ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Ceramic coating recommendations (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1054250-ceramic-coating-recommendations.html)

S744hdv 11 May 2018 07:27 AM

Ceramic coating recommendations

Does anybody have any advice or recommendations on getting exhaust parts ceramic coated.

Had a quote from Zircotec for £431+vat for getting the manifold coated in performance colour,that's minus the up pipe.

Is there anywhere else worth looking into?

jaygsi 11 May 2018 10:45 AM

Wow that sounds over the top.

Dave Y 11 May 2018 11:32 AM

Do not use Performance Coatings from Abingdon.
My intercooler pipes cost me £282 they sprayed over some particles on the pipes
They kept my £282 as well !!!!!!

Martianwrx 11 May 2018 11:34 AM

Do it yourself.

I recently ported my own manifold and whilst researching how to do that I started researching how to ceramicoat parts.
It takes time and an small outlay to get the paint and spray equipment, but its cheaper than that price you were quoted.
You could even buy a second hand manifold and work on that in your own time then fit it to your car when done, save a fortune and get job satisfaction.

jaygsi 11 May 2018 12:01 PM

Agreed thats just way over priced.

S744hdv 11 May 2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12009474)
Wow that sounds over the top.

I thought it was a bit steep.

S744hdv 11 May 2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 12009482)
Do not use Performance Coatings from Abingdon.
My intercooler pipes cost me £282 they sprayed over some particles on the pipes
They kept my £282 as well !!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

S744hdv 11 May 2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Martianwrx (Post 12009483)
Do it yourself.

I recently ported my own manifold and whilst researching how to do that I started researching how to ceramicoat parts.
It takes time and an small outlay to get the paint and spray equipment, but its cheaper than that price you were quoted.
You could even buy a second hand manifold and work on that in your own time then fit it to your car when done, save a fortune and get job satisfaction.

I will look into it....thanks :thumb:

TECHNOPUG 11 May 2018 12:47 PM

I'd go with Zircotec. Sure they are expensive but that's what proper ceramic coating should cost. They do a lot of work for F1 teams for example. Sure you can paint your own parts or look for someone cheaper but how long will it last and will it actually work as you hoped?

You may just end up with a pretty colour exhaust....

1509joe 11 May 2018 01:41 PM

Yes Zircotec are good and have done some work with F1 teams but that's why they charge F1 prices. Unisurf engineering do a lot of work with rally teams and have done a couple of sets for us and they are A1. The last set including up pipe was £220+ vat. Quick turnaround too. :thumb:

stonejedi 11 May 2018 02:25 PM

Zircotec are quality but expensive in the same breath,if you want workmanship that you can trust, then go with Zircotec,i got my manifold rotated pipe work and turbo exhaust housing done in performance black a good few years ago now and they still look good and keep the temps in check.SJ.

joe v3sti 11 May 2018 02:34 PM

Quality heat wrap, properly fitted is the way to go

stonejedi 11 May 2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 12009508)
Quality heat wrap, properly fitted is the way to go

I was originally going to wrap their are some good wraps out there...but thermal technologies move on and in all honesty I wanted the best for my car as it will never ever be sold:).SJ.

joe v3sti 11 May 2018 04:17 PM

The problem is trying to repair damaged parts that have been ceramic coated is difficult. And if they are gt spec headers, they will more than likely need repairing at some stage.
I just think heatwrap very versatile and if done correctly can add the same benefits as ceramic

S744hdv 11 May 2018 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 12009523)
The problem is trying to repair damaged parts that have been ceramic coated is difficult. And if they are gt spec headers, they will more than likely need repairing at some stage.
I just think heatwrap very versatile and if done correctly can add the same benefits as ceramic

The headers I have at the moment are heat wrapped but the manufacturer of the new ones wont warranty them if they are heat wrapped and are advising to get them coated.

joe v3sti 11 May 2018 07:35 PM

They'll be killer B then

S744hdv 11 May 2018 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 12009550)
They'll be killer B then

Yeah,those are the ones.

CharlesTuna 13 May 2018 01:13 AM

Zircotec always for ceramic coating, had lots coated by them and all came back top quality, within a decent timeframe. I wouldnt use anyone else.

pacenote 13 May 2018 11:27 AM

+1 for Zircotec. They did a top job on a manifold for my RS1800

B4RKO 09 November 2020 02:51 PM

Hey guys,

​​​​​​reviving the tread here I know, but a quick few questions would put my mind at ease before I purchase some headers.

I have a set of gt spec headers repaired (the usual slip joint hair line cracks) and was wondering if any of you lads have ever had a set of repaired headers ceramic coated by say zircotec? if so did they last no problem or did the repaired headers crack again within no time?
I don't want to go down this route if they have or will end up cracking again as it would no doubt save me money in just purchasing a brand new set?
It would be handy to know though before I end up selling or binning the repaired set.

Also does anybody know if it is zircotec who ceramic coat the RCM spec headers now a days that are now available as there is no info available online tbh.

Kind regards troops

MarkRF 09 November 2020 03:07 PM

Zircotec do RCM’s stuff as I found out during lockdown. Top quality work but expensive.

CharlesTuna 09 November 2020 05:22 PM

I've had RCM headers, downpipe, centre and back box coated from new, 3 years 55k miles and still get cracks in the manifold but going to put them back on until they're really blowing. Rest of system is fine. It is Zircotec that RCM use.

B4RKO 09 November 2020 06:20 PM

Thanx Mark,

I did wonder as the company I use mentioned they couldn't hand out that information, which was a tad annoying as zircotec is by far the best for ceramic coating so iv investigated .

Thanx Charles,

Not so good to hear tbh, even though there brand new, and the headers are ceramic coated they still crack, not ideal at all esp for the price of them

1509joe 09 November 2020 06:42 PM

Used these before excellent service and I believe they used to do RCM. Don't know about now.

https://www.metallisation.com/applic...oatings-range/

John 37 11 November 2020 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by S744hdv (Post 12009532)
The headers I have at the moment are heat wrapped but the manufacturer of the new ones wont warranty them if they are heat wrapped and are advising to get them coated.

How will they know once the heat wrap is removed?