ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What will limit me first? V3 STI Remap (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1054395-what-will-limit-me-first-v3-sti-remap.html)

V-Lim Jim 23 May 2018 05:59 PM

What will limit me first? V3 STI Remap

Hi All,

My V3 STI GF8 is getting an Andy Carr ESL remap at Autotecnica next month and I wanted to see what people's thoughts were on my spec and what might be easy upgrades to give me more performance from the remap. I plan to go MAFless. Engine wise I currently have;

-EJ207 2 litre shortblock, V3 STI Heads
-Harvey Trick Up-pipe
-Samco turbo inlet pipe
-Forge Recirculating DV

-Walbro 255 to be installed
-Standard VF23 Turbo
-Standard Yellow injectors (believe these are 440cc)
-Standard air box with Cosworth panel filter
-3in sports catted exhaust to be installed

I am not chasing a power figure but I do want as much torque as possible from the standard turbo.

What torque/power would you expect this setup to give me? and could I change anything above to eek out a little more performance without breaking the bank? (larger injectors for example?)

Your thoughts would be appreciated :top:

1509joe 23 May 2018 06:09 PM

Turbo and possibly injectors should get 320/330

yabbadoo4 23 May 2018 11:45 PM

ported headers always helps with spool. 3 port boost solenoid helps with better boost control also. full decat will see the best gains as it really lets the engine breathe.

bludgod 24 May 2018 09:51 AM

i'd be inclined to add a fuel pressure regulator and a dump valve to your setup along with a newer map sensor (fitted with the ECU).

The older map sensors are limited to 1.2bar max - the newer one will read up to 1.7bar so means you can run a little more boost mid-range to get the most out of it.

1509joe 24 May 2018 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 12011086)
i'd be inclined to add a fuel pressure regulator and a dump valve to your setup along with a newer map sensor (fitted with the ECU).

The older map sensors are limited to 1.2bar max - the newer one will read up to 1.7bar so means you can run a little more boost mid-range to get the most out of it.

Should be the later MAP sensor on the v3 STI but the v3 are notorious for a mixture of parts. Have seen 3 ports and 2 ports factory fitted with the same ECU :wonder:

V-Lim Jim 24 May 2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 12011086)

Thanks mate, forgot to put the Forge recric DV in my spec, I have now edited my post. Is there any particular brand and type of fuel reg that I should be looking for on the V3 sti? Also, will a newage 1.7bar MAP fit my car physically or will it need modification?

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 12011066)
ported headers always helps with spool. 3 port boost solenoid helps with better boost control also. full decat will see the best gains as it really lets the engine breathe.

Thanks Yabba, as Joe has said I *think* I'm pretty sure I have a 3 port already but will double check. I am also now considering full decat to give me maximum grunt low down.

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12011034)
Turbo and possibly injectors should get 320/330

Thanks mate, pretty happy with those numbers

bludgod 24 May 2018 03:02 PM

the only map sensor that "fits" is the original one, however newage ones and 97/98 ones and even after market ones all follow the same setup - 3 wires and 1 vac hose so fitting isn't a big deal.

if your buying a 2nd hand sensor, ask the seller if they can include the loom/harness fitting and a few inches of wiring to attach to your car.

For the fuel reg, any of the big brand names will do fine - ebay ones tend to be fakes/bad copies and will leak or randomly pack in leaving you without fuel at a time that you really need fuel so best avoided.

V-Lim Jim 24 May 2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 12011116)
the only map sensor that "fits" is the original one, however newage ones and 97/98 ones and even after market ones all follow the same setup - 3 wires and 1 vac hose so fitting isn't a big deal.

if your buying a 2nd hand sensor, ask the seller if they can include the loom/harness fitting and a few inches of wiring to attach to your car.

For the fuel reg, any of the big brand names will do fine - ebay ones tend to be fakes/bad copies and will leak or randomly pack in leaving you without fuel at a time that you really need fuel so best avoided.

That makes sense, most of the MAP units I have been looking at seem to be a circuit board/sensor so I guess I could DIY it in, I've seen a guide on here.

I'll avoid ebay fakes, I don't fancy fuel squirting about in my engine bay!

bludgod 24 May 2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by V-Lim Jim (Post 12011135)
That makes sense, most of the MAP units I have been looking at seem to be a circuit board/sensor so I guess I could DIY it in, I've seen a guide on here.

I'll avoid ebay fakes, I don't fancy fuel squirting about in my engine bay!

aye that's the aftermarket sensors - but look for a map sensor off a 97-00 car it's a complete standalone sensor in a box with 3 pins on it which you can tie into your existing wiring harness, attach the vac line and jobs done!

V-Lim Jim 25 May 2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 12011136)
aye that's the aftermarket sensors - but look for a map sensor off a 97-00 car it's a complete standalone sensor in a box with 3 pins on it which you can tie into your existing wiring harness, attach the vac line and jobs done!

Thanks for the tip, that's what I'll look for :)

mellinator2k 25 May 2018 11:23 AM

I have roughly same spec as you on a 97 sti and running 314 bhp

V-Lim Jim 25 May 2018 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mellinator2k (Post 12011214)
I have roughly same spec as you on a 97 sti and running 314 bhp

Thanks Mell, is that at the flywheel? How much torque?

mellinator2k 25 May 2018 06:58 PM

I’ll double check mate and let you know.
I have 314 without an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator- so many you can pull a couple extra horses out of her