ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   woren wheel bearing............whats the worst that can happen? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1054247-woren-wheel-bearing-whats-the-worst-that-can-happen.html)

john_d 10 May 2018 07:30 PM

woren wheel bearing............whats the worst that can happen?

so my van has had a grumble for a while but i ignored it :cuckoo:

anyway, the last mile to my work it got to the point the its loud as feck, i mean proper LOUD, now my work is 22 miles from my house (mostly motorway) so what is the worst that can happen? i know the wheel will wobble and that will transfer up to the steering, is that the worst or can i loose a wheel?

ray54 10 May 2018 07:56 PM

Get a taxi! it's a works van............ffs, why should you take the risk..:cuckoo:

john_d 10 May 2018 08:04 PM

erm................its my van

ALi-B 10 May 2018 08:04 PM

It'll eventually collapse when the balls/rollers decide to escape leaving nothing to hold the inner race in place. If that happens at speed the sudden change in geometry could cause you to lose control, or tear the wheel off completely.

hodgy0_2 10 May 2018 08:08 PM

I had a wheel come off my MK2 Mini Cooper in 1986, on the little bridge just behind Paddington Station

Load "BANG", sudden jolt - then watched my wheel disappear down Bishops Bridge Road - thank fvck it did not hit someone

ossett2k2 10 May 2018 08:39 PM

Ffs did you read what you said? Are you taking the pi55
:facepalm:

ossett2k2 10 May 2018 08:46 PM

To recap....
Your van has been fooked for a 'while' but you couldn't be arsed getting it sorted,risking harm to other people.
It's got so bad it's really dangerous and risking killing yourself or someone else you're asking if you should drive it 22 miles home down a motorway!!
You sir are an idiot!!!

1509joe 10 May 2018 08:48 PM

Wheel will escape it'll get to the point that the only thing that's holding it on is the disc and caliper :(

scoobiepaul 10 May 2018 10:50 PM

If you continue to drive the car the heat generated by the knackered bearing will eventually weld everything together and lock the wheel up/ lose the wheel. Probably under £80 to fix.

yabbadoo4 10 May 2018 11:20 PM

this cant be a real question surely??? :Suspiciou:rolleyes::cuckoo:

JDM_Stig 10 May 2018 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 12009395)
To recap....
Your van has been fooked for a 'while' but you couldn't be arsed getting it sorted,risking harm to other people.
It's got so bad it's really dangerous and risking killing yourself or someone else you're asking if you should drive it 22 miles home down a motorway!!
You sir are an idiot!!!

We have our best entry for the Darwin awards 2018 :thumb:

dpb 11 May 2018 07:17 AM

^Qwerty^ 11 May 2018 11:07 AM

And because you've posted on here that you knew about it, you'll be f'ed when you swerve off the road and plough in to a puppy farm/primary school/bus stop ;)

SmurfyBhoy 11 May 2018 11:23 AM

It should be fine,

Drive faster and noise should go away eventually.......

coupe_20vt 11 May 2018 12:30 PM

:lol::lol:

ALi-B 11 May 2018 01:38 PM

Oh, and you can go to jail if your van causes a accident. You can also be financially liable for damages from any third party involved, and your insurance can be voided as you know it's unroadworthy.

ray54 11 May 2018 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by john_d (Post 12009386)
erm................its my van

If your van is a pile of sh*t, begs the question, what,s your work like........:eek:

RobsyUK 12 May 2018 06:36 PM

Ring your break down cover and get them to transport the van to your work

pimmo2000 12 May 2018 10:06 PM

best way to deal with a noise like that is to turn the radio up ..

ray54 12 May 2018 10:57 PM

Well john! you asked for it, it's your work van that you rely on!, moral of the story is keep it well maintained and it won't let you down.

It's your livelihood at the end of the day........:wonder:

ossett2k2 13 May 2018 03:33 AM

Hmmm no reply!
He's probably in a ditch somewhere licking his windscreen.

john_d 13 May 2018 09:13 AM

Sorry but im still alive and well

It's NOT my works van, it's my van I use to DRIVE to work

As for the van being a pile of ****e, bearings need replaced on cars (including scoobies), does that mean they're a pile of ****e also?

beanbaby 13 May 2018 09:18 AM

So did you risk it in the end??

john_d 13 May 2018 09:30 AM

Nope it still at my work, I've got a replacement hub Im fitting tomorrow, never thought I would get so much ****E, for asking an honest question....... I'll know better next time

Funkii Munkii 13 May 2018 07:06 PM

Come on man it was a dumb ass question, surely you can see that.

You'd have been hung out to dry in SN's heyday and people would have remembered this thread for years, pulling it back up every few years for a giggle at your expense once more

I'd be pleased you got off so lightly :thumb:

ray54 13 May 2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by john_d (Post 12009737)
Nope it still at my work, I've got a replacement hub Im fitting tomorrow, never thought I would get so much ****E, for asking an honest question....... I'll know better next time

Come on give us a pic of the van!

Glad you did,nt risk it, better safe than sorry :thumb:

Dos,nt pay to let things go mate, next time "say your steering wheel comes off" don,t be coming on SN asking about the loose nut! :lol1:

Stay safe mate!! O and use an axle stand,We don't want any posts from your hospital bed....

scousefly 23 May 2018 12:03 PM

I wasn't

going to answer just on the basis you cannot spell worn but I was bored so my 2 penithworth is I think all the comments so far have been fairly accurate about your lack of thought and safety for both you and the public who unfortunately share any roads you travel on

andy97 23 May 2018 03:04 PM

There is me worried about potential seized brake nipples way ahead of next service. A worn bearing must of been noticable for quite a whilehttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...377db9ab43.jpg

ALi-B 23 May 2018 09:36 PM

Depends on how loud the radio is :lol1:

I always seem to end up in a taxis (when not using my usual driver) with a noisy wheel bearing, I then spend the rest of the journey wondering if the driver knows, and for how long it's been like that. :o Sometimes do ask and the reply is "yeah yeah, it's booked in to be sorted mate." :rolleyes:

Hence why I prefer to use my usual taxi driver: I look after his car...last one was e60 BMW, 300,000 miles, original wheel bearings (and DPF :) ). His current taxi is a Merc w204..180k so far, still good. :cool:

ALi-B 23 May 2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 12011011)
There is me worried about potential seized brake nipples way ahead of next service. A worn bearing must of been noticable for quite a whilehttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...377db9ab43.jpg

I even stripped and exercised the calipers on the Altea for its 10th birthday...knowing full well how the rear caliper bracket bolts seize in the hub carrier as well as the piston seizing (which affects all VAGs on the same shared chassis) as it's still on the original pads, oh and some zinc rich paint, as I stupidly tried an Albanian car valeters to clean it who must of used brick-acid to clean the wheels as it stripped off the galvanised coating on the caliper and hubs...it managed 9 years without getting rusty calipers, then one day with a valeter, they were rusty as f**k within a week :mad:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...f28e82dc2.jpeg

It also gets a liberal coating of duck oil underneath every year; looks like a 3yr old car underneath.