ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Ecutek low boost setting advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1055532-ecutek-low-boost-setting-advice.html)

yabbadoo4 03 August 2018 06:41 PM

Ecutek low boost setting advice

hi lads, im just after some advice regarding the low boost setting and using lower grade fuel. first off the car is a bug sti remapped by the man himself andy f. was mapped with the usual high/low boost switchable using the rear demist switch. now andy said in low boost you can use lower grade fuel ie normal unleaded as the low boost setting is mapped with different timing etc. ive set it in low boost only a few times when the car was ever in getting work done (to stop any joyriding mechanic having too much fun with my car) but have never put anything in other than v power or tesco momentum. reason i ask is im off for a few days round the highlands with the family and id like to maximise my options of petrol stations i can use. so questions are: anything special i need to do when re-setting back to high boost? i assume i have to run the tank right down and get in some v power and maybe wait a day or 2 to run it through before setting back to high boost? any other pertinent info is welcome chaps, cheers.

SmurfyBhoy 03 August 2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 12021101)
hi lads, im just after some advice regarding the low boost setting and using lower grade fuel. first off the car is a bug sti remapped by the man himself andy f. was mapped with the usual high/low boost switchable using the rear demist switch. now andy said in low boost you can use lower grade fuel ie normal unleaded as the low boost setting is mapped with different timing etc. ive set it in low boost only a few times when the car was ever in getting work done (to stop any joyriding mechanic having too much fun with my car) but have never put anything in other than v power or tesco momentum. reason i ask is im off for a few days round the highlands with the family and id like to maximise my options of petrol stations i can use. so questions are: anything special i need to do when re-setting back to high boost? i assume i have to run the tank right down and get in some v power and maybe wait a day or 2 to run it through before setting back to high boost? any other pertinent info is welcome chaps, cheers.

I thot ecutek on those cars just had different solenoid duty

only one ignition map

perhaps the fact its low boost is the reason cheaper fuel is safe.

I would run it as low as possible then refill with vpower drive a couple of miles to use up whats in the pipes and go for it

yabbadoo4 03 August 2018 08:13 PM

according to andy he maps low boost with different timing etc. might try and hit him up on facefook and see if he replys. cheers for answering chris.

yabbadoo4 03 August 2018 08:51 PM

anybody else know about this? chime in if you do! cheers!

SmurfyBhoy 04 August 2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 12021114)
according to andy he maps low boost with different timing etc. might try and hit him up on facefook and see if he replys. cheers for answering chris.

if this were possible i wouldnt need to reflash for when i switch from v-power to my ethanol mix i could just have low boost tuned for vpower.

He does my maps too.

carberry rom is much better in this aspect (twin maps etc.) but he doesnt do them.

i think the later Ecutek racerom on the DBW cars have lots more capabilities.

yabbadoo4 04 August 2018 07:29 PM

yeah he did say it wasnt a separate map but the timing etc is dialed back on low boost which allows you to safely use lower octane fuel, im sure that was the gist of what he said.

SmurfyBhoy 04 August 2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 12021188)
yeah he did say it wasnt a separate map but the timing etc is dialed back on low boost which allows you to safely use lower octane fuel, im sure that was the gist of what he said.

i get what your saying but i can only guess its been a misunderstanding.

Ecutek on the uk 16bit ecu doesnt have 2 ignition maps.

im pretty sure the only thing that changes is the boost solenoid is off and u get wastegate pressure for low boost map.

It may well be that on low boost your safe from det on 95 even though ignition timing is still the same.

yabbadoo4 04 August 2018 08:05 PM

yeah that sounds about right. tried messaging him on facebook but no reply unfortunately.

yabbadoo4 05 August 2018 10:04 AM

anyone any more info on this? leaving today and mr forrest hasnt answered! bludgod where you at?? lol.

LewisScoob 06 August 2018 03:42 PM

I've asked Andy about that in the past and was told it wasn't possible to run different fuels via the demist. Only different boost.

yabbadoo4 06 August 2018 07:31 PM

yeah lewis its not a different fuel map i think andy meant as your running low boost you can run unleaded as theres less chance of det at minimum boost.

yabbadoo4 08 August 2018 08:19 PM

just a FYI on this. andy got back in touch on facefook and confirmed you can run unleaded on low boost but to make sure you run through the good stuff again before switching back to high boost. handy to know for anyone running Ecutek.

peter zippy reid 08 August 2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 12021673)
just a FYI on this. andy got back in touch on facefook and confirmed you can run unleaded on low boost but to make sure you run through the good stuff again before switching back to high boost. handy to know for anyone running Ecutek.

Good to know he replied to me today as well about mapping he was on holiday

yabbadoo4 08 August 2018 10:42 PM

cheers peter that explains the delay on getting an answer! he must get inundated with txts and messages im guessing.

hedgecutter 09 August 2018 09:51 AM

I've never had a reply from him, via email or Facebook. I may try this autumn again

SmurfyBhoy 09 August 2018 10:43 AM

I got a date with the man 2moro :)

yabbadoo4 09 August 2018 10:54 AM

i was meant to get my map checked over before i headed off to the highlands for a few days but didnt get a chance so hoping to get a date in a few weeks

peter zippy reid 09 August 2018 11:45 AM

He doesn't have as long a waiting list now that he's no longer mapping classics

The Rig 09 August 2018 02:31 PM

Never really seen the point in low / high boost settings

To be fair if you dont get onto full boost or even use boost with poor fuel even if your WGDC is set for max boost and timing is aggressive its the same thing really.

Your right foot is the best Turbo control button

Different fuel maps yes, boost settings, meh

yabbadoo4 10 August 2018 01:23 AM

i guess low boost saves you from yourself if you forget whilst overtaking or putting the foot down.

bludgod 10 August 2018 04:01 PM

whilst you only get 1 ignition table and 1 fuel table, the difference in load between low and high boost means you hit different areas of those single timing/fuel tables - so would be impossible to have the middle portion of the maps at lower timing/afr settings to suit 95 but when you reach the higher/right-most points on the table your at timing advance/fuel settings better suited to proper fuel.

yabbadoo4 10 August 2018 11:05 PM

so low boost keeps you out of the areas of the map that were mapped with more timing etc to account for v-power or better fuel basically ?

bludgod 13 August 2018 09:15 AM

yup that's it, not an entirely elegant solution but certainly clever and it can do the job