ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Flocking... what’s your thoughts (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1053433-flocking-what-s-your-thoughts.html)

crazyspeedfreakz 22 March 2018 12:53 PM

Flocking... what’s your thoughts

Hi peeps .... I’m having the upper and lower dash flocked black, I’m just debating with myself if I should flock the center console so back past the handbrake also in black... or if people just leave it at the bottom half of dash ?

I just don’t want it to look like half a job also in two minds wether to have the ati pod done also or should I just leave that in the standard plastic grey/ black colour...

Cheers CSF

WRXrowdy 22 March 2018 05:56 PM

Personally, I would only do the upper part of dash, I definitely wouldn't bother with the centre console and as far back as you are going, would just be a dust and crap magnet, in my opinion.

Main purpose of flocking is to stop sun reflecting the top of dash in the windscreen, for motorsport application, hence why it's usually only the top half that is done.

Hawkeye D 22 March 2018 07:08 PM

As above, plus it looks crap in other areas where it wears out etc. Even the dash will need some TLC every so often, not sure how it's cleaned, maybe a gentle vacuum with a soft brush attachment?

crazyspeedfreakz 22 March 2018 07:21 PM

I saw this pic online and thought it looked
quite smart all the way through...

Yes I no that it’s intended use if for motorsport use plenty have
Had flocking done with it not been done for that intention though... my Impreza
Isn’t A track car but I do like the look of a flocked dash... no silly colours
Just all black.

If it was track car I would just do the top half but as it’s a road car though
But I do agree it will be abit of a dust magnet though.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...37f511273.jpeg

domino46 22 March 2018 09:00 PM

iv done plenty in my scoobs and have always just done the top as thats bad enough to keep the bits off ,, tape in the glove box is a must for removing the bits lol,, my current one
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...c6f6971a71.jpg

crazyspeedfreakz 23 March 2018 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 12001614)
iv done plenty in my scoobs and have always just done the top as thats bad enough to keep the bits off ,, tape in the glove box is a must for removing the bits lol,, my current one
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...c6f6971a71.jpg

I think with the curves on the hatch dash it really suits just the top half
The Newage dash is a lot more square so to speak... so I’m think I’m just going
To pull the lot out :D

Steve001 23 March 2018 11:13 AM

Not sure how difficult or even possible to trim the dash in Alcantara? Seems to work/mould it's shape to seats, steering wheels etc.

Matty81 23 March 2018 11:22 AM

Where did you have yours done domino46 ?

WRXrowdy 23 March 2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 12001690)
Not sure how difficult or even possible to trim the dash in Alcantara? Seems to work/mould it's shape to seats, steering wheels etc.

I was going to suggest the same, if it's aesthetics you are going for. Something I have thought I would like to have done, edged with blue stitching.
Would probably cost a lot more than flocking though!

jaygsi 23 March 2018 12:18 PM

I really don't get flocking, think it looks kack. I don't get the thinking behind it. In the classic i like the plain black dash.

domino46 23 March 2018 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 12001692)
Where did you have yours done domino46 ?

FCM motorsport done the flocking and done a good job as iv used others and it wasn't as good , swapped it over myself :thumb:

domino46 23 March 2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12001705)
I really don't get flocking, think it looks kack. I don't get the thinking behind it. In the classic i like the plain black dash.

the dash reflects on the bottom of the screen in the sun , this stops it , also the hatch dash has a rather plastic feel about it and this also makes things look and feel better ,, but its all opinion , I like it and happy with it ;)

NotFromSomerset 23 March 2018 01:12 PM

Do the whole lot. Anything to cover the horrible plastics

jaygsi 23 March 2018 01:33 PM

Think it just looks cheap and tacky and abit of a boy racer mod. I would never buy an Impreza with it fitted. Looks like carpet world threw up on your dash :lol1:

Originally Posted by domino46
the dash reflects on the bottom of the screen in the sun , this stops it , also the hatch dash has a rather plastic feel about it and this also makes things look and feel better ,, but its all opinion , I like it and happy with it ;)

crazyspeedfreakz 23 March 2018 01:55 PM

All out :) that wire that runs along the back was abit of a pig but
Sorted now and ready for flocking :)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...cb178c84a.jpeg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...d104967e88.jpg

hardcoreimpreza 23 March 2018 02:36 PM

Wouldn't flock it. At best retirm in leather.

