ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   One night in an hotel in the UK: over £100? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1055827-one-night-in-an-hotel-in-the-uk-over-100-a.html)

alcazar 25 August 2018 09:24 PM

One night in an hotel in the UK: over £100?

WHY?
And that's with no breakfast.

Whereas in France I can find both for around €60

JDM_Stig 25 August 2018 09:25 PM

Cool story Bro . . . . .

dpb 25 August 2018 09:38 PM

Higher price accomodation generally here

Also , continental breakfast doesnt involve staff

2pot 25 August 2018 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12024018)
Cool story Bro . . . . .

:lol1:

ALi-B 25 August 2018 09:53 PM

Trivago?

Anyhoo, bank holiday at peak season what did you expect?

Wait 'til you find out what they charge to park the f**king car, or bring a dog!

silver-sub 25 August 2018 10:44 PM

LateRooms.com ?

alcazar 26 August 2018 10:28 AM

It's not for this weekend, it was for next.

dpb 26 August 2018 10:49 AM

Where

ALi-B 26 August 2018 10:55 AM

Many people book weeks off as part of bank holiday weeks ( use up less holiday entitlement that way as some employers treat bank holidays separate to statutory holiday entitlement).

Combine that with everyone else on the same bandwagon = Supply and Demand.

Same goes for hotels near a Premiership football team that is playing on that weekend.

Premier Inns and Travel lodges blatantly do this...a £40 room suddenly becomes £150 without breakfast! As I found out when I was dragged to a wedding in Swansea on a bank holiday week. Most expensive ****ehole I ever stopped in. Considering I've stopped in 4/5 star luxury UK hotels for less than half that with breakfast

markjmd 26 August 2018 12:09 PM

This is nothing new, and I can't see it ever changing. Might be worth giving AirBnB a try, although options might be limited if wheelchair access is needed.

hedgecutter 26 August 2018 05:23 PM

Bed and breakfast is always better value; cheaper, proper breakfast and cleaner, if you pick well.

alcazar 26 August 2018 06:41 PM

It was going to be near telford, for the exhibition centre.

Not happening now.

dpb 26 August 2018 07:03 PM

https://www.trivago.co.uk/?aDateRang...Sitemap=false&

stevebt 26 August 2018 07:34 PM

What’s wrong with paying £100 a night. Most good hotels are over that and if it’s in an excellent location then £100 is cheap.

sparrowdclxvi 26 August 2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 12024065)
Might be worth giving AirBnB a try

Just don't. We booked a weekend in London a couple of months ahead of time, along with other paid for outings, so we couldn't just cancel.
Fekkers cancelled the minimum 7 days before, leaving us with nowhere to stay.

A friend had the same, they lost their entire summer holiday when their host cancelled at the last possible minute.

Not worth the aggro.

hedgecutter 26 August 2018 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12024114)
It was going to be near telford, for the exhibition centre.

Not happening now.

we stayed at the Exhibition center hotel, it was ****e! There is nothing there except the shopping center nearby. One of the most soulless nights of my life.( I'd confused the engineer Telford with the new town)
Lucky escape, saved dosh back in pocket.

johnlogie 26 August 2018 08:51 PM

Don’t see the problem with over £100 a night. What do you expect. Think about what the owner pays for the property in rent, taxes etc, staff wages and everything else on top. Unless you want to stay in an absolute hole of a place I would say that was reasonable

ALi-B 26 August 2018 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12024134)
we stayed at the Exhibition center hotel, it was ****e! There is nothing there except the shopping center nearby. One of the most soulless nights of my life.( I'd confused the engineer Telford with the new town)
Lucky escape, saved dosh back in pocket.

Yeah the place is a pretty anonymous hole, was a social housing dumping ground when it was first constructed to offload from Birmingham and Wolverhampton conurbations, hence the issues with drugs and child sex gangs. You don't really want to go out your way to stop or dine there unless you had no choice. I'd rather pay the £80 taxi fare back home LOL.

Best bet round there is somewhere outside of the town in one of the many surrounding villages. Converted pubs and manor houses are a plenty.

ALi-B 26 August 2018 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by johnlogie (Post 12024135)
Don’t see the problem with over £100 a night. What do you expect. Think about what the owner pays for the property in rent, taxes etc, staff wages and everything else on top. Unless you want to stay in an absolute hole of a place I would say that was reasonable

You can get 4star accommodation for as little as £60 if you pick the dates right. Last deal I had was Ashford international in Kent, which I stopped over at to catch a early crossing over to Calais. You can double that to stop there now.

alcazar 27 August 2018 09:16 AM

All those doing the usual "acceptance" thing, "What's wrong with £100 per night?", are just avoiding two points:

WHY can I get the same WITH BREAKFAST for €60 per night in France, which is more expensive than the UK, and,
WHY are you accepting high prices instead of complaining? YOU are part of the problem!

Typical UK: and then we wonder why so many folk in this country RIP US OFF.

dpb 27 August 2018 09:35 AM

Bloody hell - Just ignore all the posters lol

Heres another one .

The pound is weak , because of you know what

So hotels are cashing in on passing foreigners

BMWhere? 27 August 2018 09:37 AM

Its probably because of some EU regulation than only affects the UK! Everything will be better when we leave the EU next year :thumb:

markjmd 27 August 2018 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12024169)
All those doing the usual "acceptance" thing, "What's wrong with £100 per night?", are just avoiding two points:

WHY can I get the same WITH BREAKFAST for €60 per night in France, which is more expensive than the UK, and,
WHY are you accepting high prices instead of complaining? YOU are part of the problem!

Typical UK: and then we wonder why so many folk in this country RIP US OFF.

Seriously, what planet are you on? Accomodation in France is generally far cheaper than in the UK, full stop. As a second-home owner over there it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume you'd be more than averagely aware of the fact!

BMWhere? 27 August 2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 12024174)
Seriously, what planet are you on? Accomodation in France is generally far cheaper than in the UK, full stop. As a second-home owner over there it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume you'd be more than averagely aware of the fact!

That has little to do with it. House prices in Germany are way more expensive than the UK, as are wage costs, but you can still easily find a hotel in Germany for €60 a night with breakfast, never mind £60. The difference in the UK is (other than in a handful of seaside resorts or London) there are very few independently run hotels around, the hotel market is overrun with hotel chains such as Premiere Inn who control the market and inflate prices - its very typical of corporate Britain where the tax system favours larger corporations over small independent businesses. In most of Europe, there are many more independent hotels with no shareholders to pay dividends to, so they can operate at much lower costs. The tax systems often encourage small businesses over corporations, so small hoteliers can easily survive with low prices.

markjmd 27 August 2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by BMWhere? (Post 12024177)
That has little to do with it. House prices in Germany are way more expensive than the UK, as are wage costs, but you can still easily find a hotel in Germany for €60 a night with breakfast, never mind £60. The difference in the UK is (other than in a handful of seaside resorts or London) there are very few independently run hotels around, the hotel market is overrun with hotel chains such as Premiere Inn who control the market and inflate prices - its very typical of corporate Britain where the tax system favours larger corporations over small independent businesses. In most of Europe, there are many more independent hotels with no shareholders to pay dividends to, so they can operate at much lower costs. The tax systems often encourage small businesses over corporations, so small hoteliers can easily survive with low prices.

I can only assume this is heavily dependent on which part of Germany you're talking about, and which part of the UK. Otherwise I would beg to differ very much, and I base that not only on my own knowledge of the housing markets in both places, but also on the endless whinging I was subjected to from several expat Germans in the office, who were appalled at how much less house they could buy for the money here in SE England than they could back home.

With regards to hotels, even if you were right about the relative lack of independents here in the UK, it stands to reason that the over-inflated price of property here must play a major part in this too.

dpb 27 August 2018 11:18 AM

Well i heard the tax system / social contributions in france were pretty punitive , once a business employs more than couple people
An eating place we stopped at on canal lateral de loire would only take cash or CHEQUE ! ...... , local shop ( only one ) was actually closed for 2 weeks on hols , no fill in staff . Post office similar

DO as we say not do as we do .

got love em

dpb 27 August 2018 11:26 AM

Logis seems to have cleaned up since we were in France last time , buying up various places

Ill bet theyre owned by shareholders

dpb 27 August 2018 11:34 AM

Also read article in which town councils were up in arms at the proliferation airbnb

since it took business away from local ( probably 1/2 shareholder owned ) hoteliers

BMWhere? 27 August 2018 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 12024179)
I can only assume this is heavily dependent on which part of Germany you're talking about, and which part of the UK. Otherwise I would beg to differ very much, and I base that not only on my own knowledge of the housing markets in both places, but also on the endless whinging I was subjected to from several expat Germans in the office, who were appalled at how much less house they could buy for the money here in SE England than they could back home.

With regards to hotels, even if you were right about the relative lack of independents here in the UK, it stands to reason that the over-inflated price of property here must play a major part in this too.

Well, I live in one of the most expensive areas in Germany, both property and wages wise, yet there is still an abundance of independent hotels with <=€60 night, including breakfast, free parking and free wlan! The property value only has an impact if there is outstanding debt on the property. Many hotels have been hotels for generations and there is no outstanding debt, so the property value is often irrelevant.

SouthWalesSam 27 August 2018 12:30 PM

It's supply and demand factored up to whatever the local market will bear.
On some Central London hotels the net profit margins (rental income minus costs) are running at around 40%.