ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Shell V power near you (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1054562-shell-v-power-near-you.html)

Martianwrx 02 June 2018 12:10 AM

Shell V power near you

Its recently just gone over £1.40 near me. It is now cheaper to do a 20 mile round journey to a Tesco 99 garage and fill up.

The normal shell stuff is £1.30 something, the last time i remember fuel being so expensive it was in the news and everyone was threatening a strike.

Now no one is batting an eyelid, and the production and price of oil is being controlled by the big companies, because there is currently not a shortage.
The only person I can see admitting that the price per barrel is being unfairly controlled is Vladimir Putin :wonder:

All sources of information can be found in the first two pages on google searching crude oil. I wont pretend to understand everything i read, but i got the gist of it.

Russia states that "they are discussing raising output to ease consumer anxiety after prices jumped to levels last seen in 2014.Saudi Arabia and Russia signaled they’ll restore some of the output they cut as part of a deal between OPEC and its allies that took effect in January last year. Potential opposition from several producers could complicate the group’s effort to reach a consensus when it meets next month in Vienna."

Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week - that oil prices at $60 fully suit Russia and the country doesn’t want them to spiral higher. (Barrel's range between $115 and $75). Anything above that level “can lead to certain problems for consumers, which also isn’t good for producers,” he said. OPEC and his nation don’t plan to stick to existing output cuts, he said.
And while Goldman Sachs' fundamental views are that oil prices will strengthen.

The big oil companies are warning that they cant keep charging what they are charging due to limited resources, problems in Venezuela and potential losses from Iran. So prices WILL go up, and keep rising essentially.

However...

In the UK we are finding oil quite regularly, several big sites in the last few years.

Deirdre Michie, chief executive of Oil and Gas UK, said it was welcome news, adding that the find “demonstrates the significant remaining potential” of the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS).
“There are still up to 20bn barrels of oil and gas to go after in the UKCS and we believe that makes the basin a very positive investment prospect indeed.”

In America, Russia and Bahrain 100's of Billions of oil barrel sites have been found in the last few years, more than the "gold mines of the 40's" that lead to society today.

We need to conserve what we have, but its not by squeezing everyday people till they bleed. We are just the easiest to squeeze.

If there was a plan to conserve oil, the money made from rising petrol prices went towards future plans, factories cut plastic production and alternatives were made and everyone was working towards it, i could get behind it. But there isnt. Its just greed. They see people pay more and not question and so they push even further, faking production figures to control market prices.

Its been an annoying day, really opressive heat, then driving around for work the state of the main roads around here are shocking, then later I had to pay £7 quid more for my car tax because i didnt want to pay it by DD and it just makes me wonder what it gets spent on.

I had to put a load of petrol in and wasnt able to pop to tesco for the £1.24 99 ron so spent a fortune at Shell.

I just had my car MOT'd, it passed but I also have to insure it this month aswell. :brickwall

I just think there is nothing in the media discussing how drivers are getting the sharp end of a BIG stick.

Rant over lol

NotFromSomerset 02 June 2018 01:14 AM

Think I paid 1.45 the other day for shell. I always fill up with Tesco 99 usually but even that has had a sharp increase recently to about 1.29ish

I'm just hoping electric cars boom in sales over the next few years and prices will naturally decrease as demand drops.

jaygsi 02 June 2018 10:32 AM

I heard oil prices have gone down. But for court prices hadn't. It's getting silly again. Only good thing to come out of this is Impreza prices will drop and I can pick up a cheap classic :thumb:

And don't get me started on the roads.

alcazar 02 June 2018 05:40 PM

Had TWO Shell stations, now none within thirty miles.

And Tesco 99 octane is available when they bother.

sti_approved 02 June 2018 05:49 PM

I paid 1.49 99 other day, ridiculous. Dudley.

hedgecutter 02 June 2018 05:57 PM

Alot of shell stations were bought up by one company about 3 years ago; this stopped independently owned shells competing against each other; I stick with Tesco unless on a road trip somewhere. Too many big companies profiteering

Doc T 02 June 2018 06:18 PM

I have V Power within 6 miles: or 12 down to Dover for Tesco 99. Prices are in line with your FANTASTIC diatribe.

