ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Help with ex employer (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1054339-help-with-ex-employer.html)

boustie.sti 18 May 2018 07:32 AM

Help with ex employer

I'll try and keep the story simple
I recently told someone I wasn't working for them anymore I was self employed but was very similar to a normal employee job (I presume to save them money) they didn't take it well.
Whilst I worked there he told me I could take a used part and at the time I assumed it was either free or very cheap. Nothing more was said and this was in February.
When I told them I had another job he told me to leave there and then so I packed my tools and said I would send an invoice for £150 (1 and a half days work but I actually worked near enough 2)
I now have a cheque for £50 and an invoice for a second hand part for £100.!.
I would like to just forget about it and ive tried everything to resolve this but am getting no where he just keeps playing daft games, are there any steps I can take as I don't want to let it go as he could do this to the next person.
Ps the second hand part is readily available on ebay for £20 delivered.
Thanks for any advice

dpb 18 May 2018 08:20 AM

Give it back to him , and just move on.

boustie.sti 18 May 2018 08:25 AM

Not sure what you mean, I have nothing to give back

16vmini 18 May 2018 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by boustie.sti (Post 12010341)
Not sure what you mean, I have nothing to give back

think he means give the part back ... but i guess you used the part by now ?

mrtheedge2u2 18 May 2018 08:30 AM

dpb means you should give him back the spare part you took.

To some people 100 quid is little money, to others it is a lot of money but one thing is certain; if you are gonna pursue your lost money through legal means it will cost you a lot more than the 100 pounds to retrieve it. To be honest, I would just move on. In your next position make sure you get it written down that an item is free......

boustie.sti 18 May 2018 08:51 AM

It is a fair bit of cash to me. I have fitted the part in Feb.
Its just frustrating knowing he's sort of got away with it, people like that always do.

dpb 18 May 2018 09:00 AM

how much notice did you give btw

Wurzel 18 May 2018 10:09 AM

Buy another one for 20 quid off ebay and give it to him and get your 100 quid back.

boustie.sti 18 May 2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 12010346)
how much notice did you give btw

We didn't discuss he lost it and started shouting and told me to leave. I was self employed no contract

boustie.sti 18 May 2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 12010354)
Buy another one for 20 quid off ebay and give it to him and get your 100 quid back.

Yes tried that but he knows I've fitted it and says he wouldn't accept a crap ebay one !

16vmini 18 May 2018 10:18 AM

sadly just move on , cost you more to try and get it back , take it as a lesson ...

legb4rsk 18 May 2018 11:19 AM

If he is as tight as you say then it will cost him much more than £100 to get it back through legal means.

1:It's his word against yours.
2:You can prove that you can replace it for £20.
3:Does he have any proof the part was his? Invoice or inventory etc. or that it even existed?

BMWhere? 18 May 2018 01:37 PM

Also sounds like hes pulling a fast one on avoiding employing people and forcing them to work as contractors. Threaten to report him and he'll soon fess up the £100!

Have a read of this:https://helix-law.co.uk/employment-l...tractors-have/

boustie.sti 18 May 2018 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BMWhere? (Post 12010381)
Also sounds like hes pulling a fast one on avoiding employing people and forcing them to work as contractors. Threaten to report him and he'll soon fess up the £100!

Have a read of this:https://helix-law.co.uk/employment-l...tractors-have/

Thanks will look into this

stilover 18 May 2018 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmini (Post 12010359)
sadly just move on , cost you more to try and get it back , take it as a lesson ...

^^^^^ This

alcazar 18 May 2018 05:16 PM

Put dog sh!t under his car door handles.

Hint: wear rubber gloves to do it.:D

boustie.sti 18 May 2018 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12010408)

:lol1:

1509joe 18 May 2018 07:23 PM

And expanding foam up his exhaust powerful stuff :lol1::lol1::lol1:

scoobypaul_temp 18 May 2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12010408)

Don’t forget to add some drawing pins, to finish the job properly :lol1:

alcazar 19 May 2018 07:37 AM

Oh I woukld...anyone fuks with me gets it back in spades.

stilover 19 May 2018 09:53 AM

As a sub-contractor, you should just take it on the chin. Might be hard to let go, but in the future you might get more work off him.

Falling out over it, or putting dog poo on his handles will just mean that if he needs some work doing, he'll go elsewhere. Better to look at the bigger picture.

dpb 19 May 2018 10:26 AM

Voice of reason

forget the others , with an axe to grind !

TECHNOPUG 19 May 2018 10:40 AM

What do you do that only pays £100 a day as a subie?

alcazar 19 May 2018 12:54 PM

Voice of reason?

Aaaaah, the liberals are in....:D

1509joe 19 May 2018 01:36 PM

Think it would be more the principle with me. The fact that he thought he got away with it and it might be 1k the next time.

boustie.sti 19 May 2018 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 12010482)
What do you do that only pays £100 a day as a subie?

Mechanic, maybe I should send a link to this thread.
Might encourage him to pay up.

ray54 19 May 2018 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by boustie.sti (Post 12010334)
I'll try and keep the story simple
I recently told someone I wasn't working for them anymore I was self employed but was very similar to a normal employee job (I presume to save them money) they didn't take it well.
Whilst I worked there he told me I could take a used part and at the time I assumed it was either free or very cheap. Nothing more was said and this was in February.
When I told them I had another job he told me to leave there and then so I packed my tools and said I would send an invoice for £150 (1 and a half days work but I actually worked near enough 2)
I now have a cheque for £50 and an invoice for a second hand part for £100.!.
I would like to just forget about it and ive tried everything to resolve this but am getting no where he just keeps playing daft games, are there any steps I can take as I don't want to let it go as he could do this to the next person.
Ps the second hand part is readily available on ebay for £20 delivered.
Thanks for any advice

So the part can be had for £20, buy & fit it, give the part he gave you back to him!

One day he might just need you to help hlm out, tell him to f**k off!!

You are now standing on your own two feet............:D

boustie.sti 24 May 2018 08:56 PM

Well I've had an email saying because I've fitted the part it's not returnable so I'm definately not getting any money.
Hes using it as an excuse just to get out of paying me.
I can't let this one go as this may happen to someone else.
I could name and shame this person and their business and feel this is my only option.
​​​​​
​​​​

TheAngryFerret 24 May 2018 10:16 PM

last time i worked in a garage i ended up fighting with the guy..... i got my money. Sometimes you've just got to take whats rightfully yours and not expect the law to do it for you.

stiscooby 30 May 2018 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by boustie.sti (Post 12011165)
Well I've had an email saying because I've fitted the part it's not returnable so I'm definately not getting any money.
​​​​​
​​​​

Wasn't the part 'used' before you had it anyway, so not like it was new and you have since fitted it (depending upon the part of course, e.g. wear and tear etc) so he can't say now because it's used he won't take it back?

Although, if this was only originally a verbal thing, then neither of you have anything in writing agreeing what the deal was so it's his word against yours and therefore you are probably stuffed - unless of course, since you have exchanged emails, do they contain anything that may prove otherwise.

If not, then as annoying as it is, you may as well put it down to a bad experience and move on. Sometimes life is too short to let these things take up too much of your time/cause to much hassle.