gussy 23 March 2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz (Post 12001726)
All out :) that wire that runs along the back was abit of a pig but
Sorted now and ready for flocking :)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...cb178c84a.jpeg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...d104967e88.jpg

CSF I would do the top and bottom steering cowels as well then it all matches

crazyspeedfreakz 23 March 2018 07:17 PM

Hmmmm uve got me thinking :lol1:

johnlogie 23 March 2018 10:02 PM

My dash has been flocked for about 8 years. The plastic on the classic dash reflected the light and was a pain on the few days it was sunny, especially on track when it’s nice to be able to see. The problem is it degrades and starts to flake through time and it’s a pain to keep clean. I find one of the sticky roller things best for that

Matty81 24 March 2018 01:59 PM

Where are they based mate ? And what was the charge if you don’t mind me asking ?. Your right on the plastic feel in a hatch though.

crazyspeedfreakz 24 March 2018 02:02 PM

I have a Newage blob jdm... I’ve just had all the stuff dropped down to
The place today £295 for everything so upper lower dash / center console
Pod and a few other bits

crazyspeedfreakz 24 March 2018 02:02 PM

Based Surrey / London

stonejedi 24 March 2018 02:53 PM

It should look good when its done:thumb:....but it will attract loads of dust...had it all done on my own car "blob" but I ended up taking off the centre console and lower dash and prefer it like that now.SJ.

domino46 24 March 2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 12001933)
Where are they based mate ? And what was the charge if you don’t mind me asking ?. Your right on the plastic feel in a hatch though.

bristol , was around £70 to have just the top dash done but they done a good job aswell

joz8968 24 March 2018 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi

It was originally done in racing cars, to eliminate glare from the sun reflecting off the plastic dash top. And as a result, it eventually became a mod for petrolheads "...because racecar".

Apologies if you were already aware of this.

I personally dig it (but not its long-term fragility to wear and tear, etc.)

Matty81 24 March 2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 12001981)
bristol , was around £70 to have just the top dash done but they done a good job aswell

That’s a good price actually. Did you remove the dash yourself ?

domino46 24 March 2018 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 12001988)
That’s a good price actually. Did you remove the dash yourself ?

yeah do all my own work :thumb:

Matty81 24 March 2018 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 12001993)
yeah do all my own work :thumb:

Dunno if I’m that brave! :D

But I like the flocking though! I’d only do the top dash also.

Looks great mate :thumb:

ray54 24 March 2018 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12001705)

Same............I get the idea sun reflecting on dash, but if you feel you have to have it, why not just trim dash top with something less tacky, matt black leather maybe.:wonder:.

Come resale your going to have to find someone who has same mindset as you, moreover hope they like the look and feel.
It,s a bit like sticking a race numbers on the doors, yes race cars have them, and you may think you look like a racing car. :o

Each to their own, if we were all the same blar blar blar :thumb:

domino46 25 March 2018 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ray54 (Post 12002016)
Same............I get the idea sun reflecting on dash, but if you feel you have to have it, why not just trim dash top with something less tacky, matt black leather maybe.:wonder:.

Come resale your going to have to find someone who has same mindset as you, moreover hope they like the look and feel.
It,s a bit like sticking a race numbers on the doors, yes race cars have them, and you may think you look like a racing car. :o

Each to their own, if we were all the same blar blar blar :thumb:

after speaking to the man that done all my interior re trimming I didn't want to bother to be honest as he said that most of the time it won't fit back that great due to the thickness of the leather and can cause unwanted gaps where parts meet and being he is a pro I thought I would listen to him,, its also around £500 to get it done nice so just a bit more than £70 lol

have you seen the standard dash in the hatchback ? apart from it reflecting the sun terribly it also looks like Subaru has cut up a wheelie bin and used that as the plastic feel is terrible so needs something to improve it
I like the look and the feel of the flocking but it has nothing to do with thinking I look like a race car as I have a race car for that lol

took my last hawk for a trade in at the dealers and they loved the dash and i have sold quite a few Subarus with a flocked dash and didn't seem to hurt the resale to be honest