ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Creaky Spring in Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1054125-creaky-spring-in-brakes.html)

SubieJack 01 May 2018 10:27 PM

Creaky Spring in Brakes

Not long after I took my scoob out onto the track for 30 mins I could hear what sounds like a creaking spring when coming to a stop.

I experienced pretty bad brake fade after a few laps and now the first half of my pedal has a bit of travel.

Anyone have any ideas as to why my front right brake sounds like a creaking spring when coming to a stop?

albob 02 May 2018 02:06 PM

Wear indicator rubbing ?

SubieJack 02 May 2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by albob (Post 12008241)
Wear indicator rubbing ?

Thanks for getting back to me!

Are you talking about the wear indicator on the pads or the discs? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Could this noise also be caused by air in the system/bad brake fluid?

I think worst case it's a new caliper but I can't see why, unless they're prone to going? It's not like the brakes bind at all.

albob 02 May 2018 09:18 PM

"Are you talking about the wear indicator on the pads or the discs?"

Pads - little metal bit (on pad) starts to rub on discs as the pad wears

"Could this noise also be caused by air in the system/bad brake fluid?"

Very much doubt it....

SubieJack 02 May 2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by albob (Post 12008312)
"Are you talking about the wear indicator on the pads or the discs?"

Pads - little metal bit (on pad) starts to rub on discs as the pad wears

"Could this noise also be caused by air in the system/bad brake fluid?"

Very much doubt it....

It isn't a constant noise when on the brakes, but almost like something is hitting something as the rotor rotates so that could be it yeah! It just sounds like a spring is creaking as I start to slow right down at slow speeds, but it's definitely not a constant sound as said above.

maydew 02 May 2018 10:07 PM

have you got the metal shims fitted between the pad and piston? remove these and check for the noise

SubieJack 04 May 2018 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 12008322)
have you got the metal shims fitted between the pad and piston? remove these and check for the noise

I'll have to pull them apart and check this - thanks mate.

Could it be something in the caliper causing that sort of creaking spring noise? Can't imagine it as they're just pistons?

bostwa-my00 05 May 2018 12:49 PM

Mine do this as well, mostly if i push the pedal slowly when in traffic or stopped.
originally thought it was the master cylinder but recent mot shiwed it was coming from the calliper.
im gonna strip them and cooper grease everything

Vxr2010 06 May 2018 07:04 PM

check caliper bolts are tight , second option is the back plate on the pad , i had creaking before on my brembos took it all out re greased put it back in and it was fine