ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   Need some good advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/1054140-need-some-good-advice.html)

Swayzy1 02 May 2018 11:50 PM

Need some good advice

can any one point me in the rite direction please ? I have a 05 wrx and I’m thinking of upgrading my turbo but am not sure what one to get ?, as I don’t won’t to put to much stress on the engine , plus am not sure what sort bhp it can handle before I need to start up rating other parts !?, the car is currently at 330 bhp with cosworth induction kit and is also decated with upgraded exhaust system, will be grateful for some feed back thanks j

Hawkins 1995 03 May 2018 12:23 AM

Vf35 is a good upgrade

The Trooper 1815 03 May 2018 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Swayzy1 (Post 12008334)
can any one point me in the rite direction please ? I have a 05 wrx and I’m thinking of upgrading my turbo but am not sure what one to get ?, as I don’t won’t to put to much stress on the engine , plus am not sure what sort bhp it can handle before I need to start up rating other parts !?, the car is currently at 330 bhp with cosworth induction kit and is also decated with upgraded exhaust system, will be grateful for some feed back thanks j

Think about a clutch and stopping first.
:thumb:

Swayzy1 03 May 2018 09:05 PM

I have uprated my brakes so you say about the clutch what gains will I get from that and what would you recommend ? Also would you say clutch before turbo ?

stonejedi 03 May 2018 09:31 PM

What turbo are you running alreadyTD04?330 horses is good for the mods that you have mentioned that you have done,you would be hard pushed to get 350 from a VF35,decide how much power you are hoping to run and spec a turbo to suit.SJ.

stonejedi 03 May 2018 09:38 PM

Clutch wise when/if needed...a Exedy pink box clutch would be more then enough to cope with 400+bhp/torque,but if your clutch is not slipping I would not worry about it until it gives up,you have already done the sensible thing by upgrading the brakes before adding more power.SJ.

Swayzy1 03 May 2018 09:43 PM

Iv still got the standard turbo in the car is that a td04 ? Dont mean to sound clueless but I’m pretty new to all of this ! I would like to get up to 400 bhp with good torque what would you suggest and would I need to do any thing else to the engine so it could cope with that sort of power ? Thanks for your reply ��

Rob Day 03 May 2018 09:53 PM

How much are you willing to spend?

400bhp on the WRX base model is quite expensive.

Swayzy1 03 May 2018 10:02 PM

I’m looking at spending around 1500 but would spend abit more to reach my goal of 400bhp but also don’t won’t to push the engine to much and start having problems with it ?

Rob Day 03 May 2018 10:11 PM

Unsure if already mentioned, but let's assume you need to spend £3-4k to get it close to 400bhp, which by the way is still on standard engine internals and gearbox. You then need to think, how long is this going to last, and what do I modify next. Personally, and this is only my opinion, the base model for cheap and reliable power needs to be an STI. gearbox - good for over 600bhp, Brembo's with the right disc pad combo - good doing power, engine - already partially forged - good for up to 450 if mapped right etc...

It's a hard choice, but £10k generally gets a very good saloon these days with the power you are looking for.

So not too **** on your chips - if funds are right and you enjoy the walk of modifying a car knowing you'll not get your money back that you put into it, then carry on with your WRX. It'll still make you grin from ear to ear when you get it just right...

stonejedi 04 May 2018 06:05 AM

Rob Day has hit the nail on the head and in all honesty that’s the delema that you are facing.SJ.

TECHNOPUG 04 May 2018 12:46 PM

You don't have 330bhp if you still have a TD04 turbo. Simply not possible. Even a TD04 hybrid would need to be running "grenade" levels of boost.

300bhp would be the absolute most but that would need a bigger fuel pump and injectors. With just induction and exhaust you're going to be hitting around 280bhp.

330bhp is a realistic figures with bigger pump & injectors plus a turbo from an STi such as VF35/TD05 and improved intercooling. More than that and you'd need an aftermarket turbo and supporting parts. That's when everything starts getting expensive.

But as said, if you want more than 330bhp, buying an STi as a base makes far more sense.