ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Problems with remap (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1055295-problems-with-remap.html)

welder029 17 July 2018 10:36 PM

Problems with remap

Hi all not been on here in a long time , well been restoring my bugeye its been in the garage for to long but when last on the road took it for a remap as it wasn't making the power it should , the mapper said he couldn't get enough air to flow through the engine ? Asked if somebody had maybe sold me a dodge panel filter and had painted it to make it look new ! Which I replied no its a brand new blue cosworth filter bought from reputable shop, then said well maybe abits broke off your up pipe ? Then sent me on my way ! Was abit disappointed to say the least as he has a good reputation for mapping ,any ideas ? Car would only make 313 bhp cheers in advance

RAGGY DOO 17 July 2018 11:54 PM

Who mapped it buddy

welder029 18 July 2018 12:42 AM

Dont wanna name names on here just wondering if anybody has any ideas what's up , was also told he had turned the boost up to get to 313 bhp and that when a got the car sorted said it would over boost, basically said am a mapper a don't fix cars so don't know

JDM_Stig 18 July 2018 12:56 AM

If he is reputable he should be able to offer better advice, after mapping hundreds of cars you tend to pick up on issues, or later find out from customers what their issue really was, it can be loads of issues, some only show when you start to up the boost, weakest link and all that,
A list of your mods would help, you have only listed the panel filter.

welder029 18 July 2018 01:01 AM

Put it this way he's one if the top in the country but really wasn't interested after the Map was done , standard 2.0 sti v7 , blitz nur spec exhaust , decat ,headers, downpipe, hks bov, was expecting ,340bhp only to be told a cant get enough air to flow through engine

SmurfyBhoy 18 July 2018 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by welder029 (Post 12018880)
Put it this way he's one if the top in the country but really wasn't interested after the Map was done , standard 2.0 sti v7 , blitz nur spec exhaust , decat ,headers, downpipe, hks bov, was expecting ,340bhp only to be told a cant get enough air to flow through engine

so who was it

welder029 18 July 2018 01:16 AM

Am n gonna name the guy was a few years ago but basically left me abit gob smacked as never ever heard a bad word said about the guy ,though he would a said iv seen this before its the such and such but just sent me on my way ,even tho the guy builds his own race cars so is abit more than just a mapper ,maybe a just got um on a bad day, apart from looking down the up pipe n headers for something broke off plus check the turbo av not got a clue what else it could be

RAGGY DOO 18 July 2018 07:17 AM

Mappers are treated like some god like figures on these forums
If joe blogs down the road done a poor job on your car would you not name him either?
What’s the big deal on who it was

banny sti 18 July 2018 07:34 AM

Sounds like Andy Forrest

welder029 18 July 2018 09:19 AM

A just don't wanna name n shame people on here its not my thing, but your correct in that I thought I was going to some mapping god only to be left disappointed :( ano the guy was only mapping the car but thought he would a been more help ,now its a case a pulling everything apart looking for a pipe that's blocking the engine from pushing the air thro ,also when showing me the map I noticed a flat spot now I know nothing about mapping only to be told ooo that's your neutral position switch needs replacing if a hadn't pointed it out ad not been aware of that

welder029 18 July 2018 09:27 AM

Anyway threads starting to go the wrong direction , am looking for advice on what could be the cause ? Really not interested in naming names that's not gonna fix my car lol hope you guys understand

imprezagaz 18 July 2018 09:30 AM

Not sure on the v7 sti but does it come with tgv's or are they deletes as standard? Also I didn't think the sti up pipe had a cat in it

welder029 18 July 2018 09:35 AM

Not sure , its got an RCM ceramic coated decat ,downpipe , headers etc had a cat at 1 time its a type uk

bludgod 18 July 2018 09:57 AM

you can get the exhaust and intake system pressure and smoke tested, that will give you a good idea if there is a boost or exhaust leak somewhere, either of which could prevent you from consuming the necessary amount of air required to reach your target HP. 3port solenoid probably wouldn't go amiss either.

If it's not leaking anywhere then it could be low compression, turbo on the way out, avcs not working, spark plugs need replacing etc.

welder029 18 July 2018 10:01 AM

3 port was fitted at time of mapping , think that's why av put it off for so long knew its gonna be a headache trying to get to the bottom of it

peter zippy reid 18 July 2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 12018891)
Sounds like Andy Forrest

I would guess Andy as well but not like him he usually says check xyz

hedgecutter 18 July 2018 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid (Post 12018913)
I would guess Andy as well but not like him he usually says check xyz

I can't think of a mapper who doesn't have their own built "race car"

hedgecutter 18 July 2018 10:46 AM

OP is based in Scotland though.

SmurfyBhoy 18 July 2018 11:00 AM

What kind of headers ?

welder029 18 July 2018 01:10 PM

Don't know I got the car years ago from an owner in Leeds or York can't remember he had the car mapped at scoobyclinic where it made 340bhp, only thing a did was fit a blitz nur spec exhaust ,wasn't till it went on a rolling road the power was way down garage tried to tell me it wasnt a mapped ecu, then when a did take it to a mapper he hooked the laptop up and told me that it was the original ecu with the scobbyclinic map on it , instead of getting me to fix the car he just tweaked the map to 313 bhp then sent me on my way

welder029 18 July 2018 01:13 PM

Only thing a do remember was hearing a sight high pitched whistle noise on the motorway when on boost apart from that car ran OK

JDM_Stig 18 July 2018 01:20 PM

Also worth checking it hasnt got a cheap silicone intake pipe, these can be sucked closed if they are weak and crap.

welder029 18 July 2018 01:33 PM

Na mate not got a silicone pipe , a thought somebody mite of had similar issues but to be honest think mines is a strange 1

SmurfyBhoy 18 July 2018 01:38 PM

Is this an actual dyno or laptop software,

Get it on a proper dyno with a boost and fueling graph you will at least have a starting point,

Go from there.

welder029 18 July 2018 02:14 PM

OK will do

JDM_Stig 18 July 2018 02:35 PM

If the mapper really thought it was just a panel filter, I know I would have just took it out and tested that theory.

hamzi95 18 July 2018 03:51 PM

May be a long shot, but maybe you can upload a log of somesort and we as a forum can take a look.

do you achieve target boost? when do you acheive target boost?

peter zippy reid 18 July 2018 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by welder029 (Post 12018949)
Only thing a do remember was hearing a sight high pitched whistle noise on the motorway when on boost apart from that car ran OK

Air leak maybe

1509joe 18 July 2018 05:36 PM

Up pipe gasket.

peter zippy reid 18 July 2018 06:15 PM

My whistle was recirc valve gasket