ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Ireland & Northern Ireland (https://www.scoobynet.com/ireland-and-northern-ireland-27/)
-   -   Powerflow exhaust systems (https://www.scoobynet.com/ireland-and-northern-ireland-27/105401-powerflow-exhaust-systems.html)

Hong Kong Phooey 15 June 2002 08:04 PM

called into a place in Newtownabbey today which makes these. Stainless steel (don't know what grade), lifetime guarantee, made to order. Got quoted £325 for a centre section and back box with choice of tail pipes eg.Blitz Nur Spec type, 6x4 oval, twin 3.5" etc.
anyone know how good these are? I don't care if my exhaust doesn't have Blitz or Magnex etc. stamped on it! Price sounds good.

bug-eyed wonder 15 June 2002 09:01 PM

I got my centre and BB fromPERFORMANCE SUBARU. I paid just under £300 but I think this was an offer at the time.

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 16 June 2002 12:29 PM

Powerflow ( Dee's Exhausts ) can only bend pipe max dia 2 1/4" I tried to get stuff from him before, and all his silencer were max 2 1/4" ( unless things have changed from then ). I do not see how any performance car could benefit from an exhaust this size. It is far too small. That said, I think his workmanship is OK, as are the quality of the pipe/silencers, and he does plenty of corsa's, saxo's etc... Just because they have big tail pipes, doesnt mean the rest of the system is suitably sized. For all the price of a Magnex or similar, Id just buy the real thing. Isnt the Magnex around £300 anyway? As is Mongoose, although the magnex is better quality and quieter.
£325 from Powerflow sounds a little expensive.
2 1/4" is far too small for any subaru impreza turbo, especially if you intend tuning. 1/4" may nit sound like much, but it is a huge difference. Magnex is 2 1/2", Mongoose is 3" as are a lot of Jap systems. Not sure about the scoobysport systems.

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 6/16/2002 12:33:31 PM]

SUNDAY DRIVER 16 June 2002 10:16 PM

Dees exhausts made me a 3''(maybe 2 3/4?) stainless centre and backbox for my wrx about a year and a half ago(all in one piece).Great exhaust-graet sound and build with noticeable power gains.And it cost £200 all in.
SD.

Sloaner 16 June 2002 10:27 PM

I got a back box with a 4 1/2" Blitz tail last week. Great to realase the sounds effects - wish I had done it a long time ago. Dee is very good and not hard to pay - Best £200 I`ve spent on the car. I wanted a full system with down pipe and no cat etc but he advised against it becasue of new MOT rergulations next year. Its a big job putting the cat back in. Not worth the hassle.

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 17 June 2002 01:24 AM

I tried to purchase silencer of him to make my own system for another car. He could not supply me with anything over 2 1/4", so I dont see how he can make an exhaust for anyone else of larger diameter. Perhaps its a 2 1/4" silencer, with big pipes welded to each side, to look like a bigger system??
This was about a year ago. as for the ability to put the cat back in... If you buy a magnex or similar system, it would take all of 30 mins to put the centre cat back in, as everything is a direct replacement fitting wise compared to std. This also applies to a scoobysport front pipe, which is a direct replacement for the original cat item. The centre cat should easily suffice for the car to safely pass mot, which is as I say, a simple job to replace for mot. I think the Scoobysport is too. I am not questioning the workmanship of Dee's, just that quality aftermarket exhausts come with the same fitting flanges as the OE subaru item, making any subsequent changes very easy.

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 6/17/2002 1:26:25 AM]

Gavin G 17 June 2002 09:23 AM

If I were you I'd stay away from Powerflow, they are total rubbish. My MY98 had a Powerflow back box on it when I bought it and it sounded terrible. It made a lot of noise and wasn't a nice sound at all.

It was less than a year old and the baffles inside of it had started to fall apart and the outside had started to get rusty. As far as I know, Powerflow exhausts are not made of a high grade stainless steel like other SS exhausts. I know a few mates of mine who also had similiar problems.

I replaced it with a Magnex BB and it made such a difference to the sound of the car.

Cheers,

Gavin G

mrp 18 June 2002 06:56 PM

I don't want to knock powerflow as I have no personal experience of their work. My view would be that established brands spend £000's developing their products (prototyping different diameter pipes, silencers, tailpipes etc.) to give good power, torque etc. Can someone making up a system on spec achieve the same optimum result?

[Edited by mrp - 6/18/2002 6:57:29 PM]

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 19 June 2002 02:25 AM

Buy a proper system for your car from a recognized manufacturer. Better value, quality, and fit. Magnex..best value/quality around in my book, and not too noisy.