Who's for a spot of Sunday revolution?

Meet me in Hyde Park. Wear green, and carry a copy of the New Internationalist. :lol1:

nikon-man 02 June 2018 08:06 PM

I only ever use Shell V Power and too be honest never look how much it is just fill it up....

it needs fuel so why worry how much it costs !!!

Doc T 02 June 2018 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by nikon-man (Post 12012345)
I only ever use Shell V Power and too be honest never look how much it is just fill it up....

AMEN. Just give her a drink. :thumb:

nikon-man 02 June 2018 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doc T (Post 12012351)
AMEN. Just give her a drink. :thumb:

exactly

ZANY 02 June 2018 09:49 PM

+1

jaygsi 03 June 2018 01:01 AM

Really I know some people who live there who always say how cheap it is.

Originally Posted by sti_approved
I paid 1.49 99 other day, ridiculous. Dudley.

jaygsi 03 June 2018 01:09 AM

It's the principle, if your one of those people who lies back and lets others rip you off and just puts up with it, then that's fine. But alot of people don't like being treated like mugs.

Originally Posted by nikon-man

mike74 03 June 2018 06:13 AM

Agreed. The people whinging about increased fuel prices will be the debt junkies and ten bob millionaires who used credit to buy cars they can't really afford and are now feeling the squeeze.

jaygsi 03 June 2018 08:53 AM

All my cars are paid for and I have no debt to speak of apart from credit card that I pay off monthly. Still think car owners are being taken for mugs. No matter what car you own. The richest people are normally the tightest :lol1:

Originally Posted by mike74
Agreed. The people whinging about increased fuel prices will be the debt junkies and ten bob millionaires who used credit to buy cars they can't really afford and are now feeling the squeeze.

hedgecutter 03 June 2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mike74 (Post 12012378)

Rubbish. Caring about what I spend means I have no mortgages, several properties, and no credit card. I also get to chose if I want to get out of bed in the morning . . Totally with Jaygsi on this one. More for us to spend on something else, apply that to every purchase you make, soon adds up.

Martianwrx 03 June 2018 01:34 PM

My car and its mods are paid for. I can afford the fuel and only have 1 credit card and no loans, for all of you that are generalising that everyone who complains is a debt junkie.

My argument is why should i be happy to pay extortionate petrol prices when there is no need.

The fuel cost are artificially increased purely for petrol companies greed.
They have not risen due to increased costs.... They have risen because the big companies agreed to throttle production thereby CREATING demand and increased prices per barrel of crude oil.

Why should i be happy to pay into that, why are you happy to throw money away? Just because you can?? It sounds like it, and if so then enjoy it while you can because your cash will be lining some corporations wallet one day while you moan online about the cost of air lol.

And just so you know, the "pinch" will affect those of you who feel secure with your income one day, IF this uncontrollable greed by big corporations is allowed to continue. The old adage is true, 'if allowed to take an inch they will take a mile', its how you have happy share holders.

ZANY 03 June 2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12012369)
It's the principle, if your one of those people who lies back and lets others rip you off and just puts up with it, then that's fine. But alot of people don't like being treated like mugs.

If the fuel prices would go down because of “people” I would certainly take the stress and headache aboard and join in... BUT it won’t so why work yourself up about it there’s really no need

Just chill and enjoy the boost in this wonderful weather
smiles per miles as they say :)
not worth doing your head in about pal life’s to short have a lovely day :thumb:

jaygsi 03 June 2018 05:50 PM

I don't get a smile per mile when I know I'm being ripped off at the same time. I prefer to air my disapproval, plus sometimes you find out info from others of changes etc.

Doc T 03 June 2018 08:40 PM

https://attachment.outlook.live.net/...live.com&isc=1

DOVER TESCO. :luxhello:

Tidgy 03 June 2018 09:48 PM

Finding oil and extracting it are two different things. Plenty of oil in the UK, just costs 3 times more to extract it than other oil fields.

Type R Al 04 June 2018 05:20 PM

In Solihull today Shell V Power is £1.429/L and Tesco 99 £1.329/L where I filled up. I keep detailed mileage records for business and found the price is the highest since 4 years ago. When I bought my daily 2.5 years ago I paid £17 less to fill up!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8382801.html