ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fekking Ryanair (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1055127-fekking-ryanair.html)

alcazar 08 July 2018 11:15 AM

Fekking Ryanair

As some on here will know, my wife was struck with a rare illness on 20/06 this year, which means she is now paralysed from the waist down and cannot control either her bladder or bowels:)

She had a flight booked with Ryanair on 21 July, booked well in advance of the illness.

We have applied for a refund, including a medical certificate, using this article in their terms and conditions:

"In the event of the serious illness of a passenger making it impossible to travel (or death), the reservations of the affected passenger and of persons travelling on the same booking reference may, at our discretion, be refunded or, as appropriate, modified by our waiving any restriction or fee on changing flights upon suitable documentary evidence produced to us in advance of the date of travel."

Today we got a reply denying us a refund. We have responded with a letter from the hospital stating that she cannot now walk at all, and asking what WOULD qualify for a refund if this does not.

Awaiting developments.

Tidgy 08 July 2018 12:09 PM

go to the daily mail, they will lap it up

ALi-B 08 July 2018 01:04 PM

Ahem "at our discretion".

Nice generic get-out clause there, not sure if that falls foul of any Consumer rules.

Booked by credit card? Maybe they can deal with it?

ALi-B 08 July 2018 01:42 PM

As an aside, I'm guessing she's been discharged and therefore wheelchair bound.

A jobsworth would consider that as fit to fly. As they do accept disabled travellers so long as you give them prior notice.

It's stuff like this that makes me miss Monarch: I cancelled bookings, moved flights etc no problems, even avoided admin fees due to being a frequent flyer.

I also miss the A321 airbuses...All the remaining operators use 737-800s which are so bloody noisy and narrow, with nowhere to put my one foot due to the support leg of the seat in front being in the way meaning I sit with my hips angled which guarantees my back is fooked for rest of the day.

I feel like nothing has changed since the days of Orion airways, well, except the old pressurisation systems used to perforate my ear drums when descending (a issue old 737s had...bigger planes like 747s and DC10s etc were fine).

RobsyUK 08 July 2018 02:39 PM

Did you take out travel insurance?
youncouldncall the jvs show on bbc three counties radio.
he does a consumer hour and is very fair. He would call them and help you out.

legb4rsk 08 July 2018 04:45 PM

Sounds like standard 'customer service' practice in todays world.First response:Tell everyone to f&*k off.After all they already have your money.

It's a miracle my TV has survived when you hear all the bulls*&t ads from companies about how warm & fluffy they are,how they love their customers,how your soooooo important to them,how they only have your best interests at heart.

Hope it all works out for you.

alcazar 09 July 2018 01:45 PM

Not discharged and not likely to be for the foreseeable future, sadly. Being referred to the spinal unit at Pinderfields near Wakefield:(

We've written back, so will await their response to that, then look at involving others.

BMWhere? 09 July 2018 03:03 PM

Very bad service from Ryanair! But they're not exactly known for their great customer service :rolleyes: In general, complaining to airlines on their social media channels generally gets the best result as negative publicity on social media is far reaching!

Hope you get your refund and your mrs is OK!

Wurzel 09 July 2018 04:01 PM

Only flown Ryanair once and after queuing for half an hour at the check in desk at Manchester airport the grumpy cow said I had not checked in online, I said I didn't know I had to and am here now to check in, she sent me packing to another desk where I had to pay a 50 quid fine for not checking in online. I pointed out I had never been told I had to check in online so how was I supposed to know, her reply was if I had bought the ticket from Ryanairs website I would have been bombarded with email messages telling me check in online. I pointed out I was in a foreign country and had no access to email plus didn't know I had to check in online and she couldn't care less. The 50 quid fine was 3 times more than the cost of the flight to start with. Will never be using them again.

SWRTWannabe 09 July 2018 06:06 PM

There was so much truth in Come Fly With Me, the mockumentary that David Walliams and Matt Lucas did.

Wonder if Ryanair would stoop to asking you swipe your credit card to release the life jacket.

alcazar 09 July 2018 07:55 PM

Thing is, when it works, it works well. Without them, many folk with property abroad would be in a mess.

Just, on this occasion, I don't think whoever read her sick note really understood it.:(

mrtheedge2u2 10 July 2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12017481)
Thing is, when it works, it works well. Without them, many folk with property abroad would be in a mess.

(

What? You are saying people cannot afford non-budget airlines but can afford to buy a second house abroad?

sunny1989 10 July 2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12017299)
As an aside, I'm guessing she's been discharged and therefore wheelchair bound.

A jobsworth would consider that as fit to fly. As they do accept disabled travellers so long as you give them prior notice.

It's stuff like this that makes me miss Monarch: I cancelled bookings, moved flights etc no problems, even avoided admin fees due to being a frequent flyer.

I also miss the A321 airbuses...All the remaining operators use 737-800s which are so bloody noisy and narrow, with nowhere to put my one foot due to the support leg of the seat in front being in the way meaning I sit with my hips angled which guarantees my back is fooked for rest of the day.

I feel like nothing has changed since the days of Orion airways, well, except the old pressurisation systems used to perforate my ear drums when descending (a issue old 737s had...bigger planes like 747s and DC10s etc were fine).

We operate an airbus only fleet, nearly 280 of them.. The CFM powered buses are a bit noisy but the newer neo's are nice and quiet.

321 Neo's should be in service this year too, for the slot restricted airports.

Oh and I too hate Ryanair from an employment perspective.

alcazar 10 July 2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 12017540)
What? You are saying people cannot afford non-budget airlines but can afford to buy a second house abroad?

And why would that shock you?
Many who buy abroad sink their savings/pension lump sum into the property.

Full price air travel to and from would then be punitive.
Just because people own property abroad doesn't make them rich, or wealthy. Just that they have chosen to spend their savings etc that way. None of them that I know run huge expensive cars, go on expensive foreign holidays etc either.

And in our case, living all our lives in Dumpsville has allowed us to have a decent house in the UK at a sensible price.

mrtheedge2u2 10 July 2018 10:59 AM

I have never in my life heard anyone say "we can only afford budget airline travel but I am gonna buy a house abroad"

ALi-B 10 July 2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by sunny1989 (Post 12017546)
We operate an airbus only fleet, nearly 280 of them.. The CFM powered buses are a bit noisy but the newer neo's are nice and quiet.

321 Neo's should be in service this year too, for the slot restricted airports.

Oh and I too hate Ryanair from an employment perspective.

Don't fly out of BHX by any chance? My current budget choice is Ryan and Jet2, Jet2 is more pleasant, but the constant advert jingles in-flight make me want to put a bullet in Jess Glynne's forehead! :o :lol1:

The engine noise never really bothered me, those older A321s do make quite a racket on take off but generally settled down during cruise. I was always under the impression it was due to the tips of the front fan going supersonic whilst the airflow through them is at an angle during climbing (could be totally wrong on that btw). main noise issues with 737s is the HVAC and the general cabin noise when up to cruise speed. It gave me the impression the A321 either has better noise dampening in the cabin or its design created less wind noise. I almost alway sit near the front, rows 2 to 10, in those seating positions it's definitely a quieter flight on the '321.

I really should get noise cancelling headphones, but not until I have a phone that supports aptX and I don't like using bulky 'phones for travelling...rather use a good set of buds that seal well.

Mr Fuji 10 July 2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12017284)
As some on here will know, my wife was struck with a rare illness on 20/06 this year, which means she is now paralysed from the waist down and cannot control either her bladder or bowels:)

She had a flight booked with Ryanair on 21 July, booked well in advance of the illness.

We have applied for a refund, including a medical certificate, using this article in their terms and conditions:

"In the event of the serious illness of a passenger making it impossible to travel (or death), the reservations of the affected passenger and of persons travelling on the same booking reference may, at our discretion, be refunded or, as appropriate, modified by our waiving any restriction or fee on changing flights upon suitable documentary evidence produced to us in advance of the date of travel."

Today we got a reply denying us a refund. We have responded with a letter from the hospital stating that she cannot now walk at all, and asking what WOULD qualify for a refund if this does not.

Awaiting developments.

You should ask the CAA for a judgement.

We had a complaint against Ryanair, which they rejected, but the CAA made them cough up. Ryanair's default position is to say no, no matter what, even in our case where the CAA had already ruled that this problem was in breach of the rules and Ryanair had already paid compensation to other people on the same flight.

sunny1989 10 July 2018 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12017623)
Don't fly out of BHX by any chance? My current budget choice is Ryan and Jet2, Jet2 is more pleasant, but the constant advert jingles in-flight make me want to put a bullet in Jess Glynne's forehead! :o :lol1:

The engine noise never really bothered me, those older A321s do make quite a racket on take off but generally settled down during cruise. I was always under the impression it was due to the tips of the front fan going supersonic whilst the airflow through them is at an angle during climbing (could be totally wrong on that btw). main noise issues with 737s is the HVAC and the general cabin noise when up to cruise speed. It gave me the impression the A321 either has better noise dampening in the cabin or its design created less wind noise. I almost alway sit near the front, rows 2 to 10, in those seating positions it's definitely a quieter flight on the '321.

I really should get noise cancelling headphones, but not until I have a phone that supports aptX and I don't like using bulky 'phones for travelling...rather use a good set of buds that seal well.

I think that's certainly an effect on all the turbofan powerplants at that stage. Faster tip velocity - higher dynamic pressure - greater pressure differential - more thrust which is needed at that stage but is also noisier like you say. The new CFM LEAP has a larger fan that spins slower but has a lot less blades (less solidity so its quieter, can compare it to a plane with two props against a four prop) and a new shrouding so its a lot quieter, eerily quiet!

From experience the Airbus is quieter to operate, the cabin is nicer acoustically and space wise if its not configured horribly.

haha those jingles are tragic, unfortunately not. I'd love a northern base too but Ryanair and Jet 2 have well and truly got BHX and east mids.

alcazar 11 July 2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 12017558)
I have never in my life heard anyone say "we can only afford budget airline travel but I am gonna buy a house abroad"

Good for you.
So what?

alcazar 11 July 2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji (Post 12017647)
You should ask the CAA for a judgement.

We had a complaint against Ryanair, which they rejected, but the CAA made them cough up. Ryanair's default position is to say no, no matter what, even in our case where the CAA had already ruled that this problem was in breach of the rules and Ryanair had already paid compensation to other people on the same flight.

Thanks, will do that if they respond negatively to our last message, or don't respond at all (probable).

mrtheedge2u2 11 July 2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12017752)
Good for you.
So what?

so, basically, you are talking sh1te

alcazar 11 July 2018 04:33 PM

LOL, just because YOU don't know anyone.:D

Out of interest, just how many people DO you know with property abroad?

Wurzel 11 July 2018 04:41 PM

I have property abroad but as I live in it full time is it still classed as abroad :D

mrtheedge2u2 11 July 2018 11:26 PM

I would say about 25.

alcazar 12 July 2018 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 12017874)
I would say about 25.

Wow! THAT many???
I'd say you are lying:D

Personally, my contacts abroad are in the 100's, and EVERY ONE says that if Ryanair didn't exist, they would be in a hole.

mrtheedge2u2 12 July 2018 01:56 PM

Not lying at all. Well if your friends are that reliant on very cheap budget airlines to get through life in their second homes then I would say they should leave their financial decisions to someone else or sell up one of their homes

RobsyUK 12 July 2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 12017980)
Not lying at all. Well if your friends are that reliant on very cheap budget airlines to get through life in their second homes then I would say they should leave their financial decisions to someone else or sell up one of their homes

what meth are you on? Regardless of the amount of money someone has and no matter how much they pay for a service the service should meet expectations .
im glad he has a second home. Hell what if he was a war vet or better still a benefit scrounger that’s fiddled the system so well he can have a second home.
good luck to him.

Mr Fuji 12 July 2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 12017980)

I don't see your logic here. Why does owning a home abroad and flying on cheap airlines not equate? Why pay several hundred pounds to to fly to somewhere nearby in Europe when you can do it for peanuts? This is simply good sense. I have been on numerous EasyJet and Ryanair flights where some of the people boarding have been obviously very well heeled!

I admit if I was loaded and flying more than about 3 hours I would pay, but for Spain and France, you're joking!

alcazar 12 July 2018 04:22 PM

Crikey!
I find myself agreeing with mr Fuji....:D

mrtheedge2u2 12 July 2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12017982)

what meth are you on? Regardless of the amount of money someone has and no matter how much they pay for a service the service should meet expectations .
im glad he has a second home. Hell what if he was a war vet or better still a benefit scrounger that’s fiddled the system so well he can have a second home.
good luck to him.

Well done fckutard for not being able to grasp what me and Alcazar are talking about.

Myself and him went off on a tangent and are discussing cost of airlines not the quality. Jesus Christ, are you even able to walk and think at the same time? And just so you are left in no doubt.....if you pay for something, then you should get a level of quality for it. Simple