ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   'ELP! Strange grating noise from front OS (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1055535-elp-strange-grating-noise-from-front-os.html)

Doc T 03 August 2018 07:29 PM

'ELP! Strange grating noise from front OS

Evenin'.

Off with family on longish drive/holiday tomorrow - and, guess what? Scoob has started to make a strange noise.

Front OS wheel: sound is a grating noise. Only really happens at lower speeds - say 2nd gear. Only when turning left, with weight going onto front right wheel. I have washed wheels and jet washed them. Nothing stuck. Noise disappeared when my mechanic jumped in the car for a drive around earlier. It's muted after the jet wash - but I still heard it.

Anyway. 2006 STi. BC Coilovers and Brembos - but nothing new on the wheels since I bought her in May.

I have had the PSI upped recently - car was tuned/e-throttle adjusted/idle speed increased. Any clues? Don't think it's CV or binding pads etc.

Thanks all.

Doc T

1509joe 03 August 2018 08:08 PM

Softer than usual brake pedal on first push if so check your wheel bearings push the pads back in first.

Doc T 03 August 2018 08:23 PM

Actually - totally forgot to say that previous owner bodged the brakes. The pads are the wrong size for the callipers, and he hacked the edges off them to make them fit. Sorry - should really have mentioned that! My mechanic says the brakes are fine, but the sound the pads make is awful: clanging when I press brake pedal etc.

This noise is different though, and it's only under a bit of load when turning left.

Thanks for your thoughts!

1509joe 03 August 2018 10:13 PM

Nothing to do with brakes just push pistons in and put wheel back on with a couple of nuts then check for play in the wheel bearing.

Kev_STI 05 August 2018 11:47 AM

I had a squealing/grating noise on my classic at low speed and small steering angle, ended up being drive flange wear so replaced with a new flange unit/wheel bearing. Initially I thought CV joint but it wasn't the case.

Vxr2010 05 August 2018 01:07 PM

sounds like part of the pad catching on a different area of the disc as the pads worn , as you are turning brakes are coming on slightly which is normal as break lines are moving around plus angle of wheel

Doc T 10 August 2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12021250)
sounds like part of the pad catching on a different area of the disc as the pads worn , as you are turning brakes are coming on slightly which is normal as break lines are moving around plus angle of wheel

Thanks!

The darn noise has gone away...for now... :cool:

Vxr2010 10 August 2018 05:46 PM

sounding more likely that pad disc was issue and they have now bedded in better

Doc T 10 August 2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12021968)
sounding more likely that pad disc was issue and they have now bedded in better

Seems so. New pads next month - to be on the safe side. Cheers!

Vxr2010 12 August 2018 05:53 PM

if pads are working and not worn i would not bother , if you do have to change them then pagid pads from Eurocarpats are around 40 £ they grip a lot better than my red ebc i had and much cheaper