ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Laser jammer Range Rover driver who gave police the finger (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1054012-laser-jammer-range-rover-driver-who-gave-police-the-finger.html)

JDM_Stig 24 April 2018 12:10 PM

Laser jammer Range Rover driver who gave police the finger

https://northyorkshire.police.uk/new...jammer-prison/

Laser jammer Range Rover driver who gave police the finger is handed an eight-month prison sentence
Posted on 23 April 2018 at 15:36pm in News stories

A company director who fitted a laser jammer to his Range Rover and made rude gestures as he drove past police safety cameras has been jailed.

Timothy Hill, 67, threw the device in a river behind his home in Grassington when he found out that officers had launched an investigation.

But today he was jailed for eight months at Teesside Crown Court and banned from driving for a year for perverting the course of justice.

Hill drove past North Yorkshire Police’s mobile safety camera vans on the A19 near Easingwold, Thirsk and Crathorne on three occasions in December.

On all three occasions, he was photographed gesturing at the camera with his middle finger. Police also detected a laser jammer on his white Range Rover.

Officers began an investigation and Hill initially lied about where the vehicle was and tried to destroy the jammer.

But after officers visited his home and interviewed him about the incidents, he admitted he had fitted the device to his car.

Police were unable to ascertain his speed but charged him with perverting the course of justice, which he pleaded guilty to at court.

The judge who jailed Hill said such actions “strike at the heart” of the justice system and his sentence must act as a deterrent to others.

Traffic Constable Andrew Forth, who led the investigation for North Yorkshire Police, said afterward: “If you want to attract our attention, repeatedly gesturing at police camera vans with your middle finger while you’re driving a distinctive car fitted with a laser jammer is an excellent way to do it.

“It’s also an excellent way to end up in prison. As Hill’s case shows, perverting the course of justice is a very serious charge which carries a custodial sentence.

“It’s our job to keep road users safe across all 6,000 miles of North Yorkshire’s roads. Mobile safety camera vans are an important tool to do that – they are proven to reduce collisions and they help save lives.

“Drivers who fit laser jammers may mistakenly feel smug about ‘getting one over’ on the police. But we can tell if motorists are using these devices, and we will always endeavour to bring them to justice.”

ossett2k2 24 April 2018 12:19 PM

What a great justice system we have,8 months prison is harsh as fuk!
Scumbags who go around breaking into houses,stealing cars and speeding around getting chased by cops get less or no jail time :mad:

dpb 24 April 2018 01:08 PM

If you want to attract our attention, repeatedly gesturing at police camera vans with your middle finger while you’re driving a distinctive car fitted with a laser jammer is an excellent way to do it.

taking one for the team lol

Fishbowlhead 24 April 2018 01:16 PM

But it's fine to talk and text on your mobile and smoke weed while driving though apparently?

dpb 24 April 2018 01:17 PM

No its illegal !

Tidgy 24 April 2018 01:21 PM

Have to say given some of the opther sentances handed out for much more serious crimes does seem overly harsh.

Why not fine him a weeks pay and ban him for a year, you know just like ant did from drink driving and crashing.

JDM_Stig 24 April 2018 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12006988)
Have to say given some of the opther sentances handed out for much more serious crimes does seem overly harsh.

Why not fine him a weeks pay and ban him for a year, you know just like ant did from drink driving and crashing.

Totally agree

wrx300scooby 24 April 2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12006988)

Got to agree, too many times are sentences not in line with the severity of the crime. The driver did come across as an arrogant barsteward though.

boggissimo 24 April 2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby (Post 12006993)
Got to agree, too many times are sentences not in line with the severity of the crime. The driver did come across as an arrogant barsteward though.

"The judge who jailed Hill said such actions “strike at the heart” of the justice system and his sentence must act as a deterrent to others."

i.e. they are making an example of him, so it gets in the news and other entitled wankers aren't quite as sure they'll get away with doing the same thing.

I suspect it will be appealed and the sentence reduced (he's rich enough to afford the legal fees) so that he doesn't actually serve any time, but that won't make the headlines...

dpb 24 April 2018 04:00 PM

Thinks HE should be allowed to go faster than everyone else , why

wrx300scooby 24 April 2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by boggissimo (Post 12007000)
"The judge who jailed Hill said such actions “strike at the heart” of the justice system and his sentence must act as a deterrent to others."

i.e. they are making an example of him, so it gets in the news and other entitled wankers aren't quite as sure they'll get away with doing the same thing.

I suspect it will be appealed and the sentence reduced (he's rich enough to afford the legal fees) so that he doesn't actually serve any time, but that won't make the headlines...

What you're saying doesn't work for Ant though, does it.

markjmd 24 April 2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by boggissimo (Post 12007000)

Getting off a perverting the course of justice charge with no jail time? Pretty unlikely, considering even MPs go down for it.

The Trooper 1815 24 April 2018 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fishbowlhead (Post 12006985)
But it's fine to talk and text on your mobile and smoke weed while driving though apparently?

I detect irony but feel it as fell on deaf ears.

alcazar 24 April 2018 06:59 PM

What he did was strike at the heart of the scam that is netting the government £millions.
No wonder he got sent down. You threaten their revenue stream, they will get nasty.:mad:

dpb 24 April 2018 08:14 PM

Lol

madscoob 24 April 2018 10:28 PM

often wondered, if camera vans are all about safety, WHY DO THEY PUT THEM IN THE ONLY 5 PLACES ITS SAFE TO OVERTAKE ON THE A361 IN DEVON, safety my ass its all about MONEY

wrx300scooby 24 April 2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 12007066)
often wondered, if camera vans are all about safety, WHY DO THEY PUT THEM IN THE ONLY 5 PLACES ITS SAFE TO OVERTAKE ON THE A361 IN DEVON, safety my ass its all about MONEY

That's why we live in a democracy, 'cos we all agree with what is thrust upon us.

Felix. 24 April 2018 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 12007066)

Don't go over the speed limit to overtake then.

1509joe 24 April 2018 11:12 PM

Here we go the preaching's about to start.

RICHARD J 25 April 2018 01:54 AM

Should have just taken his number plates off. Probably would have got a lesser sentence if they had even caught him, and saved the cost of the jammer ��

ray54 25 April 2018 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12007075)
Here we go the preaching's about to start.

If ever there was a plod to give the :hjtwofing to its this d*ckhead. :D

Felix. 25 April 2018 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ray54 (Post 12007089)
If ever there was a plod to give the :hjtwofing to its this d*ckhead. :D

What, by saying 'don't go over the speed limit'?

Did you manage to stick to the speed limit when you did your driving test?

Or - if you like to speed, then just accept the fact that you take chance when you do so

neil-h 25 April 2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 12007090)

Or - if you like to speed, then just accept the fact that you take chance when you do so

Careful, that's perilously close to asking people to take personal responsibility. :lol1:

Tidgy 25 April 2018 12:48 PM

so you should pass the car within the speed limit and hit the car in the other lane head on because the over take speed is so low.

or would it be safer to get by reasonably faster?

i suggest the later myself.

andy97 25 April 2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12007130)
so you should pass the car within the speed limit and hit the car in the other lane head on because the over take speed is so low.

If the vehicle in front is traveling at or near the prescribed speed limit, why is there a need to overtake? All an overtake does is put you and other road users at risk, you get no further ahead apart from a cars length.

I actually don't bother overtaking these days, stick my car on adaptive auto cruise, it just follows the car Infront 2 seconds behind, alot less stressful.

alcazar 25 April 2018 02:04 PM

Oh dear, here speaks one of the hated coppers who STILL doesn't understand why, LOL

So, Felix, there are no artificially low limits in the UK? No cameras positioned in otherwise safe places JUSt to catch someone who goes over an arbitrary limit?

Cue Felix to come out with the bullsh*t about it being the law...like that bothers coppers going for a conviction, stealing and selling drugs....etc

But oh, I forgot, YOU never do owt like that, do you Felix, so your sanctimonious bullcr@p is OK to spout:rolleyes:

JDM_Stig 25 April 2018 02:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Speaking of sneaky, are these real images ?

Felix. 25 April 2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12007130)

Then it wasn't safe to overtake then - careless or dangerous driving

alcazar 25 April 2018 04:47 PM

:rolleyes:

ray54 25 April 2018 06:47 PM

Can you be done for traveling to slow?

I ask as i pass a local speed cash van at 15 mph for safety reasons,( it's a 30 limit dual carriageway) it has many potholes & the low sun often shines in my eyes.:Whatever_:wonder: