ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Having your wifi hacked by a neighbour (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1055047-having-your-wifi-hacked-by-a-neighbour.html)

An0n0m0us 01 July 2018 12:10 PM

Having your wifi hacked by a neighbour

What would you do?

I have 2 wireless networks outside of my own showing up, 1 called "hacking next doors wifi" and the other "virus infected wifi"

I suspect it's the teenage little sh!t next door.

I've created a new SSID using an old mobile phone with wifi hotspot with a nice little message.

Apart from changing the SSID of mine and hiding it which is an utter pain in the ar$e for how many devices I have connected to it what else would you do?

I could also restrict it mac address filtering but again more of a pain in the ar$e.

Or I could report it to the police and insist they do something about it under the Computer Misuse Act which carries a maximum 5 year sentence or fine. He's a public school boy and his parents would have a fit if the police turned up at their house they are right stuck up tw4ts :lol1:

At the moment I have no proof it's him but easy enough to get software to check signal strength of wifi signals and have a walk about outside to pinpoint which house it's coming from :lol1:

Any other ideas/suggestions?

the shreksta 01 July 2018 01:03 PM

Just send the plod round mate, if that's what will upset them the most then that's what I would do.

****ing toffs........

alcazar 01 July 2018 07:03 PM

Aye, me too.

An0n0m0us 01 July 2018 07:12 PM

Well that was easy, found out who it is and it's not who I thought! No police needed :lol1:

Amazing the apps you can get on your phone, told me all I wanted to know :thumb:

Might tighten up my router security though now its made me think about it.

urban 02 July 2018 09:24 PM

Do you reckon your wifi was reasonably well setup, i.e WPA2-PSK etc, with a strong password?

An0n0m0us 02 July 2018 09:27 PM

It's using wpa2 yep but used to have it tighter with hidden ssid and mac address restrictions but it was a pain to setup each time I got a new router.

alcazar 03 July 2018 10:25 AM

How on earth does anyone hack a password like the ones that go mxyztplk???

urban 03 July 2018 10:33 AM

Brute force attack software probably

Fishbowlhead 03 July 2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar
How on earth does anyone hack a password like the ones that go mxyztplk???

99% of the time they don't. Most WiFi breaches on a local scale happen because you forget to set up a password on the actual router software itself, yes your router has software on it. From there you can change the passwords, settings, or simply sit on the network and then use that to get into other devices on the WiFi network and learn other info.

Then you have social engineering which is also common and actually quite easy, using poorly passworded email accounts to then get into everything else.

Brute force beaches are a really a thing in films and would is actually pointless on a cost scale when social engineering is so simple and easy.

Pross 03 July 2018 12:21 PM

Actually most router devices are vulnerable unless they have been patched by the vendor.
https://www.krackattacks.com/

jaygsi 03 July 2018 03:02 PM

Crazy. I go on my router now and again and change settings etc. Allows you to see who's using your router and you can block them. Not sure if this would do anything regarding these attacks though.

An0n0m0us 03 July 2018 03:06 PM

Also when I looked it up there are Linux distros specifically aimed at 'penetration testing' when they actually mean hacking wifi. Kali Linux being one of them.

tarmac terror 03 July 2018 03:08 PM

You would be better using something like "inssider" to measure the strength of your own signal from outside your property and turn down the output power of your own router, if you can, move it up on to the first floor of your house, then turn down the power.

I have a great feature in my access point called Air Marshall - I have it configured to block access to my network from rogue devices by MAC or SSID. It sends me an alert when a rogue device is detected, which I have labelled when I know who's device it is - this means I can tell when the postman has been on my property, the guy from the electricity company, a range of delivery drivers etc as I have collected their details over time, as long as they have their phone or tablet or whatever with them, I know when they are at my house before they knock the door.

tarmac terror 03 July 2018 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 12016649)
Also when I looked it up there are Linux distros specifically aimed at 'penetration testing' when they actually mean hacking wifi. Kali Linux being one of them.

don't bee fooled though - the average Joe will struggle to even install backtrack, kali, or any of the other pen test distros never mind be able to use them!!

Cracking WIFI is not as easy as you might think unless it is really badly configured - without a wifi card capable of packet injection and operating in monitoring mode, and understanding what these mean, you aren't really going to gain much.

Pross 03 July 2018 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12016646)
Crazy. I go on my router now and again and change settings etc. Allows you to see who's using your router and you can block them. Not sure if this would do anything regarding these attacks though.

No it wouldnt, because they are not actually connecting to your wifi they are watching the packets.

An0n0m0us 03 July 2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 12016652)
don't bee fooled though - the average Joe will struggle to even install backtrack, kali, or any of the other pen test distros never mind be able to use them!!

Cracking WIFI is not as easy as you might think unless it is really badly configured - without a wifi card capable of packet injection and operating in monitoring mode, and understanding what these mean, you aren't really going to gain much.

Oh I know it's not easy but plenty of guides out there after I looked and I was tempted to try Kali for myself but got better things to be doing at the moment. If you are that way inclined then looking up what network card to get etc won't hold them back. Some of the World's best hackers tend to appear as teenagers. Personally I don't get it but i've never got into scripting/coding. Plus if you are a networking expert then you have a big advantage getting your way through firewalls and switches.

BlkKnight 05 July 2018 08:47 AM

90% of the hackers aren't true hackers - they are just script kiddies - using some someone else's work.

Tidgy 05 July 2018 09:20 AM

do you really think a hacker would name there connections like that? lol

you've been trolled and caught hook, line, sinker and the rod by the looks of your reaction lol

An0n0m0us 05 July 2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12016897)
do you really think a hacker would name there connections like that? lol

you've been trolled and caught hook, line, sinker and the rod by the looks of your reaction lol

Eh? Where did I say it was a hacker? I thought it was the little teenage sh!t who lives next door because I don't get on with them that's all :rolleyes:

Tidgy 05 July 2018 01:20 PM

you not rememebr what the thread title is? lol

An0n0m0us 05 July 2018 01:34 PM

Yeah it says by a neighbour and your point is? Some kid trying to hack wifi doesn't make them a hacker just a pain in the ar$e :rolleyes: So your trying to make out i've claimed something I haven't :rolleyes:

Torquemada 06 July 2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 12016935)
Yeah it says by a neighbour and your point is? Some kid trying to hack wifi doesn't make them a hacker just a pain in the ar$e :rolleyes: So your trying to make out i've claimed something I haven't :rolleyes:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...b2dd864bc7.gif

ALi-B 08 July 2018 03:33 PM

Dammit: I have a sinking feeling my routers been hacked.

Can't access login page.

It's either that or the hot weather has made it go on the fritz (it lives in the attic space, but its coped with the heat for years without issue).

Currently powered down for a tea break to see if a cool down and reboot will fix it. :o

Failing that I'll have to flash the b*stard.

Sent from my iPhone with 1 bar of signal on the 4G :mad:

ALi-B 08 July 2018 04:13 PM

Reboot worked.

Checked settings: Firewall OFF, WAN admin ENABLED! :eek: :mad:

Fffffffuuuuckkk :cry:

john_d 11 July 2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 12016393)
Well that was easy, found out who it is and it's not who I thought! No police needed :lol1:

so who was it then?:freak3: