ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   I/C Spray light (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1054786-i-c-spray-light.html)

Hawkeye D 14 June 2018 06:31 PM

I/C Spray light

Well, turned into a junction today and saw a light flash briefly on the dash, but missed what it was.

Few more corners and it popped up again for half a second...missed it again grrrrr lol

Last corner before work I caught it.....I/C Spray light.

Least I know the low level warning light works, not seen it in 6 years of ownership. Been using it a fair bit lately...for what its worth of course.

Just my useless input for the day! :)

Doc T 14 June 2018 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 12013982)
Well, turned into a junction today and saw a light flash briefly on the dash, but missed what it was.

Few more corners and it popped up again for half a second...missed it again grrrrr lol

Last corner before work I caught it.....I/C Spray light.

Least I know the low level warning light works, not seen it in 6 years of ownership. Been using it a fair bit lately...for what its worth of course.

Just my useless input for the day! :)

Out of nerdish interest, when do you use the spray? Before planting your right foot? Afterwards? Any time you think the intercooler needs a cool down? Does it work?

hedgecutter 14 June 2018 09:50 PM

Spec C hatch has auto spray only, triggered by temperature and revs

scout1982 15 June 2018 01:51 PM

s202 intercooler spray has manual or auto use options. I just leave mine on auto. I think it tends to activate at the time you plant your foot, but it is hard to pick out with all the other cabin noise so I may be wrong....

Hawkeye D 15 June 2018 06:19 PM

I don't think there is any solid proof that the I/C spray actually has an effect. Before or after a WOT isn't a bad idea.

My 2007 STi Spec D only has manual mode, but where the button is, you have one hand off the wheel so it's not really user friendly in that respect.

I do use it a fair bit in traffic to try and reduce the TMIC heat soak, but I've never been overly convinced it does much.

Maybe more if the tank in the boot was half full with ice cubes and water...….

Remember, a car sitting in the sun all day......the water is warm anyway!

trevsjwood 15 June 2018 06:51 PM

the problem is the nozzle only sprays onto the front centre part of the intercooler, it may help to bring temps down a little sooner but the effect must be minimal.
I rigged a diy sprayboom to spray water up into the bonnet scoop airflow, so the whole intercooler was wetted, as if raining. That had a big effect, both limiting peak charge temps and slapping them down. So the principle of water/ heat exchange is good but the oem system falls well short.
Trev

Hawkeye D 15 June 2018 07:15 PM

Lots of videos on YouTube where people rig up more Hozelock nozzles, mister nozzles, booms and so on. I agree, the principle works.

Just needs modding!

trevsjwood 15 June 2018 07:32 PM

can't use it on track though, so in the end not much point, for me anyway.
Trev

JDM_Stig 15 June 2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 12014096)
I don't think there is any solid proof that the I/C spray actually has an effect. Before or after a WOT isn't a bad idea.

My 2007 STi Spec D only has manual mode, but where the button is, you have one hand off the wheel so it's not really user friendly in that respect.

I do use it a fair bit in traffic to try and reduce the TMIC heat soak, but I've never been overly convinced it does much.

Maybe more if the tank in the boot was half full with ice cubes and water...….

Remember, a car sitting in the sun all day......the water is warm anyway!

My JDM has the water tank in the engine bay, it has to be cool in there lol
JDM Sti has manual and auto as well.