ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Buying shares (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1054097-buying-shares.html)

RobsyUK 30 April 2018 10:13 AM

Buying shares

Is there an app that makes buying shares simple?

or a website where I just put x amount in and say I want it here and done.

help me folks please

LostUser 30 April 2018 12:21 PM

Have a look at Hargreaves Lansdown. www.hl.co.uk

Website is very easy to use. They have a mobile app but I can't remember if you can buy\sell through the app

Dr Hu 30 April 2018 01:19 PM

Yes - open an Account with Hargreaves Lansdown.
You can buy shares to put in an ISA or just buy them in an Savings Account, or alternatively they are a full fund platform so you can buy funds and/or shares all into the same account.

Ahhh! - Beaten by LostUser - hahahaha

stilover 30 April 2018 03:37 PM

You can use your bank. I have a share account with the Halifax. Had it for years. Easy to use, and as I bank with the Halifax it was just easier to do.

stevebt 30 April 2018 06:50 PM

I started up a Halifax share account which took a few minutes online but you have to transfer cash into to start trading.

dpb 30 April 2018 07:31 PM

Got interactive investor on phone , apparently not great - havnt dealt once with it

was td trading and somthing else before that ( when i was in )

Dr Hu 01 May 2018 10:25 AM

Also if you want to 'day trade' or at least turn them over quickly maybe look at something like etoro - on this platform you can buy and sell CFD's - which mean you never actually own the share and dont get dividends, but you don't hold them long enough anyhow, but you buy at one price and sell at another all with minutes if you want.....

stevebt 01 May 2018 11:30 AM

Its £12.50 a transaction on Halifax so if yiu buy and sell in a day there is £25 plus what ever stamp duty you are due to pay.

Olddriver 02 May 2018 04:40 PM

I have used The Share Centre for 20 years and never seen a reason to change. More suited to a long term investor rather than a day trader. If you haven't already used your ISA allocation, you can open a Self Select ISA with them to avoid CGT. You deposit money in the account via a debit card and can then start to buy & sell.

RobsyUK 13 May 2018 03:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

i has a tip on a a company signing a big deal and knew it wasn’t going to be announced to the public until the following Monday.

i had a week to stock up on shares.

i didn’t realise they were £137 each so my £200 pocket money wasn’t really going to get me much.

they went up £10 each but after admin fees it wouldn’t have been worthwhile.

luckily a certain someone had £16,000 in the shares and cashed them out 😁

hedgecutter 13 May 2018 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12009773)
Thanks for the replies.

i has a tip on a a company signing a big deal and knew it wasn’t going to be announced to the public until the following Monday.

i had a week to stock up on shares.

i didn’t realise they were £137 each so my £200 pocket money wasn’t really going to get me much.

they went up £10 each but after admin fees it wouldn’t have been worthwhile.

luckily a certain someone had £16,000 in the shares and cashed them out 😁

Personally I wouldn't admit to insider dealing on a public forum!

Skoobie Dhu 13 May 2018 07:51 PM

^ what he said, you could've even just made it a bit vaguer 'poss deal'.

SouthWalesSam 16 May 2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Olddriver (Post 12008264)
I have used The Share Centre for 20 years and never seen a reason to change. More suited to a long term investor rather than a day trader. If you haven't already used your ISA allocation, you can open a Self Select ISA with them to avoid CGT. You deposit money in the account via a debit card and can then start to buy & sell.

Ditto. What he said.
The Share Centre at share.com make it very easy.
You can even complete an additional form to allow you to trade in non-UK listed share like the tech companies.