ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   RTS Clutches (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1055671-rts-clutches.html)

David__H 13 August 2018 10:45 PM

RTS Clutches

I'm considering getting a Stage 2 Competition Clutch but Len at Subaru4you is recommending an RTS clutch:

https://scoobyworx.com/rts-performan...-2-16817-p.asp

Similar price to the Stage 2 CC. Anyone have any experience of the RTS clutch?

JDM_Stig 14 August 2018 09:00 AM

How much cheaper than Excedy are they . . You know they work.

SmurfyBhoy 14 August 2018 10:44 AM

I read RTS use china bearings,

Not sure about CC, sure they are decent Koyo ones

David__H 14 August 2018 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12022390)
How much cheaper than Excedy are they . . You know they work.

About 70 quid less than an Exedy clutch, so not much difference.

scoobypaul_temp 14 August 2018 06:09 PM

I am running a CC Stage 2, can’t fault it at all

bustaMOVEs 14 August 2018 06:35 PM

Rts is being offered at many places by suppliers at a great price so they can make a decent mark up, they are getting everywhere ATM, but a new kid on the block I'm wary of....

David__H 14 August 2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 12022484)
Rts is being offered at many places by suppliers at a great price so they can make a decent mark up, they are getting everywhere ATM, but a new kid on the block I'm wary of....

Yeah, that's exactly my view with them. Whereas Competition Clutches seem to be the weapon of choice at the moment, so they're the safe bet.

SmurfyBhoy 15 August 2018 08:47 AM

Pretty sure the bearings in the RTS ones are Chinese and of inferior quality.

Linksfahrer 15 August 2018 10:21 AM

Who can you really trust ?

1 Attachment(s)
So which bearing is actually in the RTS clutch ?

I have good experience with Japanese suppliers NTN, IKO , NTS ,
and equally SKF and Schaffeler in EU , but all of them are subject to cost barrier production of the housings , so although the bearings themselves may be of excellent quality typically the housing / carriages are stamped out in China ,SW Aisia, India. Id probably avoid SKF from personal experience in machine construction and only while they themselves have been ripped off often enough.
But I am biased by having worked 3 years in Shenzen and in Automotiv components as a quality engineer and hate poor quality and lack of professional 8d quality reporting, which adds up In these days of global supply , with even the Japanese ( NTS) producing bearings in India, Id be hard pressed to slate off any particular Product bearing assembly or a manufacturer assembler,
untill we hear on here of exploding or noisy bearings.

Fact is you cannot rely on any name these days only our experience on here,
If you think I am kidding take a look at this.

Nick_Cat 15 August 2018 05:38 PM

Len fitted an uprated RTS clutch in my classic with a lightened flywheel. This was 24 months/c.8k miles ago and so far so good. IIRC they're supposed to be anti-judder, which appears to be the case, even when cold.

David__H 15 August 2018 10:45 PM

Yes, I look towards the experience of others before buying anything these days. The web is useful for that, although you have to understand that the silent majority of people don't report their product is good, but the small percentage of people who've had problems will be vocal about it, so working purely off review comments can give a poor impresssion! Nevertheless, there's no smoke without fire.

It may well be that the RTS clutches are indeed good, maybe very good, but there just isn't enough evidence of that at the moment, perhaps because they're relatively new. I'll bo ordering a CC clutch tomorrow and will sleep easy on that decision.

iain710 19 February 2019 05:38 PM

Sorry for dragging up the past but has anyone got any feed back on rts clutches...
im contemplating a change as my clutch is (A) on 150,000 miles but not slipping
and
(B) it 20 years old....

cheers

David__H 19 February 2019 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by iain710 (Post 12045288)
Sorry for dragging up the past but has anyone got any feed back on rts clutches...
im contemplating a change as my clutch is (A) on 150,000 miles but not slipping
and
(B) it 20 years old....

cheers

Can't comment on the RTS clutch, but the Competition Clutch I had installed is good for 450 bhp but more importantly, turned my car from a pain in the arse in traffic, to a comfortable daily driver. One of the best changes I ever made. Couldn't recommend one enough, for road use.

Nick_Cat 19 February 2019 08:49 PM

My RTS clutch and flywheel combo is still fine, done about 10k miles since fitted.

scooby kid 19 February 2019 09:04 PM

I have the rts Heavy duty version , nice pedal feel , 5.5kg lightweight flywheel , I have found its little chattery if just using the clutch only to pull forward , i.e. Moving the car foot or so. But I do also have lightweight pulley so could just be it needs a rev lol
I used oem bearing in the flywheel .

iain710 20 February 2019 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info....

RobsyUK 20 February 2019 04:50 PM

Link to the competition clutch.
I have a standard hawk with no intentions of upgrading but when it comes to new clutch id like to change for a lightened flywheel and a clutch that’s good for everyday town and the odd twistie.

iain710 28 February 2019 07:12 PM

Right....bit the bullet,bought anRTS clutch kit(clutch and flywheel),fitted today...
first impreesions...good,nice light pedal,no judder at all..
probably need to bleed it as the biting point is quite low.
see how it goes I suppose...