ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   New drivers... how worrying! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1055895-new-drivers-how-worrying.html)

RobsyUK 28 August 2018 03:21 PM

New drivers... how worrying!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9cef912d0.jpeg
I’m part of a certain type of car page on Facebook and can not believe this post.

how the hell are they passing their tests?
Tried to protect their identity.

markjmd 28 August 2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12024437)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9cef912d0.jpeg
I’m part of a certain type of car page on Facebook and can not believe this post.

how the hell are they passing their tests?
Tried to protect their identity.

Looking at the colour of that car, it's quite obvious its owner must be blind, so indeed, how the hell are they passing their tests?

silver-sub 28 August 2018 05:17 PM

Wtf??

jaygsi 28 August 2018 08:04 PM

Could be a joke can't imagine you'd be allowed to use park assist on a test.

Pross 28 August 2018 09:55 PM

I dont thnk they have to reverse park anymore, more of just a drive the b***** into a spot and thats it so probably never reversed ever.

MrRtm 28 August 2018 09:59 PM

Parking sensors are always on in modern cars are they not? Plus a lot of instructors put tape and dots etc.. at the reference points for maneuvers for the car they teach in which helps you pass your test, but not fully understand the reason why those points were used and so on. I doubt they were in a car with tesla style parking assist anyway lol

I can't deny, I have never so much as attempted to parallel park my scooby and I've had it almost 9 months lol, used to no issue in the golf but I've not yet had a need to in this, I really should attempt it just to know I'm still capable lol

Edit: to the above, they make you do one of three maneuvers turn in the road (used to be 3 point, now you can take 20 of you like) reverse round corner and parallel park

Pross 28 August 2018 10:41 PM

I thought reverse parking, reverse parallel park and reversing round a corner were all removed?

^Qwerty^ 29 August 2018 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by MrRtm (Post 12024530)
they make you do one of three maneuvers turn in the road (used to be 3 point, now you can take 20 of you like) reverse round corner and parallel park

When I did my 3-point turn in the road you were not allowed to touch the kerbs, is that still the case? I'm pretty sure my eldest said it didn't matter anymore.

dpb 29 August 2018 08:39 AM

Don't need to drive I guess when computer+ electrics going to do it for you

MrRtm 29 August 2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^ (Post 12024564)
When I did my 3-point turn in the road you were not allowed to touch the kerbs, is that still the case? I'm pretty sure my eldest said it didn't matter anymore.

Still the case, at least it was last year, I passed before it all changed so it may be different now

Jonnys3 29 August 2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 12024568)
Don't need to drive I guess when computer+ electrics going to do it for you

Exactly this !

My eldest daughter has just passed her driving test in a (BSM) Pug 309 which had all sorts of electronic assists that essentially drove the car for her. Having successfully passed her test a few weeks ago, she now has to learn to drive her Citreon C1 which is very basic to say the least, so it's literally back to learning the basics again. To be fair to the learners can't really be blamed for the level of technology which features in the cars they are learning to drive in these days, but yes, it does seem to impair them when it comes to having to drive their own cars, which no-doubt will not come with the all-singing-and-dancing assisted technology...

... and don't mention the cost of insurance for a new driver these days. That burned a deep hole in her pocket and was eye-watering !!!

Jonnys3 29 August 2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pross (Post 12024529)
I dont thnk they have to reverse park anymore, more of just a drive the b***** into a spot and thats it so probably never reversed ever.

They have to forward park in a bay - hit the curb and it's a major fault = fail !

RobsyUK 29 August 2018 06:49 PM

Absolutely mental. I think they should have to learn without any assist like I did 13yrs ago.

I'll park any how and having to go to customers with poor parking in that shunt that will happily edge forward and back 50 times to get out of a tight spot

urban 30 August 2018 07:38 AM

Bus drivers are more worrying, the majority of them are total arseholes form what I see on the roads

Jonnys3 30 August 2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12024664)
Absolutely mental. I think they should have to learn without any assist like I did 13yrs ago.

Totally agree. Especially as the average new driver will not be able to afford a new car with all the assists that they've become used to, and will more than likely be starting out on their own in an old(ish) basic 1.0 litre due to astronomical insurance costs.

After we'd sorted out some learner driver insurance so that my daughter could go out in my wife's 2003 mini, she really struggled as the mod-cons that she was used to in her instructor's car just weren't there. I spent hour after hour with her on the basics such as hill starts and clutch control until she was competent in the mini. It was a night and day experience for her, but it had to be done.

ALi-B 30 August 2018 01:27 PM

Everyone should learn to drive in a series 2 Land Rover.

No synchro on 1st and 2nd
No PAS
Slow steering
Drum brakes without servo assistance and start to fade after two hard stops.

On the plus side the clutch is so huge you can ride it all day long and it won't burn out! :lol1:

:thumb:

tarmac terror 30 August 2018 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=ALi-B;12024774]
Everyone should learn to drive in a series 2 Land Rover.

No synchro on 1st and 2nd
No PAS
Slow steering
Drum brakes without servo assistance and start to fade after two hard stops.

On the plus side the clutch is so huge you can ride it all day long and it won't burn out! :lol1:

:thumb:
[/QUOTE

Not forgetting the steering box and transmission brake :)

Dr Hu 31 August 2018 10:28 AM

I can confidently say without hesitation that my brothers old SII landrover was the worst vehicle I have ever driven - and I've driven a few!

Pross 31 August 2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 12024852)
I can confidently say without hesitation that my brothers old SII landrover was the worst vehicle I have ever driven - and I've driven a few!

You never owned a marina then

CrisPDuk 05 September 2018 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pross (Post 12024901)
You never owned a marina then

My mum had one, she hated it so much that when it came time to replace it, she bought an Ital, because they were different :rolleyes:

Beastie 07 September 2018 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 12024852)

Ah the memories of my series 3. Ideal for winter with its leaking doors and heater that blew a wisp of heat into the cabin. Demisting that usually happened by Summer time :D Wearing our coats inside to beat that winter chill. The 17mpg fuel consumption and my Subarus at 23, thats when I needed my own petrol station :D Back then it was the best 4x4 by far :rolleyes: but it could go anywhere thats for sure..:thumb: