefore is this a loophole we couod use to rebuild older engines and pass emissions.

LOL. No and still no. By changing the age of your engine it doesn't change the age of your entire vehicle???? It's done on vehicle age. It wouldn't matter if you put a steam engine in your 2002 impreza, it would still require a cat test.

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12025580)
You sure about that ??

Attachment 72338

What part of this is wrong then ?

SmurfyBhoy 06 September 2018 05:34 PM

I cant understand how u can say that when this is what it says.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...be0fea02bb.jpg

daz1968 06 September 2018 09:58 PM

Think you may have failed due to the rule that if a cat was present when the vehicle was new it needs to be in place, technically a ppp pack could fail if this rule is taken to the extreme, however a ppp centre decat still has the heat shields in place so looks like a standard section, hence most mot stations wouldn’t know anyway,
you could always fit cat shields to a decat pipe as per ppp then would probably be ok. And technically a sport cat could fail as it probably hasn’t got the correct eu type approval code on it. Most are sold as off road only.

Cambs_Stuart 06 September 2018 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo (Post 12025556)

As above, doesnt that mean every prodrive Impreza could fail for the same issue?