ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Removing Driver door to replace (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1054287-removing-driver-door-to-replace.html)

SwissTony 14 May 2018 08:34 AM

Removing Driver door to replace

Been a while since I last posted but searching the web just brings up a ton of pages about door cards, not the entire door !

I have the drivers door that the paint is badly flat and worst the glass is so scratched its terrible to look out of. I have a whole replacement door in the same colour with better glass to swap.

So the question is : what is required to remove the door in its entirety ?

Do you need to take the front wing off to get to the hinges ?
Do you need to mark the hinges so when you replace the door you get a perfect lineup on the shut lines ?

I assume the wiring harness just passes through and of course I will swap the door barrels over but anything else I have missed ?

Car is UK Classic

BrownPantsRacing 14 May 2018 04:23 PM

Nope, it's really easy. You need to unclip the wiring loom inside the footwell and then it all unbolts with the door open. Simples.

There will be a large connector just inside where the door loom goes inside the car. You may have to remove a plastic trim from inside to get to this. Undo the connector and push it through the hole unclipping the rubber boot around it and pushing it free at the same time.

Then it's just 4 bolts plus one or two for the tie that stops the door opening too far and the whole lot is off.

SwissTony 14 May 2018 06:39 PM

cheers mate
right last problem, I need to swap the lock barrels and handles but for the life of me I have struggled no for 2 hours and cant get the last rod out to remove the handle. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I have undone the top bolts holding the handle , moved one rod out of the way but the last rod wont budge. I am now screwed as I cant swap the door with out this step.

BrownPantsRacing 14 May 2018 08:27 PM

Without seeing it I can't remember what else holds it on. They'll probably be a clip somewhere you can't see of a way of getting it out intact. Sorry, can't help.

SwissTony 15 May 2018 10:09 AM

Well it got the better of me in the end. After 3 hours of struggling to get that last road to budge, I gave up and put it back together. Will have to find someone who is far better than me to do the job as every guide on the web eitehr has no pictures because of photobucket arse or they just have a not helpful description like " oh it only takes 20 mins and just pop the rods out"
Yeah like that helps, if they just popped out then I wouldnt have spent bloody hours trying.

BrownPantsRacing 15 May 2018 10:17 AM

If you use Google chrome and install this add on app:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

It will fix all of the broken photo links so you can use some of the guides online again.

There are a few photobucket link fixes like this around if that doesn't work. It still works for me so hopefully will for you too.

BrownPantsRacing 15 May 2018 10:21 AM

This any help? 3m into video

SwissTony 15 May 2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12009944)
If you use Google chrome and install this add on app:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

It will fix all of the broken photo links so you can use some of the guides online again.

There are a few photobucket link fixes like this around if that doesn't work. It still works for me so hopefully will for you too.

Cheers, will try that. Photobucket really are high level *******s !
One more try at this door before I seek expert help who no doubt wil pop the handle off in 20 seconds flat leaving me to look like an idiot,again :lol1:

BrownPantsRacing 15 May 2018 10:23 AM

You're only in Wycombe aren't you Tony? What about Rich at FB? Alternatively if you can get to me in Aylesbury I can have a look with you.

SwissTony 15 May 2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12009945)
This any help? 3m into video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FEL41QvHzU

Sadly no, that one was one I looked at but entirely different on an impreza are there are two rods up there, one for the barrel/lock and one for the handle that links down to the latch. It is that one which is the problem as you cant remove it from the handle at the top and you cant slide it off the lever at the bottom as it is just too long and no way is it open ended or in a plastic clip.

SwissTony 15 May 2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12009948)
You're only in Wycombe aren't you Tony? What about Rich at FB? Alternatively if you can get to me in Aylesbury I can have a look with you.

Messaged him last night so just waiting to see if he is free. He is quite busy doing his build so doubt he has time for the likes of me :lol1:

Alternatively I have to be in Aylesbury this evening so may well take you up on your offer

BrownPantsRacing 15 May 2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 12009951)
Messaged him last night so just waiting to see if he is free. He is quite busy doing his build so doubt he has time for the likes of me :lol1:

Alternatively I have to be in Aylesbury this evening so may well take you up on your offer

Unfortunately I'm out tonight mate, but am in all night tomorrow night (Wednesday) or Friday night if you need me! :thumb:

Don Clark 15 May 2018 11:23 AM

Pages 64-72 or there abouts is a good read.............

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/99-0...Electrical.pdf

SwissTony 15 May 2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12009962)
Pages 64-72 or there abouts is a good read.............

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/99-0...Electrical.pdf

Impressive tech diagrams there :thumb:
But I love the casual description

7. OUTER HANDLE
1) Remove trim panel.
2) Remove sealing cover.
3) Detach door latch rod from outer handle and
key lock.
4) Loosen nut securing outer handle and then
remove outer handle from outside
yeah sounds easy

mickywrx 15 May 2018 08:02 PM

It's a piece of piss to get the door handle out, Chris. :lol1::lol1:

SwissTony 16 May 2018 06:33 AM

Well then drive down here and remove them for me :)

mickywrx 16 May 2018 07:57 PM

I've been kinda busy getting stabbed in the throat today, otherwise I might have. :lol1:

BrownPantsRacing 17 May 2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 12010145)
I've been kinda busy getting stabbed in the throat today, otherwise I might have. :lol1:

Howz the stabbing working out for you then?

Did I just read that right???????

SwissTony 17 May 2018 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12010209)

Oh ignore him, he's just a drama queen. Probably got a scratch , you know these northerners , a bit soft :)

Mate, I haven't had a chance to get across to you this week. There may be a small opening tomorrow depending on work but as Richard at FB is ignoring my texts :D I may still need your help.

BrownPantsRacing 17 May 2018 03:48 PM

Well I have various things going on tomorrow night after work into the evening now, but if you get stuck let me know. Should be around later that evening.

SwissTony 17 May 2018 04:07 PM

thats ok, if I dont get anywhere with Rich I may try next week as this weekend is out for me...

BrownPantsRacing 17 May 2018 04:24 PM

Sounds good to me. Next week is easy for me!

mickywrx 17 May 2018 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12010209)

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 12010218)
Oh ignore him, he's just a drama queen. Probably got a scratch , you know these northerners , a bit soft :)

Had a cyst, that decided it didn't like me so got quickly infected causing an abcess, removed off my neck/throat, with no anisthetic.

Proper Northerner, unlike Swiss, who is a former Northerner since he's been away that long! :D