ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Quay Vehicle Solutions (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1054778-quay-vehicle-solutions.html)

BillTheButcher 14 June 2018 11:22 AM

Quay Vehicle Solutions

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone bought from them? They have all kinds of cars but most of their stock seems to be JDM imports. Reviews are good and the chap I've been dealing with has been helpful and responsive.

I'm interested in one car in particular which looks very clean inside and out. My only issue is that the service history is in Japan. Is this normal? There is a service sticker with recent mileage on it (see below) but I have no idea what the rest of it says. :oops:

Any help with translating the sticker or experience of Quay Vehicle Solutions would be much appreciated. :thumb:

RobsyUK 14 June 2018 01:08 PM

Download Google translate and use the photo. It' really good. There's also an app where you pay I think £30 and it tells you if the car is from the radiation zone, it's milege and other details.

Don Clark 14 June 2018 02:47 PM

I believe roughly translates as....
The green lines are oil last changed date (29/01) and 93086 km's
Oil used Synthetic 5w30 (SN5w30)
and Filter changed

The Blue lines are next oil change due 98000Km's-29/07 and next oil and filter change 103000Km's

Rob Day 14 June 2018 02:50 PM

Top work Don, as ever a master of all Subaru information!

BillTheButcher 14 June 2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12013943)
Download Google translate and use the photo. It' really good. There's also an app where you pay I think £30 and it tells you if the car is from the radiation zone, it's milege and other details.

Thanks. I didn't know the Google Translate app could do photos. :)

This is what it came back with:
Next oil change: 97,000 (it looks like the original 95,000 was overwritten with 97,000) km = 60,300 miles or 29/7
Next oil filter change: 103,000 km = 64,000 miles
Mileage when changed: 93,086 km = 57,800 miles
Change date: 29/1

Does that mean they're recommending changing the oil after six months or (less than) 4,000 km? :wonder:

The car is currently on 61,100 miles so if that translation's correct then it's due an oil change.

I'm very confused. :?

BillTheButcher 14 June 2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12013952)
I believe roughly translates as....
The green lines are oil last changed date (29/01) and 93086 km's
Oil used Synthetic 5w30 (SN5w30)
and Filter changed

The Blue lines are next oil change due 98000Km's-29/07 and next oil and filter change 103000Km's

I posted my reply above before I saw this. Thank you. :)

So they are recommending an oil change after six months or (less than) 5,000 km. :?

Don Clark 14 June 2018 06:09 PM

It's saying that in Japan they change the oil every 5000 Kms or 6 months and every 10000kms change the filter as well.
What you would do with it in the UK is entirely upto you.

Irrespective of which model it is I'd be changing the oil and filter every 6 months/5000 miles which ever the soonest.

Hawkeye D 14 June 2018 06:20 PM

I'd change it when once I'd picked it up anyway, regardless of what oil was put in it or when.

Do you mean the rest of the service history is literally in Japan....or the trader has it but it's all in Japanese? Hopefully the latter...…….

BillTheButcher 14 June 2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12013974)
It's saying that in Japan they change the oil every 5000 Kms or 6 months and every 10000kms change the filter as well.
What you would do with it in the UK is entirely upto you.

Irrespective of which model it is I'd be changing the oil and filter every 6 months/5000 miles which ever the soonest.

Much appreciated. :thumb:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 12013976)
I'd change it when once I'd picked it up anyway, regardless of what oil was put in it or when.

Do you mean the rest of the service history is literally in Japan....or the trader has it but it's all in Japanese? Hopefully the latter...…….

Sadly, the former. It's the only black mark, albeit a significant one, against what looks to be an otherwise faultless car.

BillTheButcher 18 June 2018 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm now the proud owner of the aforementioned 2005 JDM WRX Sportwagon. It's such a laugh to drive, it sounds great (STI GeNome backbox) and it's in absolutely mint condition. I found a couple of older service stickers (as well as the one I posted above) so I decided to take a risk on it not having FSH.

hedgecutter 18 June 2018 10:36 AM

I've seriously considered importing a blob wagon; my old one was so practical and economical compared with the current jdm hatch. Nice.

Tidgy 18 June 2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by BillTheButcher (Post 12014388)
I'm now the proud owner of the aforementioned 2005 JDM WRX Sportwagon. It's such a laugh to drive, it sounds great (STI GeNome backbox) and it's in absolutely mint condition. I found a couple of older service stickers (as well as the one I posted above) so I decided to take a risk on it not having FSH.

any history on a jap import is a bonus, pretty often then dont have any at all, or if it does you cant read it haha

BillTheButcher 18 June 2018 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12014429)
any history on a jap import is a bonus, pretty often then dont have any at all, or if it does you cant read it haha

:lol1:

I've got the auction sheet and what looks like a general info sheet about the car.

Being able to switch off the head unit would be a good start. :wonder: It's stuck in a loop of (what looks like) an attempted update and then rebooting when it fails. The Open button (which I assume would give me access to the innards) just triggers an onscreen message.

Tidgy 18 June 2018 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BillTheButcher (Post 12014430)
:lol1:

I've got the auction sheet and what looks like a general info sheet about the car.

Being able to switch off the head unit would be a good start. :wonder: It's stuck in a loop of (what looks like) an attempted update and then rebooting when it fails. The Open button (which I assume would give me access to the innards) just triggers an onscreen message.

could try unplugging it at the back and leaving it over night, most have perm 12v power so even when engine/ignition off it's still powered, some have short term backup batterys for allowing battery swapping etc so overnight will drain that. Should then default back to factory settings.

Best bet is prob just replace it anyway, can get a a double din or a pocket and single din for not alot of money.

BillTheButcher 18 June 2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12014435)
could try unplugging it at the back and leaving it over night, most have perm 12v power so even when engine/ignition off it's still powered, some have short term backup batterys for allowing battery swapping etc so overnight will drain that. Should then default back to factory settings.

Best bet is prob just replace it anyway, can get a a double din or a pocket and single din for not alot of money.

I can't even get the panel to open and there's no obvious power button. :freak3: I never use ICE so I'd prefer to just have it removed and use the space for something else or just blank it off.

Don Clark 18 June 2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BillTheButcher (Post 12014437)
I can't even get the panel to open and there's no obvious power button. :freak3: I never use ICE so I'd prefer to just have it removed and use the space for something else or just blank it off.

Surround looks similar to MY04
https://i.atcdn.co.uk/imgser-uk/imgs...024&height=768

http://clarkdh.net23.net/NTL/MY04imp%20audio.JPG

BillTheButcher 18 June 2018 03:29 PM

Yes, that looks almost identical. Thank you. :)

BillTheButcher 19 June 2018 02:12 PM

I've run the manual through Google Translate. It looks like holding down the SRC (source) button might turn the unit off. Next time I'm out in the car I'll find out a) whether that works and b) whether it comes back on with the ignition after a restart.

The Trooper 1815 20 June 2018 01:33 PM

I found QVS expensive by about £1 or 2k to all the other importers. They got very sniffy when I pointed this out so I went elsewhere and got more for less.

Hawkeye D 20 June 2018 06:22 PM

Looks as clean as a whistle, and a good buy.
Just the usual thing now though......more pics!!!!